Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing valve covers

M

mdsbch

I am looking to replace the valve covers on my 85 coupe. When looking around at aftermarket covers, I haven't been able to find any in aluminum that has the hole for the oil filler cap. They all have only the two holes for the PCV and the breather hose, however I have found some of the chrome sets have the oil filler cap hole. I'm not sure wheather to go with aluminum or chrome (I like the way the aluminum looks). Which holds up better? Can a oil filler hole be added to an plain smooth surface aluminum cover? Thanks in advance for any other ideas or information, to help me make a decision on replacemant covers. :crazy

CAC Rocks! :upthumbs

Mike

I did that last year and they had a lot of pitting as well as some of the edging where the gasket sits was missing. They just didn't turn out very good and I had to use RTV on the gasket to keep them from sliding out and leaking. I did look at some new stock ones on EBay and they wanted $550 for them (a little pricey) and actually bid on a pair of used that were in good condition but lost the bid. I even thought about taking the originals off and removing the paint (POR's) that I used to paint them last year, but then I still have the problem around the gasket area. So, this is why I am looking at alternatives. Is there anywhere that can restore the originals by fixing the gasket area or is that imposible or cost more than its worth?

Mike

Just my opinion, get good ones. I purchased some online (a no name place) and they did not have the baffels. This was a huge problem. Caused me to burn oil. Purchased some chrome from Ecklers $220 and they were perfect replacement (With baffles)

sriat, were those chrome or the polished aluminum valve covers that you got from Ecklers? If they were the polished aluminum, how does the filler cap go on (screw or just pushes in) and also is the emblem holding up under the heat of the engine (changing color, pealing, ec.)? Thanks.

Mike

I did look at some new stock ones on EBay and they wanted $550 for them (a little pricey) and actually bid on a pair of used that were in good condition but lost the bid.
Keep on looking for stock ones. I bought a pair of GM VCs for my '88. I found them sitting on a venders table in Carlisle, still in GM's original boxes. He wanted $250, I offered him $230, he accepted.
I know they were discontinued, but I don't think he knew that.

I went home and installed them the next day.
:beer

Replacement units

Mine are polished aluminum. They have the push in and half turn for the oil fill. The emblem is painted then protected. I have about 1000 miles on these and they look like new. I will be glad to send pix once I get my intake manifod back on. (Intake manifold gasket bad) should be done this week. With temps hovering around 20 it is hard to get modivated even with a heated garage...

Thanks for all your inputs. I would love to see some pix when you get a chance sriat. I am in the process of polishing the plenum and intake runners so I think polished aluminum valve covers would go well with it. Can the stock magnesium covers be polished like aluminum?

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom