Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Run flat tires or non run flat?

Daville

Corvette
'03 50th Anniversary Coupe
What are the pros and cons of run flat tires? Will a plug kit and "spare in a can" work as well as the run flats? I have original replacement run flats on my 50th Anniversary coupe, and am looking for a smoother quieter ride and a more reasonably priced tire. Experiences? Suggestions?

We replaced my husband's '02 convertible's original runflats with Michelin Pilot Sports A/S tires two years ago. We like them so much that we replaced the original super car tires on my '05 Z51 convertible with the same tires a few months ago. They're not the cheapest out there, but they carry the security of a runflat, and they are most quieter and handle beautifully.

Elaine

^
|
What she said.

Michelin PS A/S ZP tires. Have a set on my '08 and previously had them on my '03 AE. Also, it would not hurt to have a plug kit and 12v air compressor in the car even with run flats.

Also, you may not want to use anything like fixaflat aerosols because I've heard that it interferes with your tire sensors. I carry a plug kit and compressor in both of my Vette's.

Have you ever tried to use a plug kit and small compressor out on the road? I've had runflats and non runflats on a C5 and I like the "peace of mind" of a runflat.

Have you ever tried to use a plug kit and small compressor out on the road?

During a race riot of a snowy winter night .:confusedPlus your 100 miles from 'Wild Willies used tire store" .Plus Plus the puncture is in the edge of the sidewall and it's a one inch gash .Plus Plus Plus the gash was caused by two members of "The Hells Angels" who hate Corvette drivers .

What are the pros and cons of run flat tires? Will a plug kit and "spare in a can" work as well as the run flats? I have original replacement run flats on my 50th Anniversary coupe, and am looking for a smoother quieter ride and a more reasonably priced tire. Experiences? Suggestions?

I had Goodyear non runflats on mine, and when they wore out I had Michelin A/S ZP runflats installed. The ride and handling are the same as the non runflat Goodyears, plus I can drive 100 miles and up to 50 mph with a flat tire. Win, win, in my opinion. They do cost more than non runflats though. Good luck with what ever you choose.

:ugh This is the first time I have responded to this debate about Run Flats vs Non Run Flats,,... gulp... deep breath...

When our '03 needs her tires replaced, I would go with Non Run Flats ;) I'm getting pretty long in the tooth and getting or having a flat tire isn't my problem anymore... it's AAA or whatever roadside service is available then find a Tire Dealership and get the flat fixed or replaced ;shrug.

Oh, when I was younger I would have changed out the flat with the spare and been on my way... to the next town and get the flat fixed and put back on ;) Hell I can't even lay down and look under the '03... maybe on back with my head all twisted out of shape and looking like a dork trying to catch snow flakes in an August Toad Strangler Rain Storm :D

I used to get behind the wheel, lay my ears back and go. Stop for gas grab a sandwich, coffee and back on the road. I would be good for around 30 hours or so, usually until I got to my final destination :Steer ... Now it starts getting dark and we are looking for a Best Western or nice Motel for the night...

Security of a having Run Flats really doesn't make me sleep any better, just more $$$ out of pocket.. In all the years I've driven... almost 50 now (legally) I can count on one hand how many road trip flats I've had. Since the early 1980's it seems to be more of a "CHECK ENGINE" trouble than tire related ;)

When (if ever) I put Non Run Flats on any of my vehicles, I will probably feel the urge to thumb my nose at the Road Gods, throwing caution to the wind... I know I'm such a dare devil.. a rebel of my generation :lou

There ya have it ... MY OPINION!!

Bud

I'll never be without my run flats (Michelins)!!!!!!!! Greatest invention in the world (next to sliced bread, of course)!!!!!

I was certainly glad that I had runflats this past summer. I would have been dead in the water in St. Louis without them. With them I was able to find a place to repair it and be on my way....a couple hours late...but on my way none the less. Without a spare, I'll take what I can get. The Michelins were not all that expensive, right about $1000 out the door.

:ugh This is the first time I have responded to this debate about Run Flats vs Non Run Flats,,... gulp... deep breath...

When our '03 needs her tires replaced, I would go with Non Run Flats ;) I'm getting pretty long in the tooth and getting or having a flat tire isn't my problem anymore... it's AAA or whatever roadside service is available then find a Tire Dealership and get the flat fixed or replaced ;shrug.

Oh, when I was younger I would have changed out the flat with the spare and been on my way... to the next town and get the flat fixed and put back on ;) Hell I can't even lay down and look under the '03... maybe on back with my head all twisted out of shape and looking like a dork trying to catch snow flakes in an August Toad Strangler Rain Storm :D

I used to get behind the wheel, lay my ears back and go. Stop for gas grab a sandwich, coffee and back on the road. I would be good for around 30 hours or so, usually until I got to my final destination :Steer ... Now it starts getting dark and we are looking for a Best Western or nice Motel for the night...

Security of a having Run Flats really doesn't make me sleep any better, just more $$$ out of pocket.. In all the years I've driven... almost 50 now (legally) I can count on one hand how many road trip flats I've had. Since the early 1980's it seems to be more of a "CHECK ENGINE" trouble than tire related ;)

When (if ever) I put Non Run Flats on any of my vehicles, I will probably feel the urge to thumb my nose at the Road Gods, throwing caution to the wind... I know I'm such a dare devil.. a rebel of my generation :lou

There ya have it ... MY OPINION!!

Bud

There is no right or wrong answer to runflat or no runflats, just personal preferences, needs, and wants.

After reading your post I would think that you would be a runflat person. :)

Thanks for the inputs

Lots of good stories, plenty of technical advice, and all the pros and cons. Looks like the runflat folks win. I'm convinced, I think! Pueblodave

Have you ever tried to use a plug kit and small compressor out on the road? I've had runflats and non runflats on a C5 and I like the "peace of mind" of a runflat.

Yes and more than once going back to my C4 days on run-flats and non-run-flats.

Last year, a co-worker had a flat tire in the parking lot and he was about to jack up the car to change it. I noticed the 'nail' in the tire and told him I could plug it. Since he had the wheel loose already, it was easier to plug off the car but not necessary. Plug in, compressor on and tire back on the car in under 15 minutes and he didn't need to take out the mini-spare.

I had to use my compressor on another Corvette during a weekend run. Had him up and running in 15-20 minutes. I have a compressor that will inflate a passenger car tire in 3-4 mins and I use the StopNGo plug kit. Naturally, if the hole is too big the plug kit is a moot point and the run-flat would be best.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom