Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

• Yes

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 727 91.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 2.9%

• Total voters
that is very forward thinking!
IF GM gets rid of Pontiac, Saturn, etal - the sky/solstice could be a defacto 6cyl corvette with a fast rebadge. Very sad but possible

With fuel economy CAFE requirements going up in 2011 our choice for the C7 is going to be no Corvette or a V6. The 3.6 DI can make 400+ hp if supercharged or turbocharged. I myself would rather have a C7 V6 than no Corvette at all.
It would be fitting that the Corvette go back to its heritage and have a V6.

TURBO

okay let me help GM w/ a clue:
T U R B O C HARG ED!
Porsche has been making power via small motors and Turbos.

T U R B O C H A R G ED!
Nothing wrong for a lil' forced induction! Although supercharging has fewer costs involved across the board. Not many people know that a couple of the '53 and '54 vettes had superchargers! :cool

Nothing wrong for a lil' forced induction! Although supercharging has fewer costs involved across the board. Not many people know that a couple of the '53 and '54 vettes had superchargers! :cool
Actually only one 54 had an aftermarket supercharger.

Strange that GM is talking about moving production of their OTHER 2 seater sports cars to Bowling Green. The caddy XLR production has been cancelled and the car has disappeared from the assembly line at BG. maybe GM is already prepareing for those V-6 cars at BG plant

If there were a major change in engine or any drive train components I (think) there would have to be a new EPA cert. testing for that configuration. I dont think that you could just dump a V6 in a Vette without it. That said it would have to be in testing now, and I doubt if anyone at EPA could keep that quiet.
Oh BTW if you look in the c7 section of our forum, you will find my older write up of the future C8 which will easily get the MPG that the Feds want!!

You may have mistaken my responce. GM has recently DELAYED the transfer of their other 2 seater sports cars that is the pontiac and saturn. There was serious talk about moving those two cars to Bowling Green Plant. NOW that GM may sell off saturn. It maybe only the Soltice that gets moved to BG along with thier respected work force

T U R B O C HARG ED!

GM has a great history with turbocharging. In fact I have a 231 cu. in v6 Turbo in my garage that is quicker than my 350 cu in lt1 AND the v6 is in a car that weighs 3500# AND gets 25 mpg hwy, plus it can seat 5, and carry 2 hockey bags in the trunk with room to spare. Buick was way ahead of it's time with turbocharging and Pontiac has had turbo V8's,and ran the buick 6 in a T/A in 89. and GMC had the Cyclone/Typhoon 4.3 Turbo in the 90's. There was also a sunburd/skyhawk turbo and was there not a fiero turbo??????

IF GM did this "stingray" idea then by all means put a turbo on it and call it a "corvair". Wasnt the corvair built to be a low budget Corvette in the first place? Also I belive some of the Corvairs were turbocharged were they not? Not sure if the platform described in a previous post is the Solstice/sky platform but I dont know why GM would build such a thing since they already have it. Both solstice/sky have a turbo verson now dont they?

Keep the v8 in the Vette. The ZR1 has shown that you can get awesome HP out of a forced induction engine (somthing us Buick boys knew for a long time :) ). Why not a 327 Cu in V8 with a blower? If GM can get the new Camaro to get 25 MPG with a 6.0 V8, then a 327 in a lighter car will get much better.

GM can build all the v6 and 4 cyl turbos they want(a new GN would be way cool! :thumb) but just keep the V8 in the Vette!

Not a corvette V6

The post I made was regarding, the relocation from their current production facilties of the Saturn and pontiac Sky/Soltrice to the Bowling Green Plant to replace the XLR which as been discontinued. Since its appears that GM will sell off Saturn and drop most of the Models for Pontiac.. It seems that the PRESS release for the Bowling Green, Kentucky UAW workers tells the LAID off workers there that these two car models (which are the same) will MOST LIKELY be moved to BG plant as a Pontiac Soltrice.. BUT GM has recently stopped that move temporarily due to Obama request to split the most productive Div. away from GM and make both Chevy & Cadillac controled by the goverment and let GM restructure the rest of GM..
Sooooooo... maybe all this talk about a V6 corvette, is only talk about a V6 2 seater brought to the Bowling Green factory for production beside the current corvette. just like the caddy XLR...use to be... I believe ONLY one, the pontiac Soltrice will REPLACE the XLR as the car to be built on the OLD XLR assembly line at GM

Chevy can make whatever sports car they want, but if it's not a RWD V8 with a plastic body then it's not a Corvette.

I already voted, but this makes me sick to even think about again. IF this is what it all boild down to ? Just bite the bullet, close the Bowling Green plant, ( maybe make products for home depot there) but lay off some more people, and re-emerge as a Auto company that builds Cadillac, Buicks and GMC trucks, Do away with dealerships and become a all-mail / internet order car company.

And PS: GM, you've tried all of my patience over the last few years, and have seen the last of my money if you continue ! :bash

V6 Corvette

You won't find one in my garage if it is a V6. Hell, I won't buy one anyway since the place is owned by the gov't and union. My next one may be a GT Mustang rather than give any money to that pile of crooked politicians and their lemmings.

Good news - we are at this time very close to a govt health care vote/enactment. :beer
If that happens ALL of your money will go to paying off the taxes (state and federal) and increased costs on everything. A c7 vette will be the least of your problems. :W
The USA will be known as the place to get free health/life care - you will be spending a ton keeping out the furriners.
It is pretty much that way now we are like disneyworld people come here enjoy the benefits and then leave. Only in this case they dont leave.

BTW dont you feel ashamed that your Vette has killed so many cutesy polar bears??:confused
Vote Democrat they will take care of us all. To the Dems - Merry Christmas.
Trade in your Vette for dominoes.:boogie

Concerns about the cost of healthcare "reform" and that GM has become a Government-funded jobs program for the UAW aside....

I think a V8-powered Corvette is going to continue in the near future. I also think the car will continue to be built on the C5/C6 architeture for the next few years. The days of powertrains like the 505-hp LS7 and the 638-hp LS9 will be over at the end of the 2010 model year. What might be coming, engine-wise? How 'bout a 7200 rpm, 5.3L engine with a supercharger and 450-500 hp?

The "C7"? I think that project is dead for now...at least in the form many understood to be under development at GM, a mid-engine car.

How about this for a 2016 Corvette...mid-engine, light weight through use of lots of composites and with a series hybrid powertrain using a gas turbine running on diesel fuel to charge the batteries?

What's Next....

I think NJLouc is right, next gen Vette is gonna be the least of the worries. This country has been destroyed from within and it ain't over yet. We will mostly be concerned with self support and whatever rides we have now will be it. I hope at the end of it all, it will be remembered that the Corvette is the greatest sport car made in the U.S.A. Worldwide respect is a given now and will remain so.

btw - Don't concern yourself with Obamadama - he's a thing that is doing what it's told.

MMMM..the next thing they will tell us that it will be made in japan :puke
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

If there is to be a V-6 let them call it something besides a Corvette! I think maybe the Pontiac Soltice could be renamed and offer a 4 clinder and V-6, why not? Not sure GM is in control of this, probably a Obama car czar has the final vote; ya think?

Bill

If there is to be a V-6 let them call it something besides a Corvette! I think maybe the Pontiac Soltice could be renamed and offer a 4 clinder and V-6, why not? Not sure GM is in control of this, probably a Obama car czar has the final vote; ya think?

Bill

I sure hope the OCC (Obama car czar) has nothing to do with Corvette, period! :mad

I'm sure someone else has mentioned this, but Chevy needs to take a look at the tally of the votes for this thread.

PLEASE, DON'T DO IT!!! :puke

I sure hope the OCC (Obama car czar) has nothing to do with Corvette, period! :mad

I'm sure someone else has mentioned this, but Chevy needs to take a look at the tally of the votes for this thread.

PLEASE, DON'T DO IT!!! :puke

I'm not even convienced Obama or his Car Czar cares if you have a car let alone if Goverment Motors makes the Corvette or puts a V-6 or V-8 either one in it ;shrug

Just make sure you get out there and VOTE this next election :thumb Does anyone out there miss George yet?

Bill :w

I'm not even convienced Obama or his Car Czar cares if you have a car let alone if Goverment Motors makes the Corvette or puts a V-6 or V-8 either one in it ;shrug

Just make sure you get out there and VOTE this next election :thumb Does anyone out there miss George yet?

Bill :w

everything will be better as long as the wealth gets spread around a little bit... :bash

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom