Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Removing the rear-end

Z

ZOSO87

OK, I've established the fact that I will have to drop the rear-end to remove my driveshaft. I was wondering, what is the easiest and best way to drop the rear-end? Are there any tricks to it, and what should I watch out for?

Why? I can take my driveshaft out without removing the diff.

Why? I can take my driveshaft out without removing the diff.

Because his has an aftermarket driveshaft without a separable front yoke; he has to move the diff rearward enough to disconnect the rear U-joint from the pinion flange and swing it clear to pull the driveshaft out.

The Shop Manual describes the procedure in some detail.

:beer

Well first thing I can tell you is pack a lunch because without a fully equiped garage your going to be there all day. You first need to get the leaf spring and its gigantic aluminum housinh out of the way and you need to disconnect the spindle control arms from the spindles.
Then ya have to disconnect the half shafts at the spindle and at that point maybe you can get enough rearward movement out of the rear to do what you want.

Good luck
Ray

On a 77, to remove the axle.
1) Buy a Factory Service manual.
2) Get the car up in the air on jack stands
3) Remove the leaf spring
4) Remove the axle shafts
5) Remove the diff's front mounting bracket
6) Remove the bolts holding the driveshaft to the rear yoke
7) Remove the big bolts which bolt the diff cross member to the frame.
8) Support the diff on a floor jack
9) Rent a "Porta-Power" and use the duck bill attachment to break the diff cross member mounting cushions loose
10) Remove the diff using the floor jack
11) Take the driveshaft to a driveshaft shop and have the front yoke removed then buy a Corvette transmission output yoke.

How about just cutting the old driveshaft out and having a new driveshaft built to replace the old one??? Going to save a lot of time and effort!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom