Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

• Yes

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 727 91.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 2.9%

• Total voters
If Chev/GM can apply the same engineering they did on the C5, this new car would be fantastic; I just can't see it called a Stingray, it's just wrong. MAYBE if it was a roaring V8 with old-style lines, i might be able to take a new Stingray.

I totally agree with this, and got to keep the V-8

No V6 please call it a Fiero and get it on FIRE!

I have to say this:
I am a younger person looking for a good car. I do not want a Corvette with a V6 in it. its better for GM to make a V6 Solstice and call it a Fiero. and it if they turbo it better call it a Fiero GT. GM: if you do this make sure it gets on fire every time the car is at a stoplight. Please do not mess with American's sports car (and no the Viper is a sports car its a kitchen on wheels!).
So last words:
This Gen-Y person does not want a V6 Vette. V8+RWD+2 doors+ BG= Corvette

The Corvette has been a front engined, rear wheel drive, two seat, V8 powered car since 1955. It is a formula that has worked for 50+ years. I just see no reason to mess with success.

Works for me!

I have to say this:
I am a younger person looking for a good car. I do not want a Corvette with a V6 in it. its better for GM to make a V6 Solstice and call it a Fiero. and it if they turbo it better call it a Fiero GT. GM: if you do this make sure it gets on fire every time the car is at a stoplight. Please do not mess with American's sports car (and no the Viper is a sports car its a kitchen on wheels!).
So last words:
This Gen-Y person does not want a V6 Vette. V8+RWD+2 doors+ BG= Corvette
:beer

I love the remark by cj5nutz: "What's next, the Corvette minivan?" I guess it would be the Corvette Crossover, now! My suggestion is: Let's try Corvair again.

Even if it's a Corvair Spider I still want a V-8

Thats about as dumb as a Porche BUV. Sorry Porche fans.

What are they thinking?

What are they thinking? Yes it started with a six but it could end with a six also! Whats next a Corvette SUV?
deltap
kappa.jpg

In February 2006, Motor Trend published a short article about the Corvette Sting Ray coming back as a V6 powered version of the Kappa platform.

They wrote:

Full Article: http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0602_chevrolet_kappa_sting_ray/index.html

The rumors are once again getting much stronger!

What are your thoughts on this? Should the Corvette remain V8 powered only, or would a V6 version be ok since the Corvette started out with a V6 back in 1953?

Aren't Corvette sales the highest they have ever been with both the C5 and C6 generations at $45k? Doesn't seem to be killing the future.

I also totally agree with Evolution that the Firebird/Camaro/GTO fill the "cheaper Corvette" market. No reason for a lower end 'vette.
Actually, the high watermark for Corvette production was with the C3 in 1979 with a close second in the first year of the C4 in 1984. Production is easily running 10,000 units less per year now. Of course, they sell for at least four times as much now!

V6?

If they are serious about a V6, how about if they put in two V6s and we end up with one serious V12?
59-62USNVET

Well I voted no. With that said there are some very interesting things you can do with a (V6 rear wheel drive) as you all know. Maybe you might see a bigger / Grand National block set-up in the Vette. Well built and tuned they are hard to beat. Not saying they can't be beat, just saying exactly that. Example; my kid has an SRT-4. You want to talk fast! For a measly $1900 he upgraded the turbo and produces well over 400HP with a motor that is dead proven solid well over 700HP and it is a four banger at that. That puts the cost of the car at $24K. With that in a 2500LB car well, just do the math. If only he had rear wheel drive. That is my only advantage in the Z06. I must agree with an earlier post; GM must do what they have to do just to stay afloat.

Reply with your own post Admin! Don't edit mine. "FORHEAVENSSAKE"

NOOOOOOOO. The Corvette was a V6 in the beginning, but the Sting Ray never was. I feel that would be a complete disgrace to the name just to try to increase sales! I would be Very VERY disappointed in GM if they did this.

NOOOOOOOO. The Corvette was a V6 in the beginning, but the Sting Ray never was. I feel that would be a complete disgrace to the name just to try to increase sales! I would be Very VERY disappointed in GM if they did this.

Permit me to offer the following:

- the Corvette never had a V6. In 1953, 1954 and part of 1955, it had a "straight" or in-line 6.

- the Sing Ray was not a special model of Corvette. It is what Corvettes were also called in 1963-1967 (Sting Ray) and 1969-1976 (Stingray).

:w

Turbo

I have to disagree with Slong about the Grand National those Buick turbo's blue up a lot and resale value sucked; but now a days turbo's are much more reliable and a V-6 turbo might not be such a bad idea. I drive a 2004 Subaru STi turbo and it rocks no perceptible lag. This is my every day driver my parking lot at work is no place for a Corvette. This summer as I was driving home in my little 4 banger I found myself behind a black C-5, 6-speed at a stoplight. He had after market pipes and it really looked and sounded sharp. When the light changed he took off like a bat out of hell, and I thought what the heck and floored it; I stayed right on his ass till the next light as he maxed out

Turbo

I have to disagree with Slong about the Grand National those Buick turbo's blew up a lot and resale value sucked; but now a days turbo's are much more reliable and a V-6 turbo might not be such a bad idea.
I drive a 2004 Subaru STi turbo and it rocks- no perceptible lag; see my avitar. This is my every day driver as my parking lot at work is no place for my Corvette. This summer as I was driving home in my little 4 banger I found myself behind a black C-5, 6-speed at a stoplight. He had after market pipes and it really looked and sounded sharp. When the light changed he took off like a bat out of hell, and I thought what the heck and floored it; I stayed right on his ass as he maxed out first through fifth then we had to slow down for the next light which was about 3/4 a mile later. I pulled even on his left side to make a left hand turn and looked over at him; if looks could kill I'd be dead. I just smiled and held up 4 fingers; he turned his head and never looked back, his face was red and looked like his head was about to explode. Some people just can't be gracious. :eyerole If I had been in my vette and the rolls reversed, I would have given him a big thumbs up!:beer

V-6

Putting a V-6 in a Corvette would be like putting a VW engine in a freight train ........I agree , don't call it anything close to a Corvette or a Sting Ray. A V-8 is the only way to go.

V-8 all the way!

V-6 Vette

Here's the simple, straightforward disposition, one that even POTUS can state without bumbling it, to the idea of equipping a Corvette with a v-6 engine

NO

V-6

How bout an opposed 4 with a built in sound amplifying system that sounds like a V-8 or V-12.;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom