Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

removing trailing arm shims

soxx35

Corvette
1989 Black coupe
hi i have a 79 vette and im trying to remove my trailing arms. I am going the saws all the bolt out route. I removed the shims and cut the outer end of the bolt but the shims on the inner area will not come out at all. I got them to move up and down as a group but they just wont budge outward. Ive tried prying them out spraying them with pb blaster, heat you name it. Is there any other way to get these out. besides cutting thorugh the shims which i started but got fustrated with.
thanks rj

Too bad I didn't know yesterday- I was up in North Kingsotn delivering a rebuilt differential- I could have stopped over to check it out!
Can you get the blade in between the shim and bushing washer? 79's SHOULD have the slotted shims but probably are just rust welded in place. I've used a torch on them but that's a bit risky so the sawzall is the only option. You can call me at the shop today if you have any questions, I'm rebuilding rear bearings today-
Gary

203-776-2813 x139

I have a 79 and replaced my trailing arms a few months ago. The shims on the one side came out fairly easy but the inside shims on the drivers side were problematic. I used a small pry bar to loosen them up, working them ever so slightly until the rust broke free. Once they were loose it was smooth sailing.

some people used shims with holes,not slots..they were worried that the shims might fall out....some of those people worked at a gm assembly plant in st louis...early c3 these were a major pita, i dont know when (or if) those people started using slotted shims

speedmaster4 said:
some people used shims with holes,not slots..they were worried that the shims might fall out....some of those people worked at a gm assembly plant in st louis...early c3 these were a major pita, i dont know when (or if) those people started using slotted shims

The slotted shims were used on 70+ vettes the 63-69's maybe soem early 70's used the 2 hole shims. The frame is not drilled on the early cars for the long cotter pin either. I use the slotted on all and have drilled the frame to accept the cotter pin.
Gary

hey guys thanks for all the help i finally got them out with the pry bar method. Then it was nice and easy to cut the bolts out only took an hour.
rj

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom