Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing rear bearing hub on '86.....

E

ejrempel

I just went to the Tech Centre and read how to do a '95. Is my '86 similar?
I have been pricing. Aftermarket can be had for $110 bucks, about 50% of Delco. Is this stuff ok for 1000 miles per year? Finaly, if I take the old ones off, can I physically spin the bearing and asertain the life left in it.
Thanks to those who respond.

Ok, I just removed the rear bearing on my 92 last week. Its easy to do, and although I would assume its the same procedure as on your 86, I cannot say for sure. In my case I was looking for the culprit of the crunching noise I had recently been hearing coming from the rear end. I removed the left rear wheel bearing and spun the opposite tire, the noise was still there. Upon further investigation, it turned out to be a bad left side inboard half shaft u joint. I reinstalled the original wheel bearing and replaced all 4 half shaft u joints for a total of $68. Repair complete.

Ok, I just removed the rear bearing on my 92 last week. Its easy to do, and although I would assume its the same procedure as on your 86, I cannot say for sure. In my case I was looking for the culprit of the crunching noise I had recently been hearing coming from the rear end. I removed the left rear wheel bearing and spun the opposite tire, the noise was still there. Upon further investigation, it turned out to be a bad left side inboard half shaft u joint. I reinstalled the original wheel bearing and replaced all 4 half shaft u joints for a total of $68. Repair complete.
It sure is nice to find the problem and fix it for reasonable $. Congrats.

Yelp, your's is the same as the 95. All C4 wheel bearing mount the same way.

Jack the car up and shake the wheel. If there is more than 1/2 inch of play the bearing is bad.

To change the hub pull off the complete brake caliper, the brake disk, use a big breaker bar to get the nut off of the end of the spindle, remove the 3 bolts holding the hub on and the old bearing is off. Reverse the procedure to mount the new one. You will need a big A$$ torque wrench to replace the spindle nut it is torqued to somewhere around 190 ftlbs.:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom