Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

redoing my c4 hood*air vents*reduce air temperatures*

GO_VETTE

Corvette
1984 Pearl White Coupe
I am planning on placing (2) Genesis air vent louvers centered onto my hood.
I have sketched it in my artpad, and I think it looks nice.
it will be a a fully functional- it helps reduce air temperature in compartment.

However I am modifying it, simply being to be able to close off the mesh screens to prevent water from entering When NOT racing and just cruising on street.

Opening the ducts on the race track. closing on street.

Unfortunately I cannot share my sketch b/c my stupid scanner has been unable to detect image.
I have been playing around with it for over an hour, loading new hardware/software and all else.
I give up, and I am going to bed.:mad
I hope, I can get it to work, so I may scan and load image.;squint:

well, my scanner is still nto hooked. I wasted over an hour yesterday, and I am exhausted from the past few days ( lack of sleep).
However, I did take this image w/ my bros. dig. camera.
This is what I was talking about.
The vents and louvers are Carbon Fiber.
I am going to add a CF vinyl around em, to have a rallye stripe finish appearance.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...riendID=447000934&albumID=370&imageID=8114423

sketch scanned for Carbon Fiber Air vent louvers on C4 hood.

Okay, The scanner is working.
the 2 louvers contain 5 air vents per louver.
on inside of louver, there will be mesh screens which protect debris from entering engine compartment.
Inside of hood, there will be a sliding door, which can close the louvers during regular street driving, and can be opened at race track.
Around the louvers, 2 vinyl stripes (carbon Fiber design) will be applied.
here is the scanned sketch.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...riendID=447000934&albumID=370&imageID=8167024

By modifying the air flow you maybe introducing handling and cooling issues. Stress on the weakened hood. GM spent alot of time in testing areodynamics for the c4 body.

then again, it does look cool. Like an early Camaro SS hood sort of or like the fenders on an old 1960's can am racer.

You have a set of steel b**s to cut holes in your vette !

O the horror the humanity .... :eek:hnoes :D

lets see some post op pics ! :thumb

That design will allow heat to escape but NO fresh air will go into the engine compartment
What it will do is weaken the hood.

you got it.

Hey blackbart, did you figure it out on your own that the design is made for heat to escape, or did you read the title?:)

I guess the medicine for jealousitus affected someone else.;LOL
thank you for your input anyways...

Go Vette, I've been working out the same thing. Adding louvers to the hood to release heat. It looks like your louvers will be over the intake and valve covers, not the headers. There is a spot about 18 inches behind the headlights that sits over the headers and is far enough outboard that water getting in wont make any differance. I'll post pix once I finish assembling the louvers and install them.

Ignore some of the non-value added comments from some of the pseudo experts. I always do.

Your plans make basic sense for several reasons.
1) An '84 hood has the engine fresh air intake plumbing built into it. Your area of modification looks like it won't affect that area.
2) Closing it for street use is a good idea, as you don't want hot engine air being injested into the cab ventilation intake at the cowl.
3) That hood is pretty strong. I doubt you would weaken it significantly. You can always add additional understructure if you need.
3) I doubt that you will be going fast enough (no slam intended) for this modification to have any ill effects on the car's aerodynamics. Lots of race cars have the radiator air exit in the same area your are modifying.

My advice is be different from the lemmings, and do your own thing. Good luck, and post some pictures down the road.

lurk5.gif

You need some forum manners son.

Cut the kid some slack. He's doing more than just installing the ubiquitous fancy floor mats, and he's getting a bunch of silly comments in return. Throwing cold water on a guy who's trying something different usually results in a technically shallow forum.
Do you have any engineering input on his ideas?

The only input, which is quite constructive, is that he develop some manners and not post sarcastic and mean-spirited comments. That's all. I hope it goes well for him and I hope he posts some results and I hope his results are good.

His comments:

Hey blackbart, did you figure it out on your own that the design is made for heat to escape, or did you read the title?

I guess the medicine for jealousitus affected someone else. ;LOL

Now, if that isn't rude I do not know what is.

The only input, which is quite constructive, is that he develop some manners and not post sarcastic and mean-spirited comments. That's all. I hope it goes well for him and I hope he posts some results and I hope his results are good.

His comments:

Hey blackbart, did you figure it out on your own that the design is made for heat to escape, or did you read the title?

I guess the medicine for jealousitus affected someone else. ;LOL

Now, if that isn't rude I do not know what is.

So, no engineering input, I take it.

I would do like I did on aircraft and beef up the hood with fiberglass doublers. I would make sure the hood had good lateral as well as longitudinal support with fiberglass doublers so it would not flex too much and possibly crack.

I am planning on placing (2) Genesis air vent louvers centered onto my hood.
I have sketched it in my artpad, and I think it looks nice.
it will be a a fully functional- it helps reduce air temperature in compartment.

However I am modifying it, simply being to be able to close off the mesh screens to prevent water from entering When NOT racing and just cruising on street.

Opening the ducts on the race track. closing on street.

Unfortunately I cannot share my sketch b/c my stupid scanner has been unable to detect image.
I have been playing around with it for over an hour, loading new hardware/software and all else.
I give up, and I am going to bed.:mad
I hope, I can get it to work, so I may scan and load image.;squint:

I kinda liked the design. No one else has it!

I think what most folks are saying is to be careful with the structural integrity of the clam shell hood. It is a very large piece of fiberglass- and during cornering, I've seen those hoods wander around a small bit (meaning the hood has some flex and tends to move left & right a bit).

I'd hate for you to do all that work only to suffer stress cracks.

Perhaps the trick is not to cut a long openings, but rather to carefully recess the piece into the hood with a deep perimeter groove (and then bond into that space) and then cut the openings from below.

I would do like I did on aircraft and beef up the hood with fiberglass doublers. I would make sure the hood had good lateral as well as longitudinal support with fiberglass doublers so it would not flex too much and possibly crack.

There ya go. Productive information for the OP, and interesting reading for the rest of us. Not painful at all.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom