Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Repaint rims black, clear or grey?

Jistari

Corvette
2001 Black on Black A4 Coupe
The bridge was blown up by accident by a novice wizard, so the dreaded chrome eating troll apparently lives under my car now.

Was thinking about pulling the wheels over the winter and sanding (just) the insides. Then masking all the good chrome (and the tires of course) and either clear coating the cleaned up but non chromed aluminum (I think the stock 5 spoke shiny 2001 wheels are aluminum anyway) insides, or, spraying them black, grey, or silver.

I am aware of the place you can send em to be re-chromed, but 1) not sure I want to pull em, unmount the tires and ship em...and 2) If this doesn't work well that approach is still available.

I was leaning towards getting them as clean as I could and clearing them. My mechanic doesn't think that would last as well as straight paint.

Please post what you may have done along these lines and how it worked out for you.

Thanks CAF

I would go with the black. I think that would look the best. I thought about doing that with my silver 5 spokes. But I heard the best way is to have them powder coated. But I could spray them black and clear coat them while they still have the tires mounted.

Thought about powder coating, wasn't sure if you could do it without mounting the tires.
If the insides come out clean and shiney, I'm leaning towards the clear, if not the black.
Ill probably post if I get to do them this winter.

Yeah the tires can't be on the rims when they bake the powder coating. Let me know what you decide to do.

Yup, thought so (but wasnt sure....thx). It'll be a while...gotta finish some home construction here before I have the garage to myself. I'll post when done.

Painted black looks very sinister, especially on a black car. There are a few guys on here that have the same combination, looks cool and very badazz.

If you want to post up a bigger picture of your car, I'll try to PhotoShop the different colors on the car. :beer

LOL Thanks :) But I'm still not finished with the bathrooms.....tile took forever (so never got to do the rims :-()

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom