Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Rubber Trim Peeling on Targa!!! Any Fix Possible?

Binkybubba

Corvette
1996 LT4, Coupe, Arctic White
I have a 96 with an issue of the "rubberized" trim peeling in a few spots. It seems to be the same material as what wraps the windshield which is in way better shape. A very thin rubberized material applied directly on to what appears to be stainless steel. I have tried flat trim paint, not so good. Also tried some black "Goop", spread thin then lightly sanded, also not good. Was ok as a temp fix but thankfully easily removed. My next step is to try rubberized undercoat paint or "bed liner" but I dont want to ruin anything. Am I doomed to seek out a refirb on the whole top? I have consulted a couple of auto parts shops. I will wait till I hear a sane reply before I go and do something stupid.

Cheers and thanks in advance, :beer:w

I have a 96 with an issue of the "rubberized" trim peeling in a few spots. It seems to be the same material as what wraps the windshield which is in way better shape. A very thin rubberized material applied directly on to what appears to be stainless steel. I have tried flat trim paint, not so good. Also tried some black "Goop", spread thin then lightly sanded, also not good. Was ok as a temp fix but thankfully easily removed. My next step is to try rubberized undercoat paint or "bed liner" but I dont want to ruin anything. Am I doomed to seek out a refirb on the whole top? I have consulted a couple of auto parts shops. I will wait till I hear a sane reply before I go and do something stupid.

Cheers and thanks in advance, :beer:w
Post some photos of the problem,I'll see if I can help you!:thumb

Rubber Trim Peeling on Targa Photo's

Post some photos of the problem,I'll see if I can help you!:thumb

Here a couple pic's. Passenger side windshield trim and Targa trim tab (bare) as well as mid Targa. Very thin rubber coating.

IMG00303-20120706-1045.jpgIMG00300-20120706-1044.jpgIMG00302-20120706-1044.jpg

Those moldings were Not Rubberized from the factory,They had a baked finish!

If they appear to be rubberized,they have either been refinished or treated with some sort of so called protectant that attacked the finish!:thumb

:beer

Those moldings were Not Rubberized from the factory,They had a baked finish!

If they appear to be rubberized,they have either been refinished or treated with some sort of so called protectant that attacked the finish!:thumb

:beer
You are unfortunately correct sir!:mad The window trim can be touched up easily enough but looks like a new or refinished targa will be required in future. Thanks for your help.

Cheers, :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom