Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing Center Councel

Emtmike

Corvette
1981 Biege & Dark Bronze Coupe
I need to remove the center councel to remove my shifter:W. Is there an easy way to do this, or is this going to be a pain?. Let me know what tools I'll need and if there is any tricks on doing this. I need to look at if the last owner placed any greese on the stem of the shifter that goes into the tranny. Right now it shifts hard, and ACI told me it was too stiff. Please help if you can :thumb .

I need to remove the center councel to remove my shifter:W. Is there an easy way to do this, or is this going to be a pain?. Let me know what tools I'll need and if there is any tricks on doing this. I need to look at if the last owner placed any greese on the stem of the shifter that goes into the tranny. Right now it shifts hard, and ACI told me it was too stiff. Please help if you can :thumb .

You have this in C5, but you show a 1981 corvette by your name. What is the year and model?

You have this in C5, but you show a 1981 corvette by your name. What is the year and model?

Emtmike just bought a 2001 Z06. Thanks for any help you can give him.

Elaine

Elaine is right...I have a 2001Z06. Just need some help with removing the center counsel

I removed the console from my 2002 Z06 to replace the Hurst shifter with a factory OEM unit. It is not difficult to do, just takes time. Tools needed are screwdrivers, nut drivers or sockets, and other tools as you may have in your garage. The trim panel over the shifter is one piece from the under the steering wheel right side, to the radio, and then to the console itself. You should set the e-brake to get it out of the way. It would be preferable for you to get a Factory Service Manual for the Z06 as it has the steps and drawings you need to remove the console. Also, the FSM will prove invaluable for other repairs you want to do. You can probably find one on the internet. Get the red ones, not the white ones.

1) Remove the folding console lid by unscrewing the screws in the lid. You may not have to do this if you are careful when removing the trim panel, but the lid does get in the way and I found it easier to remove it. You will not have to remove the storage console.
2) Pull up on the rear of the electronic traction control switch by carefully inserting a thin blade screwdriver into the recess and gently pull up on the switch. Disconnect the electrical connector from the switch. Disconnect the LED connector from wiring harness and remove the switch.
3) Disconnect the electrical connector from the accessory plug and unscrew the plug retainer from the plug housing. Remove the plug.
4) Disconnect the fuel door release.
5) Remove the cigar lighter plug and ash tray and remove the plug.
6) Shift the tranny into second or fourth. Remove the knob - it screws on, check for a set pin at the base of the knob. Grasp the shifter boot at outer edges, apply pressure in toward the shift control lever to begin to release the retaining tabs from the trim plate. Lift the boot and retainer over the shaft. You do not have to remove the boot from the trim panel retainer unless you are replacing it. The retainer is an oval plastic unit. Note, I did not remove the boot and retainer from the trim panel, but it is easier if you do and it does slide back in easily. I was worried about breaking the tabs on the retainer.
7) Remove the bolts holding the shifter trim panel to the tranny tunnel.
8) Remove the A/C sensor by carefully prying out the cover and unplug. Remove the keyed ignition switch. Both are located on the right side of the trim panel above the knee kick panel. The trim panel over the shifter can now be removed by gently pulling it out and up.
9) Remove the three bolts in the shifter and pull it out towards the front of the Z06. I am not sure if greasing the shifter will help very much, but it is worth a try. Replace the greased shifter and replace the three bolts, beginning with the passenger side two bolts first. Torque the bolts to 28 ft lbs. Now try shifting. If shifter still gives you problems, you may need a new shifter.
10) Replace all units in reverse order.

Keep in mind to carefully remove the screws and bolts as they can drop into areas around the tranny tunnel and be lost or take a long time to recover. Also, it is a good time to put a console aftermarket cover on the folding lid if you don't already have one. Also, evaluate how the units were removed so that you can reinstall properly. Sometimes notes are helpful during removal.

I hope this helps. It seems like a tedious job, but it is straight forward and not hard to do. Maybe someone will add a thing or two if I skipped anything or give you some advice on shortcuts.
Barrett

Elaine is right...I have a 2001Z06. Just need some help with removing the center counsel

Got it. Red Vette has the correct info for removal/access. Be sure to perform the shifter adjustment when it is apart, as it is critical for proper shifting. Let me know if you need anything else, I have had many apart. Good luck with it.:)

Thanks guys....I'll attempt it on Sunday.

Thanks guys....I'll attempt it on Sunday.

Mike,

Did you get it? I've taken my center console apart so many times that I can get it out in about 3 minutes. :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom