Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

remove ignition tumbler in 69, and relay

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
I can't seem to find any pins or anything to remove the tumbler in the column on my 69'. I posted a similar thread a while ago for my 74, but this car is just a little bit different. I don't see any way to get to it. any ideas.

also there is a relay on the driverside wheel well (only one is the engine compartment), anyone know which one this is? and which one is under the shifter consol?

thanx

"... also there is a relay on the driverside wheel well (only one is the engine compartment), anyone know which one this is? and which one is under the shifter consol?
thanx

I believe the one by the wheel well is the horn relay. The one that is located under the shifter console is the windshield washer relay. Both of mine were not working... easy replacements - and now working.

Ralph

hiDano

I can't seem to find any pins or anything to remove the tumbler in the column on my 69'. I posted a similar thread a while ago for my 74, but this car is just a little bit different. I don't see any way to get to it. any ideas.

also there is a relay on the driverside wheel well (only one is the engine compartment), anyone know which one this is? and which one is under the shifter consol?

thanx
hi i have my corvette and service manual in trunk in storage, but will try and help you from memory, basically you have to get to the inside the hub so remove horn wire steering wheel, most times require puller, then remove turn signal switch arm and screws, but be careful here with screw s dont drop them keep them in order most times you can get to the ignition barrel by just lifting the signal up a little, next with the switch in the off position remove the one screw to the lock cylinder, but in some gm cars in stead of a screw there will be a spring loaded retainer tab through the access slot hold it down or up, can not remember while pulling on the lock cylinder it willpop out. note though on cars with tilt steering or warning buzzer that will have to be removed before getting to lock cylinder.

hi dano

hi i have my corvette and service manual in trunk in storage, but will try and help you from memory, basically you have to get to the inside the hub so remove horn wire steering wheel, most times require puller, then remove turn signal switch arm and screws, but be careful here with screw s dont drop them keep them in order most times you can get to the ignition barrel by just lifting the signal up a little, next with the switch in the off position remove the one screw to the lock cylinder, but in some gm cars in stead of a screw there will be a spring loaded retainer tab through the access slot hold it down or up, can not remember while pulling on the lock cylinder it willpop out. note though on cars with tilt steering or warning buzzer that will have to be removed before getting to lock cylinder.
forgot to mention disconnect negative post on battery first, earlier gm cars ingnition on dash olot easyer small hole use paper clip key in accessory position push in, barrel pops straght out. regards wayne robson.

The problem i am having is.....
i have everything torn out of the column but i can't find any holes to poke into. Also i don't have the key for the ignition. Reason i am removing the tumbler.
My 74 had a hole to poke a pin into, but this car has nothing.???????????

What kind of column although I do not think it makes a differance Once the wheel is off , lock plate and directioal switch there is a tab that needs to be pushed in sometimes the tab is covered with a piece of flashing and hard to see. the key also has to be in the cylinder and in the run position . push tab and pull cylinder at same time steve

well it is a non tilt, basic type deal. If you look at the tumblers when they are out, there is a little tab that sticks out at the bottom. That tab is only moveable when the key is OUT. Also i remeber that when i removed the tumbler from my 74 the key was not in it. BUT... the tumbler has a angled groove in the bottom of it, usually where the screw goes if they have a screw. But i can't find any screw. Also my 74 didn't have a screw. the 74 just had a little tab i had to push with a pin.
do you think in these old 69's you do need the key to remove it? if so i wonder if a lock smith could build me a key. they did if for my brothers porcsh. but the tumbler was remover before they made the key.

as far as i knowthre is a tab aprox 1/2 inch long that needs to be pushed in it will be a dark color and just to left of middle of cylinder if my memory serves me right. some times there is casting flash over the slot Steve

The procedure (and photos of where the die-cast flash is that needs to be punched out) is in Section 9 in the Chassis Service Manual.

:beer

wow this is getting even stranger.
the tab that sticks down from the tumbler is the switch unit that makes the ding'n sound when the key is in the tumbler. So what this means is.. when the key is in, the TAB is locked in the downward position and cannot be pushed upward. This means the key must be out of the tumbler to remove it. Also to see that little tab you have to look into a deep hole (3/4") but first to see into that hole, i had to remove a little piece of plastic that had a flat metal wire/spring action type thing. This i assume is to make contact with the tab when the key is in. And one would assume this makes the dinger sound.

I just messed around with this thing for about an hour and cannot seem to get anywhere with it. i stuck a teeny screw driver into every hole, every slot, every crack, nothing!!!!!!! I guess i'll have to get that book

;shrug

oh ok i see what "bradsfordvettes" was talking about. the thin metal flashing that needs to be broke. cool man, this might help me out. i'll try this when i get home, see what i can see

I GOT IT!!!! thanx guys, that was not easy. i found the flashing you have to uncover, if you didn't know the flashing was to be removed you would never know. I wouldn't have ever gotten it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom