Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Rear Tail Light Problem

air1jpg

Corvette
1996 Polo Green LT1 Coupe
My passenger side tail lights either do not blink or blink really slowly. The passenger side outer tail light is brighter than all the rest. Could the bright bulb be causing this?

Bulbs ?

Pretty sure you have a burned out bulb which would make the side it's on flash oddly. I'd pickup a set of four 3057 or 3157, If I'm not wrong their wedge type bulbs. Once you have a fresh set of bulbs in there, you can make a better decision, and make sure the front turn signals and flashers work correctly, then I think it's your flasher, but usually a bad flasher simply goes bad and there's no turn signals at all.

Funny, I saw a Vette today with one light dimmer.

I don't think it's possible to install the bulb backwards, making the brighter brake light, a tail light. Easiest is recommended by killian: change a bulb or two. Next, I'd check proper grounding. The wire loom back there should be secured, not flopping around (which I have seen) and could cause a bad ground, among other things, like corrosion, either in the socket or at the grounding point; perhaps the frame, nearby.

Directionals are a "T=RC" circuit, those values setting the time interval, 'T'. R is the resistance of the circuit, including the bulbs, and the C is capacitance, doubtfullly a factor here, as the capacitance in within the blinker . A burned out bulb, has infinite resistance, ergo, infinite time interval, or no blink.

I think the big clue is indeed the brighter bulb, initially pointing, in my mind, away from the flasher.
Those aren't 1157's? :w

Thank you for the information. The replacement bulbs are 2057s accourding to the owners manual. I will replace all four and see what happens.

Update

I replaced both bulbs on the passenger side with 2057s and the turn signal is now working properly. :cool!: I think I may have replaced the inner bulb with a close but incoorect size bulb, that may have caused a resistance problem. Thank you all.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom