Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rear Suspension

Whiteshadow89158

Corvette
1981 dark purple coupe
Hey guys and gals, I'm flying out to Mass in two weeks to finish my rear-end rebuild and finally ship the car out here to sunny california. My question is, which parts need to be re-assembled in the air and which parts need the cars weight? I would check the assembly manual except i had that shipped to Mass with the parts:duh Also, it looks like i forgot to order a spacer and shim set for the bearings. is this a fairly popular item that i can buy at an auto parts store or should i go ahead and order this online? I'm going to attempt to reassemble the the trailing arms myself with the help of my cousnt and the CAM. I purchased the spindle installation tool from zip for this, does anyone have experience with this tool? or know how easy to use this is? Thanks everyone, ill post pics of the rear-end in a few minutes. :thumb

1.jpg6.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

you can see where bubba welded the castle nut on one of the spindle's and torched out a rectangle on the trailing arm next to the spindle. :ugh :eyerole. I also found the leaf spring to be cracked. I have ordered all new parts and the only parts that will be stock is the right side spindle support bracket, Deff., and the Deff. cross-member. I initially only wanted to replace all of the bushings and as i got further and further into the rear-end i kept finding safety issues and parts either "fabricated" or just plain missing all thanks to bubba. :duh:BDH< Me

My question is, which parts need to be re-assembled in the air and which parts need the cars weight?

The entire rear suspension and driveline can (and should) be assembled in the air - there is no need to have the weight on any components except when doing the actual alignment.

Also, it looks like i forgot to order a spacer and shim set for the bearings. is this a fairly popular item that i can buy at an auto parts store or should i go ahead and order this online?

You cannot get the spacer or the shims for the Vette rear bearing setup from an auto parts store - you need to get these from a Vette specialty supplier such as Paragon.

I purchased the spindle installation tool from zip for this, does anyone have experience with this tool? or know how easy to use this is?

There is no tool needed to install the spindle - you install it and check the bearing endplay. You then disassemble it, tailor the shims to correct this endplay, and re-assemble it. I have a used spindle with the bearing races ground undersized that I use as a setup tool to avoid having to press the spindle in and out during this setup process - if their tool simulates the spindle during the setup procedure it would make the process very simple: I assume it is probably a "bearing setup tool" and not an "installation tool."

Lars

Just a comment here, most likely the nut was welded to the spindle due to the threads being stripped. If the spindle/bearing fit is too tight, attempting to pull the spindle into the bearing support will strip the threads. Another piece of the rear suspension that tends to get fubar'd is the half shaft axle flange. If not careful when pressing in new u-joints, the flanges will get bent or warped out of shape. Good luck with getting your project un-bubba-fied.

The entire rear suspension and driveline can (and should) be assembled in the air - there is no need to have the weight on any components except when doing the actual alignment.

You cannot get the spacer or the shims for the Vette rear bearing setup from an auto parts store - you need to get these from a Vette specialty supplier such as Paragon.

There is no tool needed to install the spindle - you install it and check the bearing endplay. You then disassemble it, tailor the shims to correct this endplay, and re-assemble it. I have a used spindle with the bearing races ground undersized that I use as a setup tool to avoid having to press the spindle in and out during this setup process - if their tool simulates the spindle during the setup procedure it would make the process very simple: I assume it is probably a "bearing setup tool" and not an "installation tool."

Lars

Thanks lars, I thought i read somewhere that some of the parts for the front suspension needed the cars weight to be tightened, maybe thats wrong too but i just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case for the rear. I watched a couple of VBP's youtube videos on how to install a new rear-end and they made it look so simple lol. When i took the rear-end out i took it out as one piece. With the TA's still connected to the half shafts and the half shafts connected to the Deff. I wont be doing that again lol. Also this is the link to that spindle installation tool. It looks like its meant to pull the spindle threw the bearing assembly with damaging anything. I've never done this rebuild before so i thought it was better to be safe than sorry : ).

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={f1748ff5-19dc-4577-a5b2-ca90f9fdc8c4}&gid={9bdf531e-9ea1-4074-9f8b-e63ce39d6852}&GroupName=Rear+Suspension+Tools&pname=63-82+Rear+Spindle+Installation+Tool&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&

Just a comment here, most likely the nut was welded to the spindle due to the threads being stripped. If the spindle/bearing fit is too tight, attempting to pull the spindle into the bearing support will strip the threads. Another piece of the rear suspension that tends to get fubar'd is the half shaft axle flange. If not careful when pressing in new u-joints, the flanges will get bent or warped out of shape. Good luck with getting your project un-bubba-fied.

Thanks man, it's been a hell of a ride :beer :lou

Looks like those arms were beat on alright, whenever someone was into these then you don't know what you may find. I would look real close at all the parts you plan on reusing. Too bad you were at Carlisle on Friday I held a seminar on arms that would have helped you.
Read my thread on rebuilding arms that will help a lot, it is on DC these days.

The cut out and welded nut are cause for concern. If you bought spindles be sure they're the USA not imported ones.

Not sure where you are going in Ma but I'm in CT if you have questions or need parts.

Good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom