Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rear tail light lens replacement

Thats the easy way....dropping the bumper. :ugh

it can be done with some patience, a wide assortment of tools and a good long reach thru the license plate and/or up under the rear quarter reaching up. Its a lonnnng way up there..... I had a broken inboard lense. It seems like I accessed that thru the license plate...but it wasn't easy IIRC.
Dropping the bumper isn't that big of a project. Worst part is the dirt and crap that you have to roll around in...for some reason bumper/under-carraige dirt is nastier than greasy dirt.
Its a great opportunity to use the neighbors pressure washer back there and do some housework.
Its no more difficult than pulling the front bumper. I've done that by myself to repair & replace damaged fog lite sockets. Gonna be doing that again soon to replace lenses and repaint. Hopefully.

I was thinking that there might be a better way but I guess the bumper has to come off.
I want to install led lights.
Thanks so much.

Removing the rear bumper is a pain, too! It's not necessary. There are a lot of small bolts you can't see! The inboard lights are pretty easy to get at thru the license plate hole. You might have to remove the back-up lights if your arms aren't slender. The outboard lights can then be reached thru the holes for the inboard lights. Use a 10 mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet.If you're still having problems, the right hand outboard light can be reached easily by removing the right rear inner fender shield, which is simple to do compared to removing the bumper cover! Unfortunately, the antenna motor is in the way on the left side, so this doesn't help on the left side.For re-assembly, install the outboard lights first!

I'm not real sure what you are replacing them with but just to remove tail lights from a C4 you remove the liscense plate and work yourself outward removing inside tail lights to get to the outside ones.

I am replacing the LENS, going to led's
Thanks for the input, I decided to take it to a body shop.

It seems the rear bumper has to come off, 2 person job.
Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom