Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: REMOVE BUILDSHEET

K

kenmack

What is the easiest way to access and remove the build sheet (IF THERE IS ONE ??) from the top of the gas tank.:eyerole
Please no guessing .I need someone who's actually done it.
THANKS in advance.:upthumbs

All three of mine have been in a bad state.
Even with the tank out on one it was impossible to remove intact and largely unreadible due to road grime.

The one on my 90 was on the front towards the top.
I got most of it but impossible without destroying some of it. Only way I can see to get it all off is to remove the tank.

Glenn
:w

Remove build sheet

I got almost all of it via the license plate panel and the right inboard tail light port. The sheet was fully on top of the tank but toward the front.
My wife makes fancy cakes and has some really big spatulas. I used a long flat one to skim the paper loose from the tank then rolled up the paper and dragged it through the hole where the license plate mounts. Some few tears but all the print is there. Really dirty but wiped clean very readily.
Good luck

I read someplace that several people have found them rolled up in the frame rail up by the engine. I checked mine and didn't find one there, but maybe you can be lucky.

You could always just support the NCM and buy one.

people have found them rolled up in the frame rail up by the engine.

I found one inside the front X member where the frame braces under the engine bolt on.

What is the easiest way to access and remove the build sheet (IF THERE IS ONE ??) from the top of the gas tank.:eyerole
Please no guessing .I need someone who's actually done it.
THANKS in advance.:upthumbs

kenmack,

Here's the scoop I've done this many times. All of the ones I have done have had the build sheet on the passenger side top of the fuel tank under the strap. Before starting the lamp removal pre-soak the tank strap stud and nut. If you do not you will twist the strap off of the rivited bolt asem.

First remove the license plate, then remove the right side back up lamp asem. To verify that the sheet is on the right side you can look up where the back up lamp asem was you should be able to see it. This will provide access to the bolts that hold in the tail lamps. Twist the light sockets out of the lamp housings. Remove the inner tail lamp first then the outer. They should be 10mm bolts there are two one on each side. Carefully remove the bolts from the housings, they will be tight and more than likely when removing them it will crack the bosses that the bolts are screwed into. This will provide access to the sheet so that you can get both hands into the area to remove the sheet. If you have large forearms it will be difficult.

Once the strap stud has been soaked loosen the nut to provide enough room to push the strap up off the tank. Then slowly pull up the sheet. Most of the ones I have removed came off fairly easy, a few tears but mostly complete. If it does not come off easily check some other threads on the form there are some good ideas.

tcxd40

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I would just buy a nice lamenated one from NCM.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I would just buy a nice lamenated one from NCM.

Well anybody can do that, anyhow there's nothing like having the original from the car.:beer
tcxd40

I also have a 93 Ruby, and I pulled it out of the frame rail, I believe on the side of the power steering. It can be done easily and slowly. I used a needle nose pliers, and reached in there. Something is usually going to get torn, but it worked.

oh oh nother trip to spatula city i hope you did this while she was gone? mine had a absulute fit when she came home and found my lower air valance in the house dryer[trying to straightin it out by heating it up, prior owner never could get used to pulling up on a curb]

I also have a 93 Ruby, and I pulled it out of the frame rail, I believe on the side of the power steering. It can be done easily and slowly. I used a needle nose pliers, and reached in there. Something is usually going to get torn, but it worked.

If I were to look in the frame rail where exactly do you look? I have my wife's vette completely disassembled:boogie for cleaning and minor repair. So the front end is basically gone. Lots of access if I need to look for the correct spot.

Just interested as I have pulled hers from the tank already, maybe there's another one.:thumb

tcxd40

build sheet

Attached pics show location of build sheet /tank sticker thru license / back-up / and rh inboard tail lite:beer
No glue on this one /loosened the strap and took it out

See, it wasn't that difficult was it:beer

The only hard part

tricky getting the vise grips on the tank strap.
The thread on that bolt is so course/tight that clamping the strap is a must.
Otherwise you twist that puppy like a pretzel.:W
Thanks again for the input:beer

Under ps pump

If I were to look in the frame rail where exactly do you look? I have my wife's vette completely disassembled:boogie for cleaning and minor repair. So the front end is basically gone. Lots of access if I need to look for the correct spot.

Just interested as I have pulled hers from the tank already, maybe there's another one.:thumb

tcxd40
open hood,passenger side,use a flashlite and look down under the ps pump at the front x member.You will see a small hole (thumbnail size)you can usually see a bit of paper in there,use tweezers and lotsa patience.Everbody talks about the frame rail but it is in the x-member.GOOD LUCK:upthumbs
I got mine out 45 min of gentle twist and pull.
Geez that sounds rude:boogie

tricky getting the vise grips on the tank strap.
The thread on that bolt is so course/tight that clamping the strap is a must.
Otherwise you twist that puppy like a pretzel.:W
Thanks again for the input:beer

Yea, one vette I did the strap started to twist. That's why I recommend soaking the threads and nut with some type of penetrating oil, and let it soak in good.

Vicegrips work too !!

tcxd40

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom