Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

• Yes

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 727 91.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 2.9%

• Total voters
Welcome F.J.B.!

Sorry about editing your post but there are ladies present.

-Mac

Welcome F.J.B.!

Sorry about editing your post but there are ladies present.

-Mac

Okay fine....be a communist....let me rephrase my comment, but it will be politically correct for the Liberals.....

A 6 cylinder Corvette is an asinine idea!!!!!!!!

(is that better?)

I voted NO simply because there wasn't a box to check: H*LL NAW!!!!!
Oh come on!!! The tuner set has their uhm.... :puke Cobalt. There's the overpriced SSR. The stupid looking HHR (unless you're delivering milk!). Crappy, gas guzzling Tahoes and Trailblazers. The Silverado-you gotta luv trucks to buy one of these. The Avalanche--nice name that>> a thought: body color the trim GM. It looks like a Tonka toy. The twins--Malibu and Impala. The Aveo--I mean, really. It's a Barcolounger on go-cart wheels. Would you really spend 9k-13k for that death trap!?!!! I saw one hydroplane in normal rainy conditions when an 18-wheeler blew by it. It toppled off the road like a clown car. And last, there's a possible re-worked Camaro. Yeah, saw that. Rework it. That angular look is even going by the wayside for those aneorexic run-way girls.
If this..., thing..., comes to fruition, just call it the Cav II or h*ll, resurrect Chevette, but don't tag it with anything pertaining to Corvette heritage.
Just something else for GM to stick cheap plastic parts in with no thought what-so-ever to the consumer.

Okay fine....be a communist....let me rephrase my comment, but it will be politically correct for the Liberals.....

(is that better?)

F.J.B.,

We're happy to see you posting, but labelling Mac as a communist is a quick way to lose that privilege.

Let's keep it civil.

"If it would help them stay profitable I'm sure GM would put "Sting Ray" on a golf cart." ;LOL

OK, you buncha purists. Putting a variety of engines in the Mushtang took absolutely nothing away from the performance image of that car. You still have the factory Cobra and there are tuners like Saleen. You folks may know better than me but the last I heard, Chevy was still selling all the C6s it could make. If they wanted to put a huffer micro mouse motor in the Corvette (I STILL think it needs to go on a diet), then it's still a performance vehicle and it stays within the brand image.

In today's business environment, IF the V6 is a possibility, I think GM drops it into the Sky/Solstice and that's the end of the story. I think.

Still not heretical enough? OK, remember the Eddy Bauer Edition Explorer? How about a ShopRite Edition Corvette with an I4 and cargo nets? And don't forget the step rails and AWD. :_rock VNV HAS to have a picture of that somewhere.

Interesting.

I just pinged the Corvette web site and I see absolutely no reference to a branding statement...you know, something like "America's Only True Sports Car" or similar dribble.

Hmmmm. Suggests to me the brand defintion is in flux. More importantly, the very first option on the left hand menu is not Z06 or anything neat, it's about fuel efficiency.

I think you may be seeing a V6 in your future, Corvette.

Even more bizarre...just came back from Europe where I drove a variety of small displacement turbo diesels and they impressed the hell out of me, both on the low and top ends. You saw it here first, a diesel Corvette.

I'll lie down 'till it passes.:z

kappa.jpg

In February 2006, Motor Trend published a short article about the Corvette Sting Ray coming back as a V6 powered version of the Kappa platform.

They wrote:

Full Article: http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0602_chevrolet_kappa_sting_ray/index.html

The rumors are once again getting much stronger!

What are your thoughts on this? Should the Corvette remain V8 powered only, or would a V6 version be ok since the Corvette started out with a V6 back in 1953?

What is your evidence that this rumor is getting stronger? I have not seen anything since this originally came out in the Autoweek article. The prevailing opinion was that it should not be called a Corvette.

Tell me it ain't so.....

Not now, not tomorrow, not ever......:eyerole

Vettes are a low production flag ship. Keep it that way. Why mess with success? Another Chevy sporty type car would be OK, but leave my Vette ALONE!!
:mad :r

Looks nice but it is not a Corvette!
keep it as a Chevy, do not dilute the flagship!
Tom

(is that better?)
Much better, thanks...

I didn't realize that dropping an f-bomb was all it takes to eliminate communism, political correctness and liberalism. Man, I'm going to go change the world!! :L

-Mac

!!! Tangent Alert !!!
I didn't realize that dropping an f-bomb was all it takes to eliminate communism ...and liberalism. Man, I'm going to go change the world!! :L
NO!!! What's that leave us???? Fascism and Conservatism??!?! NO!!! You're not a part of "10 Years After"...Don't change the world! :L
!!! Tangent Alert !!!

We now return you to your normally scheduled programming: The V6 Corvette. :D

What's with the: !!! Tangent Alerts !!!
Just my way of saying, "OK, I'm going off topic here for just one second...I'm not trying to hijack the thread and don't intend for my post to be the new topic." :D

My Corvette is a Stingray, and this proposed new Sting Ray is not a Corvette.

I guess the fuss is about naming a new car Sting Ray with a V6 in it. I don't like naming a car Sting Ray but what I am going to do - protest GM by buying Fords instead? I can't believe they stopped building Camaros, and I don't like trucks carrying the SS banner either.

The idea of a V6 Corvette is fine with me as long as it makes more horsepower than the V8. A supercharged V6 should be lighter than the V8 and lighten up the car - right?

If GM really had it together they would have named the new performance Corvette the Stingray. Then they could name this new car with some sequence of numbers and letters.

Call it a Corvair Monza Spider and be done with it. It may get some free press as Ralph Nadar will probably perk up and notice. :)

You have to ask, from GM's perspective, what is the end result from a six cylinder powered two-seater within the Corvette family and what it is meant to accomplish.

Higher volume, increased sales, brand awareness, broader markets, environmental regulations, less packaging weight, lower insurance premiums, decreased production costs, etc. are all important considerations.

The Corvette has a brand awareness with unique equity, from a naturally aspirated overhead valve small block Chevy, rear drive, and two seats. Headlights are still debated, materials change, and wheels get bigger, but the package says "Corvette" from a mile away.

If we are looking at lower costs, with the supply and demand leading to increased sales, why not dip into the family of engines at a lower displacement. I'm nearing thirty years old, have an older Vette, and me and my wife make decent money, but simply cannot afford a new Vette. If a new 4.8L V8, 285 hp, low-option Vette sold for $30,000 tomorrow, I would write a check PROUDLY, as would many of you reading this.

If gas consumption or emission controls are an issue, displacement on demand, skip shift transmissions, and final drive ratios are technologies presently available to avoid the gas guzzler tax GM is quick to advertise against. And if less 'gadgets' were installed to begin with, the overall weight would decrease, and we all know the advantages of that.

Corvette has a large percentage of customers as repeat customers. Owners are justifiably proud of what the Corvette means to us, its performance, and its appeal on the road. So why would GM consider a six cylinder engine after spending fifty years of development and heritage to be where it is today.

Would you camp out two days to hear a C6-R turbo V6 at speed? This isn't 1985. The Corvette needs to be de-contented, not de-masculinated.

The Future??

June 2026, Motor Trend

Toyota's performance division, Corvette, anounced the new 2028 lineup today. The Zed-Oh-8 built on the Zeta platform heads the lineup with twin 20,000 Kwh Hydro power plants. The Stingray coupe and Sting Ray convertable round off the offering, built on the Delta platform both powered by 15,000 Kwh Hydros. Toyota's Corvette performance is unmatched for the price, you can't touch anything close for under $765,000 Euros.

In related news Toyota is rumored to be bringing back the Chevrolet name and bow tie logo for 2029 as a family performance commuter line, it is unclear if they will use it as a new division or if Corvette will get it as a sub-brand. Jeremy Clarkson the current VP or Corvette said in a statment earlier this week they are undecided. However he indicated this would be fitting as the turn of the Millinium decision made by then GM brand Chevrolet, when they made the decision to use the Corvette model to attempt to bolster it's declining market share. This worked to some advantage, until the Chevrolet brand became Corvette and no longer had the panache it once did. Anyone remember the 2015 Corvette Outlander CUV with it's 1.8 hybriddeisel and AWD? How about the Edsel or the Aztek? Some say the Vette Outlander was the nail in the coffin for GM allowing Toyota to assume ownership. Clarksen did say he and Toyota will not let that fiasco happen again.

MT-2026

Oh, No!

The only question that should be posed to a Vette owner about what's under the hood is "Big Block or Small Block". Period.

Just my way of saying, "OK, I'm going off topic here for just one second...I'm not trying to hijack the thread and don't intend for my post to be the new topic." :D

Whew! For minute there I though I would be seeing something like, ;) :D

!!Vectoring, Vectoring, Vectoring!!

or

!!Warning, Warning!! "Vectoring, Vectoring, Vectoring"

:rotfl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom