Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A Couple questions on my 77

P

PHXVETTE

Keep in mind that the following questions have been spurred by my wanting to put a new radio in this car.

A pre-emptive thanks goes out to anyone kind enough to reply. Anyone with a comment on just one of these questions is very appreciated. If you answer all of them I will have to airmail you a six-pack however.

1) How does one remove the windshield without cracking it? Primarily what is the procedure for exterior trim removal? Also it looks like the sealer around the window is some hard compound. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the stock sealer was 'gummy') Can I cut this thing out? The dash is removed so its easier, and that is one reason to remove the windshield, so I can put the dash back in without cracking it. Also there is rust up the ying-yang and I have a case of POR-15 asking to fix the windshield surround.

2) Is it possible to acquire a new #4 body reinforcement mount and from where? This is the metal reinforcement that is visible from behind the rear wheel in the wheel well (the side of the tire that is to the rear of the car). And has anyone replaced this without removing the entire body?

3) On the doorsill, I am wondering if all these rust flakes that are coming out from under the fiberglass/plastic cover is critical? Looks to me that the doorsill has 4 components. Starting at the top of the sill there is the sill cover plate, then the plastic cover that is painted body color. Then there is a thin piece of metal that on my car is completely rusted metal flakes. Then there is a stout reinforcement that is structural(?) to the sill. Finally under that is the frame.

I have the factory assembly manual but the drawings don't tell me what this piece of metal that was formerly on my vehicle does.

4) I am replacing the carpet insulation in the wheel wells and putting a new layer on the trans tunnel. Is there a preferred product for this? Mid-America lists two types, a foil backed and a rubber backed. The foil backed I believe is stock. Is one better than the other? The trans tunnel gets really hot so I would like to insulate that (especially being in Phoenix!). Will the 'Crate full of sound deadener' from Mid-America a good value at $24.99 or $29.99(foil)? And is that the right product for the task?

5) Anybody know of a good video on how to remove the body from the frame? Is there a good book that deals with it for a C3? I know that Nolan Adams has a video but I have seen that and it’s for a mid year. I know, I know... practically the same but there I’m sure are subtle differences.

6) Anybody have a picture of their underbody that would include the spare tire tub? I am going to drop the tub and clean it up. Just wondering what it looked like originally.

7) Anybody have experience with POR-15 epoxy putty? They claim you can drill and tap it. You can drill and tap silly putty too, the screw wont hold too long (unless it too is made of silly putty). I actually bought some today online, and I have some A+B as well, should I expect any difference or is the POR stuff bulletproof like they imply?

8) This car was my dad's car, so I have some history to go on. He had sagging doors that were fixed by a steel reinforcement on the inside hinge pillar. This works as a fix but should I be concerned with
a) Near the #1 body mount there being a visable hole down to the ground.
b) A complete erosion of the 'bow side' support of the hinge pillar. This is the 45 deg. metal support that is weilded to the pillar at its base.
The body mount itself worries me. Its so close to so much corrosion. I have painted it with POR, but its about 20 years too late! Has anyone else had to replace this area or can it be sealed with some foam, paint, plastic, wool, rock, whatever ...nobodies going to see it?

9) What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

10) Has anyone installed the Guldstrand 5-link and does it really make a noticable difference? They say mention some minor welding, what does that entail?

Any one who has read to this point is a true Corvette enthusiast! Thanks again for your input, I find the forum a great source. I try to research my questions first before asking because so many of you have already helped someone else out, I don't mean to bother, but I had a boat load of questions build up for a while they all got dumped into this one message.

Thanks,

Bill

PHXVETTE- I can answer question #2 right away. Zip products has the welded piece on the frame and the riveted piece on the body. If you remove both rear body bolts (#4) you can place a 2x4 in front of the gas tank and lift the rear section of the body just enough to get the mounts in.

Dave

BURGLAR said:
PHXVETTE- I can answer question #2 right away. Zip products has the welded piece on the frame and the riveted piece on the body. If you remove both rear body bolts (#4) you can place a 2x4 in front of the gas tank and lift the rear section of the body just enough to get the mounts in.

Dave

Thanks!

I noticed that they have 3 items on their site

1)URL=http://store.yahoo.com/zipproducts/zip-m-2660.html]Body mount bracket[/URL]

2) Body mount reinforcement

3)
Body mount nut cage w/rivets

Do I need all Three?

Plus I guess I should order a mount kit. PST - Performance Suspension Techology has a set for $50 that is graphite impregnated polyurethane.

Thanks for the reply!

Bill Hart

OOPS!

BURGLAR said:

Dave

Thanks!

I noticed that they have 3 items on their site

1) Body mount bracket

2) Body mount reinforcement

3)
Body mount nut cage w/rivets

Do I need all Three?

Plus I guess I should order a mount kit. PST - Performance Suspension Techology has a set for $50 that is graphite impregnated polyurethane.

Thanks for the reply!

Bill Hart

Bill- Check that bracket that is welded to the frame and see if it is rotted out. If so you will need that body mount bracket,they come in LH and RH and would have to be welded on. I will bet you definitely need the body mount reinforcements. They are made of thin metal and are usually to far gone to save. Simply drill the rivets out of the old one and reinstall the new ones with new rivets. I think ZIP only sells body cushions in complete car sets.
I helped someone do this very job on a 78 Silver Anniversary about 2 weeks ago. If you don't need the frame brackets the job shouldn't be a big deal. Just lift the body carefully and just enough to remove and install the new parts.

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom