Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

removing dealer name plate

• Thread starter Thread starter lyle nelson
  • Start date Start date
L

lyle nelson

I bought my '04 sight unseen (b/c of price) and when I picked it up, the dealer had put one of his name plates on the rear. I think it is just stuck on, not braded in. Any suggestions on how to remove it, and the adhesive without marring up the paint?

lyle nelson said:
I bought my '04 sight unseen (b/c of price) and when I picked it up, the dealer had put one of his name plates on the rear. I think it is just stuck on, not braded in. Any suggestions on how to remove it, and the adhesive without marring up the paint?
Most of the time they can be removed by heating the name plate with a hair dryer, which softens the adhesive. I would think, too, that the technique to remove the BSM's would probably work here...using fishing line to "saw" through the adhesive.

If it's the same type of sticker they put on my wifes Monte Carlo SS after she bought it new, try using a blow dryer set on 'hot'. The heat will loosen the adhesive and you should be able to peel it right off and then buff out the area it was on.

If it is stubborn, try using 3M Adhesive Remover...but be very careful. If you press hard or even somewhat hard with the cloth, that stuff often leaves a mark on the paint...especially on dark colors.

Hope this helps!

-J.

I hate when dealers do that without permission. Once you get it off, do a drive-by of the dealership and light it up with a tec-9 ;)

thanks for the ideas, all, I'd thought about the hot hair dryer deal, but hadn't thought of the fish line to get behind, etc.

I always make sure they put it in the sales agreement that I will not accept the dealer name plate. I do allow the plate frame that I keep on till I get the real plate.

Only once did a dealer put on the tag anyway and I had them remove it before I left.

Lyle, if there is any residue left from the adhesive, you can also try Avon's Skin So Soft to remove the gunk. Just be sure to use a little at a time. Not that it will hurt or mar anything, only because if you use a lot, it just seems like the stuff won't go away!:L

If it was recently put on, it should pull or peel right off depending on what type it is. I always peel that stuff off, I don't advertise for anyone.

If it hasn't been on too long, you should be able to pull it off with no trouble.

OK, hair dryer deal worked, some foam/residue left. Used a little WD-40 and it took the rest off pretty quick. Little wax and and can't tell it was there. Thanks all for the advise.

Better idea.

Take it back to the dealer. Have them remove it.;)

smook said:
Better idea.

Take it back to the dealer. Have them remove it.;)

Even Better Idea. Now that you have it off take it back to the dealer and throw it in their parking lot with a note or walk in and glue it on the sales manager's desk. May be that will give them a hint. Just make sure you render it non-useable or they may just stick it on to another one.

H.D.

I know exactly what your saying, I take them off within about ten minutes of getting home. WD-40 is the trick, I've used it several times to unstick the dealers logo.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom