Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Saved from the freezing rain.

What a close call this one was.

Im sitting im my basement on New Years eve, munching some M&Ms and watching Pirates 2, which i got for christmas. The Movie is good, the M&Ms cant be bad, and im just relaxing, not the best New Years but hey, you cant ALWAYS have a blast.

The movie is over. I feel compelled to go upstairs to have a look outside, you never know what mother nature will throw at you, especially here in Ottawa. Sure enough, she decided to throw me the worst at the worst time. Normally, my Vette is covered in the garage. Tonight wasnt the case. Since we had squirrel problems where they were chewing apart our wires and such, i had to take my car out for the exterminator and repairman to have room to climb up and solve our problems

One day is all it took. I come outside tonight to see my car cover sheeted with about 3mm of ice. I get my keys, run outside, pull off the cover (which at this point probably weighs close to 100 pounds) and get my car into the garage as fast as i can. I just left the cover beside the house, i wont be getting it back till summertime, not that i care that much, because ill be renting storage now.

Here I am trying maintain something that cost me so much, yet fortune seems not to favor me.

I hope my luck gets better fast, if anything more happens to this thing ill probably have an ulcer :ugh

Geeez Poor Guy.....You ought to be standing on your porch watching your shinny black Corvette coupe sink in a flash flood and can do nothing about it like what happened to me.....freezing rain PLEASE !!!!!!!

Geeez Poor Guy.....You ought to be standing on your porch watching your shinny black Corvette coupe sink in a flash flood and can do nothing about it like what happened to me.....freezing rain PLEASE !!!!!!!

You know, Hotwing, we Corvette enthusiasts can certainly find it within ourselves to feel sympathy for both the mishap in which you lost your Corvette, and the unhelpful Ottawa weather VettePirate is experiencing. Mutual support in trying circumstances, large or small, is supposed to be one of the things that sets us apart as "car people."

-Patrick

You know, Hotwing, we Corvette enthusiasts can certainly find it within ourselves to feel sympathy for both the mishap in which you lost your Corvette, and the unhelpful Ottawa weather VettePirate is experiencing. Mutual support in trying circumstances, large or small, is supposed to be one of the things that sets us apart as "car people."

-Patrick

Amen to that. I'm with you there.

Weenies! As long as the interior is vacuumed and armour-alled, it looks fine to me. :w

That being said, I will no doubt be struck by 10" of snow covered with a sheet of frozen rain tonight. :ugh I have Old Yeller ('74 Jeep Wagoneer) gassed up and ready to roll just in case...;)

Amen to that. I'm with you there.

I have to agree. The support and understanding I got from this Forum when my engine dropped a valve in Kansas on the way to Cruisefest 2005 was superlative. Good group of people here. :upthumbs

Rick
:gap

Hotwing, I have to say that I'm not understaning where your sarcasm is coming from, here. All VettePirate wanted to do with this thread is tell us about a particular bad weather day, and an experience he had involving his Corvette on that bad weather day.

Why is that a source for scorn and derision? My own Z06 has been in the garage since the middle of December because of two major blizzard events here in Colorado, so I can certainly sympathize with anyone who's experiecing weather issues this winter that keep them from enjoying their Corvettes. I think most of the people who've contributed to VettePirate's thread can sympathize with VettePirate. If you can't share that sympathy, that's fine- no one is going to force you to express a sentiment you aren't honestly feeling, so it's your call.

But why does the sentiment you offer up have to be sarcasm instead? I'm not understanding that, and it's bothering me that you're using that sentiment to pick on another CAC member.

-Patrick

I drove the Vette to work today, in the rain. It has now turned to snow.

The things I do to get out of work early!!!!

rubber room

Patrick, in keeping this in perspective and totally light hearted, let me share a few "incidents" or ..... "A Day In the Life of a Daily Driver Vette" ... in "the city".

:) this was with my 65 ...

Fresh coat of paint, all hand rubbed out lacquer and it's a nice summer day. The sky goes black and the hail starts popping. Buddy and I put the top up and it's not a huge deal yet but the hail goes to golf balls. God must love Vettes cause I was near a stand of huge Sycamore trees and those tough leaves stopped any damage .. other cars had smashed windshields and body damage .....

Sitting in the car in our urban neighborhood .... on street parking only ... Neighbor with a huge Caddy Fleetwood starts bumping the Vettes bumper time after time cause ..... "you are in my spot"..... as I walked over to him to asking him what he was doing, he hit it again. Not much damage to the Vette, but my other neighbors (two local cops), witnessed this madness and one gave me "the nod". His Caddy wasn't "pretty anymore.

The "nice thief" ..... he had a way of breaking into the car every few weeks and would hit me for a few quarters or a jacket .... nothing big. The good news was that he was adept and had a light hand at pushing back the top and popping out the drivers side window to get in. He would leave it neatly on the top except for the windy night when he put it inside ........ I guess so it wouldn't get blown off and break. Go figure .... I couldn't even get mad at the guy.

Another day I noticed that two guys would follow me home; it was a "beater" street rod (65 Chevelle), primer and "ladder bars" ..... pretty hard to miss. They would then park and watch the car. I snuck up on them with a Polaroid and got a shot of the tags from behind (while they are eyeballing the Vette), and then walked over and took a face shot of the driver. The look on their faces was priceless! I leaned in and told the driver that if my dad "Precinct Captain" gets them first, they will be real lucky ... OK .... I lied ... he wasn't a Captain ..

;)

I moved.

HA! I didn't leave work early enough yesterday...we had rain all day until the second the sun went down at 4:59, by the time I walked the 10 minutes to my car in the parking garage it was a white-out. So I crept home at 20 mph, thank goodness it's only 2 miles and no hills. WARNING: Do not try this at home!

View attachment 12264

Old Yeller is making the trip to work today since all the rain/snow is now a sheet of ice.

This seemed like the appropriate place to share these. Some of you may have seen these in the past. They still make me cringe and thankful I have a garage to keep my beauty in. :W
attachment.php

And then there's this poor soul. I'm not certain but it looks like a Z06 parked behind the jeep to me. What a nightmare that would be! :cry I think I would turn around and go back in the bar if I came out and saw something like this.:ugh
attachment.php

And then there's this poor soul. I'm not certain but it looks like a Z06 parked behind the jeep to me. What a nightmare that would be! :cry I think I would turn around and go back in the bar if I came out and saw something like this.:ugh
attachment.php

Here's that same auto from a different angle:

attachment.php

We had a discussion about the photos in this thread last March.

There are some great photos here.

:w Jane Ann

I have on occassion been caught out away from the house by snow storms & showers (I thank the wonderfully accurate weather forcasters for each offense!), and once was forced to drive my '74 10 miles through 6" of the white stuff to work when my truck broke down. Strangely enough, each time while I cringed, it wasn't for my 'Vette so much as fear of the other idiots on the roads. With moderation applied to the gas pedal, I never got stuck and never even spun the tires unless I intentionally wished it. Yet so many of the local yahoos driving jacked up 4x4's were all over the friggin' place! And I mean NOT between the stripes like they should be. I hated to think what that over-sized undercontrolled metal monstrosity would do to my fiberglass friend. Thankfully, so far, so good - no mishaps. And the look on some of their faces was priceless! To this day I imagine they still can't figure out how a Corvette beat them off the line in 3"-4" of snow while they're in these 4x4's.;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom