Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Saved from the freezing rain.

Vettepirate

Corvette
2002 Blue z06
What a close call this one was.

Im sitting im my basement on New Years eve, munching some M&Ms and watching Pirates 2, which i got for christmas. The Movie is good, the M&Ms cant be bad, and im just relaxing, not the best New Years but hey, you cant ALWAYS have a blast.

The movie is over. I feel compelled to go upstairs to have a look outside, you never know what mother nature will throw at you, especially here in Ottawa. Sure enough, she decided to throw me the worst at the worst time. Normally, my Vette is covered in the garage. Tonight wasnt the case. Since we had squirrel problems where they were chewing apart our wires and such, i had to take my car out for the exterminator and repairman to have room to climb up and solve our problems

One day is all it took. I come outside tonight to see my car cover sheeted with about 3mm of ice. I get my keys, run outside, pull off the cover (which at this point probably weighs close to 100 pounds) and get my car into the garage as fast as i can. I just left the cover beside the house, i wont be getting it back till summertime, not that i care that much, because ill be renting storage now.

Here I am trying maintain something that cost me so much, yet fortune seems not to favor me.

I hope my luck gets better fast, if anything more happens to this thing ill probably have an ulcer :ugh

Thanks for sending YOUR ice ,yes YOUR ice to Maine.YOUR ice is all over my driveway as we speak.I'd recommend you fill up your pockets with M&M's come on out here and take YOUR ice back.While your here i'll swap you a car cover for eight red ones ,six browns and four yellows.Happy New Years. :naughty:

Thanks for sending YOUR ice ,yes YOUR ice to Maine.YOUR ice is all over my driveway as we speak.I'd recommend you fill up your pockets with M&M's come on out here and take YOUR ice back.While your here i'll swap you a car cover for eight red ones ,six browns and four yellows.Happy New Years. :naughty:
What happen to the Gummy Bears???:rotfl :upthumbs

I'll have to go out and look, but all we got is rain, went to go to a party last night and couldn't see the road it was so foggy. I'll have to take a picture of the first rid of 2007. It may be a wet one. ;)

:mad Allow me to flame myself (;) ), before anyone else does.

65-to-00 .... :r

Get over it. OK, it's a Vette and all, but it was under a cover and the I-C-E would M-E-L-T .... it does that ya' know?

And ..... you took the cover off and tossed it on the G-R-O-U-N-D, where it will pick up D-I-R-T ..... that gritty nasty stuff that will scratch the paint.

Now, you got real worries .... not to mention that one lone varmint lurking in the garage waiting to extract rodent revenge ... :W

I could understand some Georgia bo' reactin to a little ice .... but a Canadian?

Yo' a real Canadian? ....... Yo' sure now boy? ...... ;LOL

Your ice made it all the way here to Central MA!;)

>I hope my luck gets better fast, if anything more happens to this thing ill >probably have an ulcer

Welcome to the club. A few beers should relieve some of that anxiety, and a cup of pepto will help out with the ulcer! :L

VettePirate,
I can completely understand and sympathize with what winter weather does to the emotional state of Corvette owners. My own Z06 has been couped up in the garage for two weeks already, and until the ice and snow have retreated enough from the streets around here to ensure I don't get a constant "active handling warming up" message while fishtailing all over the place, the Z06 stays put. :(

Have the squirrels squatting in your garage been dealt with yet? We're having a bit of a problem with rabbits around here, taking refuge under the warm undersides of cars in parking lots, and then starting to chew on wiring under the cars.

-Patrick

I wasn't the only one out with my Vette today, the Yellow 69 belongs to a FCCC club member and is his only car.
DSC00445.JPG

Yea, i have to get over it, but it can be difficult at times considering its the only thing of value that i care about right now, i did pay almost $50k for it, which counts for something.

I told myself that: the ice would melt. However, the tires were already overinflated for storage, i dont think the tires could have dealt with the extra weight of the snow and ice all winter long. Ice doesnt melt as fast here as elsewhere.

The dirt on the cover can always be cleaned off, so im not worried about that.

I dont know, maybe it wasnt worth posting. I just figured someone might be able to relate.

:mad Allow me to flame myself (;) ), before anyone else does.

65-to-00 .... :r

Get over it. OK, it's a Vette and all, but it was under a cover and the I-C-E would M-E-L-T .... it does that ya' know?

And ..... you took the cover off and tossed it on the G-R-O-U-N-D, where it will pick up D-I-R-T ..... that gritty nasty stuff that will scratch the paint.

Now, you got real worries .... not to mention that one lone varmint lurking in the garage waiting to extract rodent revenge ... :W

I could understand some Georgia bo' reactin to a little ice .... but a Canadian?

Yo' a real Canadian? ....... Yo' sure now boy? ...... ;LOL

Ease up Big Fella--This Canadian is OK! Hope you noticed he's taking the Vette to "rented storage" which is a good move! Just hope it's mouse free;)

Yeah, we're glad you posted, since we all feel exactly the same way about our cars. I got a kick out of your post because I could put myself in your position. Before I had a garage I used to panic every time I saw dark clouds. I'd run out and put my car cover on and pray that it wouldn't rain!

Well im glad im not the only one who would worry about the sound of rain, not to mention the dire consequences of a frozen-on car cover.

I may forego the storage for the time being. My complete dump of a garage is my only impetus for seeking a storage shed, i think a simple tidying in there is whats called for. Storage does tend to get expensive it seems.

I know, I was just having a bit of fun. ;)

My problem is the two mangy "garage cats" that we have. If I park the car warm, those two sharp clawed demons are up on the black paint in a flash.

It's the only reason I bought a cover; park in the driveway and they are up on it in a flash too .... the black is a (warm), cat magnet.

Put the cover on and they are up there sharpening their claws on it ..... and they use the tires for a scratching post ....

If anyone "knows a guy" .... who "knows a guy" ..... who er ...... specializes in cat wacking .... lemme know?

:D

You are not alone!

Well im glad im not the only one who would worry about the sound of rain, not to mention the dire consequences of a frozen-on car cover.

For those of us that "bought to drive em," I think we all struggle with the desire to maintain our vettes in pristine condition against the reality that we can never achieve that state of perfection (damned dump trucks :mad; spewing their stones and pebbles like a firestorm from the heavens). Still, it just sucks when bad things happen to perfectly good cars, for no apparently good reason.

Anyway, the fun's in the journey, and various mantras keep me from losing touch, e.g. it's only a car; I'll probably be able to buy at least one more; in 50 years it won't matter (for me anyway), blah, blah blah....

I just got back from the garage. I had it out today, parked it, and decided, with much machismo, to forgo the usual cleansing routine. Guilt got the better of me just after supper. She beckons me like some sinister siren from the sea.

She's clean again.

Dave

Well vettepirate I went out to de-ice my wifes new Escape with a turkey burner.Burned two tires off it and the paint on the right side is pretty black. I just told her it was a lightning stike during the night. :naughty:

No car should have to endure a layer of ice, especially not a vette. It just seems wrong and cruel.

Well vettepirate I went out to de-ice my wifes new Escape with a turkey burner.Burned two tires off it and the paint on the right side is pretty black. I just told her it was a lightning stike during the night. :naughty:

Just as long as she doesnt extend the same courtesy by someday deciding to dry your car with a 50% polyester rag ;)

I tell my family; do NOT touch the car in any instance except in the event that it is outside about to be struck by hail of brimstone or similar unlikely debris. Otherwise, there really is no need for anyone to touch it.

I guess sometimes we have to be borderline mean to protect our cars. :D

For future reference, a few gallon jugs of warm water poured on the car will de-ice everything off the surface including the wheels.:) I do this to my winter car all the time in the winter when the ice is too thick to scrape off the windshield, even in really cold temps. No scratches, no rubbing, just pour and go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom