Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

• Yes

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 727 91.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 2.9%

• Total voters
I too voted no, but I think there are probably waaaay too many folks getting their Maidenforms all bunched up over nothing. Know wud I mean Vern? ;squint:

The concept is great. The name is wrong.

Are we all pretty much in agreement?

Just curious but its the name thats wrong.

GM would do great to build the car! just don't call it stingray or corvette?

Call it a Corvair

Why not use the Corvair name....or
Manta Ray
but NEVER call it a Corvette.
Nice car, wrong name.

We should start another thread to name the car (besides Sting Ray)
I already have some ideas if GM is looking to reuse some past names.
devil-smiley-023.gif

The Corvette has been a front engined, rear wheel drive, two seat, V8 powered car since 1955. It is a formula that has worked for 50+ years. I just see no reason to mess with success.

and for those who want a 6 let them buy a pontiac or saturn

GM is in trouble and they know it.

So whatever they do it's purely for survival. If they thought that they could sell it under the name of Corvette Stingray they will.

Look at Mercede's and Porsche they both offer vehicles with their name on it just to sell them. And it works.

The Boxster is called a Porsche Boxster but the only thing in common with a real Porsche is the name period. But Boxster owners will tell their freinds that they own a Porsche.

Look at the Mercedes they offer a C series that carries a Mercedes name but it only carries the name otherwise it's an inexpensive sedan that is probably not as good as a Honda but when questioned what they are driving they can say l'm driving a Mercedes.

In our society it is not what is but what it seems to be.

Alan

The Stingray name is being saved for the so called "Blue Devil"

Alan

GM has it's head where the sun don't shine.

They have continued to make the Corvette evolve into a world beater and now they want to water the name plate down. Bad move. The old saying "a camel is a horse designed by GM committees" comes to mind. They blew it on the Mustang by coming up with a Camaro years too late, having built the ridiculous SSR and have winners in the Solstace/Sky. let Pontiac and Saturn have those markets and not prostitute the Corvette label.

GM is ready for a Swan Dive

They have too many bean counter's instead of car lovers on their payroll. They are like monkey see monkey do. I unloaded all of my GM stock in my pension plan years ago and if l didn't l would be working for a lot longer to make up my loses.

The only way for GM to learn is to go belly up.

Such a sad day in motoring.

Alan

It is my opinion that a v6 vette, (gee that even sounds terrible) won't solve gm's problems. GM needs to compete with toyota, honda, chrysler, etc not itself. No use selling a corvette buyer a v6 mini vette. Just a sale they already had. Gm needs to go outside the markets they have to increase sales and profits. my 2 cents worth. Jay

It is a good concept, but not as any stripe of Corvette. Give it its own name and leave the iconic Corvette clean to stand out and shine in the light of its own legend.

The names Solstice and Skye are lame and wussy, so if they want to top the GM V6 roadster trio with something hot, go for sex, brutality or speed ... something like, Machismochine, Shok-n-awe, or Zingy ............ LOL!

so if they want to top the GM V6 roadster trio with something hot, go for sex, brutality or speed ... something like, Machismochine, Shok-n-awe, or Zingy ............ LOL!
Brutality and V6 should never be in the same sentence unless it's this one or one referring to ride quality! :L

Eh, kids today don't necessarily equate performance with a V8. Lookit the Honda S2000, and the Z. For a V6, two less cylinders, less aluminum to drag around, 3 or 4 valves per cylinder and all the new gee-whiz technology attracts a different type of buyer.

I would really like to know the demographics of the 2006 Corvette buyer. My guess (a pure hunch based on my "windshield surveys") is that the average Corvette buyer is a bit long in the tooth. Doesn't mean that young guys don't lust after the car, I just don't think it would be their first (or second) performance choice. Any data out there to prove/disprove my guess that the average age of a Corvette buyer is ~35 YO?

I think it's all about money and ways of getting a younger buyer into line.

JMHO

Eh, kids today don't necessarily equate performance with a V8. Lookit the Honda S2000, and the Z. For a V6, two less cylinders, less aluminum to drag around, 3 or 4 valves per cylinder and all the new gee-whiz technology attracts a different type of buyer.
The Lotus Elise is probably the best example... :D

The Lotus Elise is probably the best example... :D

You KNOW, that's a good point. There is actually a Lotus dealer in my little boro (Hopewell, NJ) and they appear to be doing one hell of business. They are selling lots of Elise's, always different colors on the lot and in the showroom. I wonder who's sales they're stealing? Buncha' OWGs is all that I see behind the wheel. Probably the only types who can drop 45 Large on a toy.

But Kid, they are also selling Rolls & Jag's (the real thing, old style), so i dont know if that compares to the young crowd GM seems to want to get to. If GM hopes to get younger buyers into the brand, they need a starter type car that has buzz.. Not a Vette, by name only.. See Scion's et al.. Cheap, Cool and mod'able.. ;)

know if that compares to the young crowd GM seems to want to get to. If GM hopes to get younger buyers into the brand, they need a starter type car that has buzz..
They already have it. It's called the Cobalt SS.

Yep, they why muck with the Vette name.. ;)
As a little thread refresher...this particular article doesn't refer to the car as a Corvette, but a "Sting Ray". However, the mental association is there to the general public.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom