Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement hood recommendations....

Stemmer

Corvette
When I purchased my 1960 in 1983, the center of the hood was cut out for a blower or high rise manifold. I've had it glassed in twice since 1983 but it always cracks along the outlines of the original hole...

I've been looking at replacement hoods. Can anyone recommend a good hood (price/quality)? Also there seems to be a big difference in prices between the various Corvette suppliers. There is also quite a difference in price between press molded and hand laid. Are there any hand laid hoods that are comparable to press molded but without the hefty price? Vanacor seems to have a good name but their hoods are hand laid...

Thanks kindly...

Stemmer

My spelling is real bad , and I can neveer find this company with a google search but I thought there name was shemershines and he had all press molded stuff. He is always at Carlilse

I've been looking for a hood with a hole it it for a fair price for years for a project I'd like to do. I have bought some glass parts from Ecklers and been satisfied. I see that they have a replacement quality '59-'62 hood for $599. or a press molded '59-'60 specific hood for $999. I guess it would make a difference if you were looking for a driver part or needed it to look perfectly correct for a restoration that will be judged.

Tom

When I purchased my 1960 in 1983, the center of the hood was cut out for a blower or high rise manifold.

Stemmer
Ever think to bring it back to its as raced condition instead, maybe the car has some significant racing history.

We were at the Corvette Expo in Severville Tenn this weekend. They had new black primed hoods for your year for around 995. Just to give you an idea. Ecklers is another choice to consider. :w

try ebay, you may luck out with a hood close to you...i did so with a '67 bb hood...of course, ebay IS an acquired taste:eyerole

Fitting my Vanacor hood was a nightmare and still isn't correct. Spend the money on a GOOD hood.

If they're the company in Louisana then I can guarantee they aren't. Get a molded hood from Ecklers or one of the others. I spent HOURS and HOURS cutting and reshaping mine to make the thing fit. Never again.

A few years ago the son or son in law murdered the owner and his wife took over the business. That was when i bought a 67 hood. It was around 2004. Maybe they have gotten better but back then I was very disappointed and really ****ed at the time required to fit and smooth the top and bottom of hood. It still has a ripple in it that only I notice but it's there. Back then it was $350 vs. $900. I regret saving a few dollars for the results. Just my opinion. I'd ask others.

On the other hand 'Shimmershines' has excellent parts. I got my quarters from him and was very pleased. Quality costs $$$

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom