Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Removing Clear Coat

John Robinson

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1993 Polo Green Coupe
I am wanting to remove the clear coat from my sawtooths and polish them and then re coat with clear coat. Time and salt have done there thing on the wheels and I am thinking of trying Easy off oven cleaner as a stripper for the clear coat and am wondering if someone has used it before to strip the clear coat. Another product I am looking at using is Permatex Gasket remover which I have used on motorcycle side cases before. I am open to any suggestions or experience that might be helpful to me.;help

John,

You need to do a search because there are a lot of different threads about removing the clearcoat and polishing.

I found an aircraft stripper that is a gel at the local auto paint store. Put it on with a brush, waited about 10 minutes and took it off with a plastic scraper. Worked like a charm and then polished right up. In my case I was doing the center caps and not the whole wheel so you want to make sure you don't get any on the tire.

I'm sure there will be a lot of other suggestions.

Good luck.

Ron
"Baldie88"

I simply used Zinsser StripFast paint remover on 2 sets of C3 aluminum wheels. Let all the air out of the tires and left them on the rims. That way I was able to get a good finish along the edges of the wheels and I didn't need to wory about tire guys scraping em up again. No harm to the tires from the stripper, either.
I don't recommend respraying the clear coat with any of the spray can type of clears. Did one set and they yellowed in a month. Had to strip em again.
Ended up using DuPont ChromaClear with a spray gun. Great results.

I simply used Zinsser StripFast paint remover on 2 sets of C3 aluminum wheels. Let all the air out of the tires and left them on the rims. That way I was able to get a good finish along the edges of the wheels and I didn't need to wory about tire guys scraping em up again. No harm to the tires from the stripper, either.
I don't recommend respraying the clear coat with any of the spray can type of clears. Did one set and they yellowed in a month. Had to strip em again.
Ended up using DuPont ChromaClear with a spray gun. Great results.

Sounds like what I am looking for. I checked the Zinsser sight and they have all kinds of strippers can you tell me which one you used? Also the clear coat.

Thanks

John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom