Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumors Regarding the Stopping and Possible End of ZR1 Production

Rumors are Rumors

As I have said to friends who has told me that the Corvette model is ending in 2009 and regarding the ZR1 rumor; why would GM, a company in need of cash, stop producing a car that has such a high profit margin? It just doesn't make sense. The Corvette will be around for a while!
B

if you sell ZR1's and wanted to push the price up even further for dealer mark up, what better thing to happen than to have the rumor and panic that no more were being built.....think about the run up in price if production all of a sudden went from a planned 2000 to 150! Rumors can sometimes be very self serving!

I've worked in corporate America, in the the airline industry (now gone Eastern *sniff*). Rumors flew all the time. Rumors are just that, rumors, until they become true. Several did.

So I wouldn't dismiss it just yet, even if company people speak the company line and proclaim this rumor to be false. Only time will really tell.

And more response...

This is simply not true. Nothing more than a rumor. Thanks for checking!

Adam Denison
Assistant Manager, Chevrolet Product Communications

I agree... GM isn't going to stop producing a car that is already effectively "Sold!" before it even rolls off the line. Even with an overall struggling economy, there are still at least (x+1) number of buyers for the (x) number of ZR-1s that will be produced.

As for the 'other' website spreading or being a source of rumors....:L....yeah, coming from a site that blatantly disregards GM embargos, I'm sure their info is always spot-on, right from the mouth of GM's uppers. Uh-huh! :eyerole

I doubt the falling economy will affect ZR1 sales.

For the price that the ZR1 is going for (even though its considerably less than similar vehicles) its only going to be available to the very rich. The type of people likely to purchase ZR1s are not affected much by recessions. For them this is the time to buy because you can get the best deals from the people that do not have swimming pools full of money.

After a limited investigation, it looks to me like one of the sponsors of digitalcorvettes.com might be the source of the rediculous rumor about the ZR1's demise. Rick Conti, a salesperson for EVS Chevrolet in Wisconsin, is a sponsor of and frequent poster to DC and has his own blog.

When you read that POS, you can see how the rumor got going. Clearly, the seeminly self-esteem-challenged Mr. Conti is trying to gain exposure...what car salesman doesn't want that. The problem is that he gains that exposure though rumor, inuendo and wild-assed guessing.

That blog, when it stoops to the low level of quality demonsrated by it's ZR1 "reporting" doesn't do the Corvette or our hobby any good. Conti seems to know only enough about Corvette to be dangerous, he's proved that.

When you compare a piss-poor, rumor/forum site like "digital corvettes" to the CAC you quickly learn how important credibility, research and facts can be.

In my opinion, Conti's behavior, also, says much about EVS Chevrolet. If you're looking to buy a Vette, or any Chevy for that matter, don't buy it from EVS. Buy from a dealer which you believe is genuinely concerned with the Corvette community just as much as it wants to sell cars.

corvetelove

I will check this info out in tomorrow's 'thingstodo' list. I have been on conti's email list for a long time and found the info and photos always topnotch.:) I dont bash Dealer's or Salemen/Saleswomen. Maybe I missed something.....:beer he doesnt sell the re-bodied smart car yet...:L :L

Thats a photoshop right? That re-bodied smart car isn't real is it? .... it looks like a power wheels lol

isit-isn't?

:chuckle The Dodge slingshot started this couple of years ago but petered out. Size of a Miata. These photos are from the enthusiasts site. http://www.caymanclub.net/automotive-off-topic/26204-smart-car-body-kits.html .........

Anyway, the ZR-1 will be affordable when the inventory doesn't reduce at a constant pace, after the 1st of the Year thru April will be prime time for good deals...:beer

Thats a photoshop right? That re-bodied smart car isn't real is it? .... it looks like a power wheels lol
Already discussed to some extent over in the Off Road Lounge. Click!

Actually there are several peolple doing exactly that with new Ferrari's. You get your name on the list and when your car is ready 1-2 years down the road you find someone who would rather pay a premium then wait and sell it for a tidy profit on the open market that Ferrari has no way of policing. As far as the "gouging" you claim the Chevy dealers are practicing, it is called a free market economy, it is how the entire country runs in a capitolistic society. I say if the guy that sold me my '08 coupe for under invoice can make some serious profit from someone who is willing and able to pay the premium for the latest hot item then more power to him. No one is being forced here, if you would rather wait until the frenzy stops and pay MSRP or even get a discount then suit yourself. But don't point acusingly at a struggling dealer trying to make a profit when the opportunity arises.

OH, Yes I Will point a finger at the dealer that gouges folks for 30,000 + over the MSRP. See if you can guess which one!
If he sold the car at MSRP he still ONLY makes around $18,000 per car.
And YES I Will buy something else that is selling AT MSRP or less.
That IS what's great about the free market!

OH, Yes I Will point a finger at the dealer that gouges folks for 30,000 + over the MSRP. See if you can guess which one!
If he sold the car at MSRP he still ONLY makes around $18,000 per car.
And YES I Will buy something else that is selling AT MSRP or less.
That IS what's great about the free market!

:thumb I agree. Dont forget - Quality-fit-finish will come into play when economy is down and smart buyers want the best bang for the buck. (My girlfriend just bought a new Lexus and its flawless) Rumors hurt too....;squint: (like some of the thread also the one about merger of GM and Chrysler..etc..). :eek:hnoes

There is a radio DJ in Tampa that had his ZR-1 roll off the assembly line yesterday.He had someone from the plant on the radio as it came off the line and had him start it up for his audience to hear.

hearing his baby's first cry when born

There is a radio DJ in Tampa that had his ZR-1 roll off the assembly line yesterday.He had someone from the plant on the radio as it came off the line and had him start it up for his audience to hear.

Now thats a Proud owner and a very cool idea...
Dont Forget the Daytona Beach Dream Cruise on the 25th..:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom