Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Richmond Six speed, Help me figure out how to pay for it!

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I have been in touch with Richmond. The trans I need to make the 69 purrrr on the highway, and lurch like a beast from a dead stop is

#7021610 ED

This trans has a 2.77 first gear reduction and a .62 overdrive. With my 3.55 rear gear, it will put it around 2,000 RPM at about 65-70 MPH in 6th gear. That is the Schweeeeeeet spot.

This mod needs to be completed by June of 2003 when I plan on driving it to Bowling Green. The problem is, I am BROKE!

So, help me figure out how to pay for it........

I could start off by selling my complete Munie stuff:

1. Muncie trans (fully rebuilt fall of 99) 800 miles on it now
2. Stock aluminum bell housing
3. Stock 11" small block flywheel
4. Stock style (like new condition) clutch/pressure plate 11"
5. New release bearing
6. HURST shifter and Hurst linkage (new Hurst bushings)
7. trans mount (new from frame off restoration)
8. New pivot ball, clips/rods for clutch pedal Z bar linkage.

**this is the 10 spline shaft**

What is all that worth?.....$1,000 ?

The Richmond trans is $3,099.95 from Summit. I would reuse my Lakewood bellhousing, my QuarterMaster flywheel, clutch, and hydraulic release bearing.

So, how much a month do I have to save, and do I have any bidders on my Muncie stuff?

Depending on the Muncie you have, M-22's are pulling 1000$, M-21's are pulling about 700$ (Ebay prices) I know this because I was contemplating selling my whole system off for a 700R4... since then i have reconsidered... If you are looking to help another CAC member out then I would say yeah 1000$ is a good deal... but on the free market I think you can get at least 1500$ for the whole set-up... I imagine you are going to recieve countless e-mails from others looking to go from auto-manual...

klb

I'll be shocked if it's a Rock Crusher. I've never seen one in anything except a big block car.

Won't you still need the clutch and bellhousing?

Good luck,

LarryBible said:
I'll be shocked if it's a Rock Crusher. I've never seen one in anything except a big block car.

Won't you still need the clutch and bellhousing?

Good luck,

No, the clutch and bellhousing would go with the whole set up. I already have a Lakewood, and the special 10.5" clutch.

It is an M21 (? the less aggressive model) with the 10 spline gears. It was set up for the 300 hp small block that the car came with from the factory.

It would be complete for the future owner with a perfect flywheel, clutch, etc. The only thing you would need to provide would be a clutch pedal. So, it would make a good swap.

So maybe the trans is worth $700, plus the bell housing, flwheel, clutch, etc. So, maybe $1,000 for the whole shooting match is not such a bad deal? Shipping would be expensive though.

Re: Richmond Six speed ratios...

69MyWay said:
This trans has a 2.77 first gear reduction and a .62 overdrive.

Did you have them put together a specific ratio set Chris? My catalog (2001) states that the standard gear ratios for the Richmond 6-Speeds, 5-Speed street and 5-Speed Road Race transmissions are:
  • 1st = 3.28
  • 2nd = 2.14
  • 3rd = 1.57
  • 4th = 1.25
  • 5th = (always 1:1)
  • 6th = .76

I'm confused :confused

_ken :w

Re: Re: Richmond Six speed ratios...

Ken said:
I'm confused :confused

_ken :w

This would be a custom build for my application. They come in a variety of different gear ratios. In fact, they were kind enough to spend about 30 minutes on the phone going over calculators and available ratios to get the best blend. The one I want is not a regularly stocked item, but would only take about three weeks to build and ship.

Here are my thoughts right now.

1. Sell the complete trans set up $1,000
2. Sell my 1990 Vette motor complete $750-$1000
3. Sell the orginal 69 short block 350 (4 bolt) and crank $350
4. Sell a spare full roller 350 (4 bolt) block and crand/rods $400
5. Give some blood plasma, and mow my neighbors lawn $25

Getting closer.....

Chris.
You're right that the 10 spline is the lower performance input shaft. The 26 is the stronger one. There seems to be two different ways of pricing Muncies. One is between friends and other Non-Corvette, Chevelle, or non-numbers matching hobbiests. They sell good ones for what your talking about down to a few hundred. The Numbers matching crowd seems to start with $1500. and run up to $3500. or so for a M22 that may be dated right for your car. You stamp the vin on it. A check with 4 Speeds by Darrell will give you an idea of what the asking prices are for rebuilt Muncies to the Corvette crowd. I't's like everything else in our hobby. There are only so many of them out there and some parts are almost nonexistant new. there are bargains to be had though. The one out in my shop was just thrown in with a bunch of extra stuff when I bought my '69 stepside project.

Personally I think that $1500. for your complete changover package is very fair...cheap even considering that everything is rebuilt or next to new. If that's the original trans from your '69 and has the VIN on it I would be hard pressed to seperate it from the car even if you know it will never go back in.

Re: Re: Re: Richmond Six speed ratios...

69MyWay said:
5. Give some blood plasma, and mow my neighbors lawn $25

Getting closer.....

This might work. Plasma, what every 10 days, lawn mowing every week for the next year. That will add up. :s

Have you thought about doing some repairs for others for cash? I think it was Mike out of Dallas that helped 77-4speed with his rear end at a good price for both.

After seeing your fiberglass work on the flares, I have that small rip on the right rear of mine that we could talk about. You could make some money and I could learn something.

The plan will come together. It always does.

Bob

Might be someone that needs you to assemble their Corvette or street rod over the winter for them.

My .02.....

Hello All, & Chris !

My input Chris is this..... Keep as much of the original equipment pieces of your car as possible. Things like flywheels, clutch discs, and pressure plates are not something that even most "Numbers Matching" vehicles will retain. Your M-21, if original to your vette, should, unless it was removed for the rebuilding, still have a tag attached to it somewhere to identify it as a component of your vin# vehicle. That is something that as an original, money can't buy. I would say that Tom and Bob are definitely giving some good advice, and I say use your skill, knowledge, and obvious good work ethic, and take in a few side jobs ! I have one that I would be willing to pay to have done, which I don't think it is very hard, I just don't have the time. If you would be interested, I need a cab swap done on my ole putt around P/U, and I have a complete parts truck ! Let me know, and I will gas up the Dually and Load the trailer ! Better Yet, I will just load the parts truck up on the trailer behind the P/U that needs the cab, and drive it on down ! LMAO...

:w
Steve.

You had to go and get famous up in KY and now the posse will get busted right quick after we pull any more jobs. Now tranny money has to come from legit sources :eyerole
Getting closer.....

Black Thunder said:
You had to go and get famous up in KY and now the posse will get busted right quick after we pull any more jobs. Now tranny money has to come from legit sources :eyerole

:D

I talked to my brother last night (no, not Posse, actual blood relative). He laughed his butt off. I asked "what is so funny?" of which he replied, " $3,000+ for a transmission!, buhhhh, ha,ha,ha,ha,ha, he,he,he,he"

Well, at this point I changed the subject. The last thing I want him to know is what I paid for just the wheels and tires:nono

Now my posse bro reminds me I have to do this legit! What is the world coming to?

First real road trip

Well, we just finished the first real road trip with the car. That is we went a tad over 300 miles with it on Saturday.

Things I learned about the car in its current configuration:

1. Must fix driver valve cover leak issue!
2. Averaged 12 mpg
3. 70 mph is basically exactly 3,000 RPM
4. lock tight all rear hatch bolts to avoid sub woofer unscrewing

Now that I think about it, short of going to Kentucky (NCM) this is about as far as I will ever drive the car at one time. At that, it did not do so bad at all.

Is it really worth the $$$$ for an overdrive at this point? Not sure right now.

If and when we roll for the 50th in June, I will be running with TZracer in the sister 71 big block project car. He is running 3.7 rear gears and the Muncie, and a big block of course. In either event, he and I will both be making frequent stops.

Gotta think this one over.

Gear Vendors Overdrive Unit.

Get the best of both worlds. You have your original equipment and a 28% reduction in any gear. That would drop your rpms to about 2160 at 70 mph. It'll cost some $$ but you'll get to keep your original tranny. Also, the unit can be removed if you want to transfer it to another shark later on.

Russ

77-4speed said:
Gear Vendors Overdrive Unit.

Get the best of both worlds. You have your original equipment and a 28% reduction in any gear. That would drop your rpms to about 2160 at 70 mph. It'll cost some $$ but you'll get to keep your original tranny. Also, the unit can be removed if you want to transfer it to another shark later on.

Russ

YIKES!

I just cruised the Gear Vendors Overdrive kit. It is priced out as a class"c" which means the unit is

$ 2,395.00

That is a hop skip and a jump from the full blown six speed unit that has an even more reduced final drive. No deal to be had there. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Chris

Yeah,

It's a pricey unit but you are able to retain your stock tranny.

Just figured I'd throw the option out there since it is less expensive. (maybe you wouldn't have to donate both kidneys :))

Russ

Mike,

To get the tranny you could p**s off Mrs 69MyWay big time, sell up, take your half and place the order. A bit extreme but it depends how desperate you are. I`m 99% of the way there on this one :( but with a bit of luck there might be enough left over for a trip to the 50th. :beer

Another suggestion that I previously made to BroKen was to have a look at the Quafe site. They do a superb sequential 6 speeder and they are to be found behind most of the top racers in Europe such as TVR, Vipers and Lister Jaguars. I visited their stand at a recent show and it was an excellent piece of kit, use the clutch to get you going then just bang gears. They can be built to your spec, are virtually in distructable but the only minor problem is that they are not cheap at about $12 - 15k.

J.

Ohhh Chris

Now ... BUDDY!

HOW much do you want for the tranny & all..... and what about shipping? It would be for the Mystery 327.......

Make me an offer I can't refuse.....

AND

Might be interested in the 4 Bolt 350
( for the 73 ) Block & heads
( or is it complete?).

Do you also have some center dump rams horn exhaust?

Maybe a STOCK tach drive distrib?

So that MIGHT put a dent into your 6 speed problem.....

Now which CAC member is making the Fla to Ca run this week...Hmmmmmmm?

Vig!

Whoa !! Looks like it is coming together Chris. :D
I was just getting ready to comment when Vig made his offer. I was thinking that parting with the stock parts inst really a big deal considering that the car is highly modified at this point and the chances of ever going back to orig is probably pretty slim. The 6 speed is going to be an awesome upgrade and will fit in nicely with the rest of the platform. I too want the 6 speed and I believe its a quality move. I guess that moves me far from the purist type. :)

I`m sure this has been answered before

But what are the problems with a late model Vette or F-Body six speed if it is just the overdrive facility you are after. ???

J.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom