Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

remote cd changer

wholmes98

1998 Corvette I just bought has a Pioneer cd changer in the trunk. Age, etc. have made in inoperable, and it is no longer available. The dash unit is a Delco brand. Both are factory installed to the best of my knowledge. Does anyone know of a source who repairs changers such as this at a reasonable cost, or better yet, other unit that will interchange with the Pioneer? Thanks.

I just did away with the changer when I had my 2001.....and went with an interface where I plugged in my iPod.

You might want to check out Dr. Don's Radio Repair
Corvette Radio
and see if they are able to do the work.............
Don't know what the cost will be though.......
Andy :w

1998 Corvette I just bought has a Pioneer cd changer in the trunk. Age, etc. have made in inoperable, and it is no longer available. The dash unit is a Delco brand. Both are factory installed to the best of my knowledge. Does anyone know of a source who repairs changers such as this at a reasonable cost, or better yet, other unit that will interchange with the Pioneer? Thanks.

There are many sources on ebay that sell used and reman. units, you could contact one of them. Let them know if it is a Bose unit.

Thanks for the info from everyone. Contacted Dr. Don who knew the exact problem and had a solution. However, was going to cost about $300 for a unit I would probably never use. Decided to remove it, box it up for history, and just play one CD at a time on the dash.

Thanks for posting your findings! It's nice to hear how problems finish up.
At least you know now, and in case you decide to change your mind, you've
already got a solution. Good luck with the C5! :thumb
Andy Anderson :w

I just did away with the changer when I had my 2001.....and went with an interface where I plugged in my iPod.

I just did the same thing. Got tired of the CD changer eating my CD's... :mad

I just did the same thing. Got tired of the CD changer eating my CD's... :mad

There actually is a fix for that. After spending years having my 12 disc player skip over small bumps and scratch cd's, I actually put some thought into why this happens in my Vette, but not in my other 2 vehicles. First thought was cheap component, but no the Vette cd changer is a Panasonic if I remember correctly, so it's not that. Then it came to me, my other 2 vehicles have their changers mounted horizontally as God intended them to be, not vertically as GM cleverly packaged it. So I mounted my 12 disc changer horizontally in the cargo well on a piece of 3/4" plywood. No more skipping over bumps, no more scratched cd's.

Truth be told as of now, I generally use my iphone for music, and only occasionally use the cd changer that doesn't skip anymore.

There actually is a fix for that. After spending years having my 12 disc player skip over small bumps and scratch cd's, I actually put some thought into why this happens in my Vette, but not in my other 2 vehicles. First thought was cheap component, but no the Vette cd changer is a Panasonic if I remember correctly, so it's not that. Then it came to me, my other 2 vehicles have their changers mounted horizontally as God intended them to be, not vertically as GM cleverly packaged it. So I mounted my 12 disc changer horizontally in the cargo well on a piece of 3/4" plywood. No more skipping over bumps, no more scratched cc's...

I think I'd read that somewhere before. My problem is the CD's jamming in the mechanism. It may all be related to the same issue you cite (orientation of the unit), but it seems that every now and then the changer tries to load another disc into the player from the magazine before clearing the one that had already been loaded. The inevitable result is that one or both of the discs wind up scratched beyond use before you can extract them manually -- which is a huge pain in the a$$ as well... :mad

I'm pretty happy with the iSimple interface for the iPod. I can play the iPod through the CD changer connection, it charges the iPod in the process, and my discs are safe from harm... Plus it's easily reversible if I should ever want to use the changer for some reason...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom