Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: replacing radio and speakers in 89 vette

vernh

Corvette
1989 Burgandy coupe
Ok guys got a new one to pick your brains with. I am going to replace my radio and speakers. I know the bose system is nice and all but mine is completely shot. all four speakers the centers have pulled away from the outsides and two of the amps look as though someone soaked them in water for a few years. I don't have the money to replace all of those expensive pieces. Plus I am going to put two twelves and amp in the back. I figure if your going to go through a mid life crisis go through it big. Anyways, my question is does anyone know where you can buy speakers that will fit into the enclosure in the front doors? I know I will need to pull new wires for it but I think if I were to drill a hole in the back of the enclosure then let the window down I can use a tool retriever to fish the wires from the back of the box into the door wireway. I have read about having to wire two resistors up so your check engine light doesn't come on. But after further research I have read that I may not have to do that since my ac has a digital readout. Anyone know if that is true? Also, I believe the back once you take out the enclosure you can then mount the face back in and a 6x9 will fit in perfectly. Anyone that has done this or has knowledge of where I can get speakers that will fit I would really appreciate your input.

Have you tried getting the speaker enclosures for a NON-BOSE unit? Those should make speaker fitment much easier. That is what I did.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom