Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

• Yes

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 727 91.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 2.9%

• Total voters
No, Vette's ID is pure as the driven snow and should remain so!

I vote against any tie to Corvette because doing so would only diminish and exploit what is GM's most iconic trademark. Go ahead and give us a car that's powerful, fuel efficient, and fun to drive daily, but leave the Corvette association out of the mix. As for V6 power - there's no doubt that a six banger can deliver very robust acceleration and performance (remember the '87 Grand National?). I'd probably be interested in this vehicle as a daily commuter if GM does this the right way, but I won't give it any consideration at all if GM fails to protect the Corvette badge approriately.

As for a V-6 vette

If the brainiacs at GM had any sense, they'd be thinking about going in the other direction. I mean, what are they smoking? They put out feelers to see how we might react to a V6 Vette -- what's wrong a V8, V10, or V12 that dishes out 1,000 horses?

What if they could offer a 1k HP brute and still maintain the reliability offered by the LS1/LS2 platform? Think about it!

Norseman, shame on you! You know full well that guy didn't know how to drive his Vette!!!

Stay with what works.

When they bring the Camaro back, let it have the V6. Why mess with the Corvette, which remains a profitable and iconic star in the GM fleet?

Also, anyone know why the vette V8 designers go with 2 valves per cylinder (pushrod) instead of 4 (OHC)?? ;shrug

Dave

Read my lips; V-8

Two valves

When they bring the Camaro back, let it have the V6. Why mess with the Corvette, which remains a profitable and iconic star in the GM fleet?

Also, anyone know why the vette V8 designers go with 2 valves per cylinder (pushrod) instead of 4 (OHC)?? ;shrug

Dave
Yes, it's cheaper & less complicated, but it gets the job done. There was a 4 valve vette though, remember. It just cost too much to produce and GM wanted to keep the price reasonable. I think it had overhead cams too.

There was a 4 valve vette though, remember. I think it had overhead cams too.
Yup!
Taken from the CAC Tech Center / Model Center
The major highlight for the 1990 model year was the introduction of the long awaited "King of the Hill" ZR-1 Corvette. The ZR-1 Corvette came equipped with the all aluminum LT5 motor featuring double overhead camshafts, 32 valves, 16 fuel injectors (8 primary, 8 secondary) creating 375 hp and 370 lb-ft of torque.

Negative, Ghostrider!

The Corvette is America's priemiere and time honored sports car and I have loved and owned them since I was 22. I was radically ****ed off enough with the Z-06s having a trunk, and (even worse) the 2005s having open headlights. If they put a 6 cyl in there, regardless of performance toys, they might as well make it a friggin' Honda and call Corvette history. Let's move forward with this beautiful mechanical work of art, not back. The day they put a techno-pop bullsh*t 6 cyl in a 'Vette is the day I sell mine and buy a Ferrari.

Agreed!

300 HP stock is admirable, but it still isn't a Corvette. Call it something else.

I have to disagree with Slong about the Grand National those Buick turbo's blue up a lot and resale value sucked; but now a days turbo's are much more reliable and a V-6 turbo might not be such a bad idea. I drive a 2004 Subaru STi turbo and it rocks no perceptible lag. This is my every day driver my parking lot at work is no place for a Corvette. This summer as I was driving home in my little 4 banger I found myself behind a black C-5, 6-speed at a stoplight. He had after market pipes and it really looked and sounded sharp. When the light changed he took off like a bat out of hell, and I thought what the heck and floored it; I stayed right on his ass till the next light as he maxed out

Like I said well built "modified" GN. I think we all know about the pre-dawn Buick V6. Today’s technology in a V6 is a little different.

V-8 all the way! Corvettes are special, no way can an entry level V-6 be put in the same class as our babies.....Just my opinion!

Your opinion is carried by most of us, Blackvette, V-8 to the death! The day I hear a 'Vette sounding like an overpowered lawn mower is the day our tradition dies. Nothing screams like a stroked V-8 with open hookers!

V6

Only if the V6 could pump out 700 HP, and 0-60 in 3.6 seconds!!

No, I guess it must be a V8!

V-8

V-8 all the way. . . .

Could of had a V-8

No one said it was a Corvette, guys! I'm in favor of anything which GM can do to breathe new life into a venerabl old American corporation. I think I'd bite the bullet and call it a Corvair II (joke) or a (seriously!)Chaparel. So you pay Jim Hall a licensing fee, you get a cute little mascot out of the deal and a boat load of Chevy performance nostalgia without treading on the Corvetts's toes.

How about a "Corvair Too"! Or a Chevy Also? Just screwing around. . . . . .

More power to them but I still think the CORVETTE needs to remain a V-8

If it does not have a V8, lets call it something else. Make sure it has nothing to do with the corvette heritage.

Lets ask the question...

How would you feel if that car parked next to you, or was invited, at an only Corvette show? :eek:hnoes

For me thats an ikky feeling having a car where its' not wanted. The 'purity' of the Corvette name, to include Stingray, would forever be diluted. ;squint:

Sh_tcan the idea of a V6 Vette, or Stingray, or whatever you want to call it...and all it really is, and ends up being in the long run, is caving in to the 'latest flavor of the day' mentality to make a fast buck! :puke

Couple of things occur to me:

1) Desparate times call for desparate measures. If GM goes down the "tcherlit", so goes the Vette.

2) With a pseudo Sting Ray out there, how much would the value of the real McCoy be enhanced? Would it help or hinder?

It would definetly hinder the Corevette!!:bash
I think if a cheaper V6 Corevette were available, you would see so many of them on the road that it would "cheapen" the real McCoy and owning a real Corevette will no longer be special.

It's kind of what happend to the Mustang in the 70's and 80's when Ford used that turd 2.3L 4cyl engine. :puke

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom