Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

• Yes

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 727 91.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 2.9%

• Total voters
Testing- tested !

I test drove the Turbo Solstice and looked at Saturn Sky. The turbo versions both go like stink. But they have, in effect, NO trunk [maybe small duffle bag fits w/ top up] and the a$$end breaks loose big time when you nail it at city speeds. Also, I felt claustophobic when inside the cabin.;shrug They do look great tho!:eek:hnoes

The end of a generation

The way the hp wars are going we are going to have a 800hp machine out there but still will not be able to break 3.5 sec's 0-60 because there isn'ty enough rubber to grab the ground.

It's all about mental masturbation and dick waving.

Alan:beer

Sounds like they want to make a "porsche boxter" type of vehicle. It could work except that they already make a saturn and pontiac version of the car. They need to come up with a totally different vehicle or whats the point?

Sounds like they want to make a "porsche boxter" type of vehicle. It could work except that they already make a saturn and pontiac version of the car. They need to come up with a totally different vehicle or whats the point?

In the proposal by the GM CEO before congress wasn't part of his plan to eliminate Pontiac and Saturn divisions?

as long as GM has V-8 power pickup trucks the corvette will have a V-8 because they are build at the same factory. no more V-8 pickups no more V-8 corvettes simple as that

as long as GM has V-8 power pickup trucks the corvette will have a V-8 because they are build at the same factory. no more V-8 pickups no more V-8 corvettes simple as that

Owned 11 new Vettes, might be a record you think?

Bill :w

I can deal with a V-6 in the Camaro; but it is still a metal body isn't it? Not seen one yet in person but the pictures look good; nothing wrong with offering a V-6 in it though! But V-8 and Corvette goes together, maybe one day it won't be feasible but I think the V-8 and Corvette will be together for some time yet; like I said before this is not GM's immediate problem!

..the japs get over 300hp out of a regularly aspirated v6 with vvt and you guys are hung up on history.........as long as they don't make the body a porker, the proposed combination sounds like a hell of a car.....i take it you folks have never driven a lotus elise.......a 4 BANGER (toyota, no less) that will keep the grin on your face for quite a while..................................................... OK, LET's REVIEW.....a lotus elise sc does 0-60 in 4.4sec whereas the base corvette is rated at 4.0sec......AND the counter argument would be - history????

History is what made Corvette what it is today

Who cares what the reason is; what is your point? History is what made Corvette what it is today; stuck on it or not! Give me a US built V-8 you can have all the 4-Bangers you want; the horse power is not my issue anyway, nothing sounds or runs like a V-8. Maybe with more support the BIG-3 wouldn't be needing a governement bail out either! I know that's not their only issue but it's some of it! I believe in free trade for the most part; not sure it is two sided; but I believe in supporting my country FIRST!

Don't take this wrong I just had to get it out, :beer but we must agree to disagree!

..the japs get over 300hp out of a regularly aspirated v6 with vvt and you guys are hung up on history.........as long as they don't make the body a porker, the proposed combination sounds like a hell of a car.....i take it you folks have never driven a lotus elise.......a 4 BANGER (toyota, no less) that will keep the grin on your face for quite a while..................................................... OK, LET's REVIEW.....a lotus elise sc does 0-60 in 4.4sec whereas the base corvette is rated at 4.0sec......AND the counter argument would be - history????

Kid,

You are generaly correct on those other cars; however, the V8 engine has been the center piece upon which Coverttes have been built. Only the first few Corvette year-models had an in- line six, and we do not doubt that Corvette engineers would be up to the task to make a less-than-V8 engine that could exceed in performance even over the LS7, but this would perhaps morph the Corvette into a different breed of Sports car. I for one, like the idea of naming the version of car being discussed here as the "Corvair". :thumbs

I could of had a V-8

Well said GerryLP, maybe I am a history buff and traditional but that is just the way it is!

Hell I could of had a V-8 anytime kind of guy!

kappa.jpg

In February 2006, Motor Trend published a short article about the Corvette Sting Ray coming back as a V6 powered version of the Kappa platform.

They wrote:

Full Article: Chevrolet Kappa Sting Ray - Spied Vehicles - Motor Trend

The rumors are once again getting much stronger!

What are your thoughts on this? Should the Corvette remain V8 powered only, or would a V6 version be ok since the Corvette started out with a V6 back in 1953?
It may have had a SIX-Cylinder in it in '53, But it wasn't a V-6 ( A 60 Degree V6 did not exist then //// It was the "Blue Flame" inline six-cylinder truck engine (235 C.I Blue Flame I6) two-speed Powerglide automatic transmission and Yeah that might be interesting to see, not sure it should wear the name STINGRAY

Interesting article for sure, maybe it won't say Corvette anywhere!

In another words.......

"There is no replacement for displacement"!

Simple, done...............;squint:

Undecided!!! now if they turbocharge the engine that might be interesting!

take the Inline six-cylinder ( 4.2 liter and shoe-horn it in Then it would have a nostalgic feel to it...re-label that Vortec and the a new BLUE FLAME 300 hp I-6...They still have those don't they

When this 6cyl thread first appeared I said no way to a V6. However in the intervening weeks, there has been serious talks of NO vette at all. So I changed my mind and considered a "low end" vette with the new Camaro V6. All this would be in a C6 real body.
My thought was that the 300HP V6 would be very good and with some major deletes a vette could be had for a VERY cheap MSRP, and somewhat lighter. In other words a stripper Vette - like what was envisioned with the original notchback c5. With that they removed many items and reduced the price by pennies. Not good.
The idea of the rebadging of a Sky/Solstice is absurd.
They could do that now for $50 in badges, who needs that

you are right about buying the badges I think with pontiac GONE there is no more solstice and saturn, its a cleaner looking convertible It would be nice to know if that will be available in a coupe( they just started to offer the solstice in a coupe( when you were ordering it) i agree Don't call it a corvette, call it the stingray and have the Mallet V8 option available

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom