Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Search for original owner of Baldwin Motion Vette?

M

Motion 1

This is a sincere request for help from some of you older members that are from the NY area back in the late '60's.

I have what I think is the first 1969 Corvette SS427 Phase III "GT", that Baldwin Motion ever made. It was Joel Rosen's personal car back in '69. It was a Monaco (aka= hugger) Orange w/black stripe and was on the cover of "Hi Perf. Cars" magazine back in Aug. of 1969.
It looked like it was red on the cover but the car that I have was actually Hugger orange originally. I talked to Marty Schor the magazine editor and he confirms that it was a orange car and that he changed the cover color to red because red cars always sells more magazines.

According to my gas tank sticker it has every option that is shown in the magazine article and the color is correct as described above.

I remember seeing it on the cover and reading the article back when it came out and even saved the magazine. A few years later (1972) a friend of mine in the used car business came up with this black car and I recognized it right off. Even though it had been repainted black with a gold stripe I knew what it was and I bought it from him.

It didn't have the datsun style headlights and in fact still had the factory headlights. According to the tank sticker, it was a original 435hp -TH.- 400, tri power, full optioned car sold by Baldwin Chev. (even shows it was a 435 hp on the console).

I have owned this car for a long time now. I love this car. It is fast and good looking. It only has 45,000 mi on it now and it is in need of repainting and a little body work on the right rear where a dumbass kid wasn't watching where he was going and bumped me in the back. I have the car stripped of paint and will be working on it to repaint it in the near future.

Here is a list of the things I can see that are the same as in the pictures in the Hi Perf Car's Magazine article dated Aug. & Nov. issues back in 1969.

> 1. It has the wire mesh in the side louvers
> 2. The alarm key is on the L front fender under the bumper.
> 3. The hood scoop is the same, but the front was filled in later, probably to keep water out.
> 4. Hood locks same location
> 5. Turbo Hydro 400
> 6. 427 ci with Alum high rise
> 7. Most important is the Tank sticker shows it sold new by Baldwin Chev.
> 8. Elect fuel pump under the right R fender.
> 9. Two Muntz, brand rear stereo speakers in back compartment lids that are painted black.
> 10. Tube side outlet headers with glass packs under the original factory stock side exhaust covers.
> 11. Slanted Back window is the same.
> 12. Both Side sport mirrors are the same. (off a Ford Mustang)
> 13. Car was Hugger Orange under the black w/Candy Gold stripe.
(This was repainted Black/gold when I bought it.)
> 14. All factory options on car are a exact match for car in Car's article.

> 15. Rear taillight body panel over the tag has "5" holes other than the factory emblems that were filled in with bondo when the car was repainted. Three are in line on top of two more centered under it. You can make out the factory Corvette letters pin holes which are much smaller and are also filled in as is the factory alarms (listed on the tank sticker) key lock location. The three top holes do match the 3 pin "SS427 '68 Impala" emblem mounting holes exactly.

> 16. There are 2 more filled in holes for the "GT" emblem under the SS427 and as best as I can determine, they were off a 67 GTO grill emblem. The cross bar underneath the three stock GTO letters was cut and the "O" was discarded. That left only one mounting pin to attach the G and T and there are 2 more filled in holes in the back panel under that confirm that fact.

17. Wheels were the same as in the article. Complete with the center cap emblems.
18. Flared wheel wells.
19. Side lovers turned around, with wire mesh behind them.
20. Last but not least was the Flipup gas cap that was molded in flush, so that the flange would not show where it was mounted to the original tank lid hole of the Corvette.

I would love to find out any information on this cars original owner's and/ or any pictures of it back when it was new. I was wondering if perhaps any of you on this forum have any pic of it from back when new or the name of the original owner? S/N is S710137.

I have been in contact with Joel Rosen but he is not going to give me any leads. I fully intend to have Joel, document it. He wants $1500 just to search his records with no gurantee that he can find out if it was one of his old cars or not. Now I don't mind spending the money but can't afford to waste hard earned money either. He tells me that there are a lot of clones out there trying to get him to document a fake so that they can make money off him. I just need one or two more items of proof, to show him that it was his old car first. The dmv records no longer exist so I am at a deadend unless one of you can remember anything?

I am just a working man and not a rich guy like most of the car collectors so I have to do all restoration work myself. I am a former body shop owner so that part is not hard for me to do. It's more like a labor of love for me. And no matter what, I will never sell this car. I am not trying to do this for the money. I want to show it at car shows around the country. I am almost 60 and this year I will be semi retired so that I can now devote the time to do it right.

If you would like to see the car you can go to

---> http://home.swbell.net/vette-65/69_motion.html <---

Thanks again for your time.

Larry Clain
Tulsa OK.

PS: Please email me if you can or if you perfer you may call me at 918-481-8844 (home) (Please try this number first..! - If No answer after the 3th ring hang up and call) 918-663-4646 cell #. I perfer you call the house as I can hear you better on that phone. I am up late so don't feel bad about calling late.

Motion 1 said:
(Joel)... wants $1500 just to search his records with no gurantee that he can find out if it was one of his old cars or not.
Yeah, he doesn't come cheap, eh? He was probably one of the first to charge for the service of researching his cars, but he should be able to help if it is a real one (which it sounds like it is). I'd love to see it. :cool

Good luck. :upthumbs

Motion 1,

I see you have the cover of the Hi-Performance CARS issue, but used the Speed & Supercar article on your site.

In case you don't still have the Aug/69 Hi-Performance CARS article, here it is. Great car. Good for you.

1970Corvette-GT-427.jpg

1970Corvette-GT-427-p1.jpg

1970Corvette-GT-427-p2.jpg

1970Corvette-GT-427-p3.jpg

1970Corvette-GT-427-p4.jpg

1970Corvette-GT-427-p5.jpg

Motion, i think it's great you possibly have a true piece of history. i get excited just reading of the research you've done. and being a regular working guy,i feel, there's more of a chance seeing the car in the real world,not locked away.
it saddens me tho that the motion people won't authenticate just for the joys of preservation. i hate when someone feels they have to make a buck ,just cause you do.

my opinion

robin johnson

Thanks I was lazy when I put the web page together. I just copied it off mad mikes site since the pic are all about the same. My scaner was down and I was in a hurry to get it finished quick.

To answer your question: yes I have the article. in fact I have two issues. My original is signed by Joel himself. Got to meet him at supercar convention last Labor day.

I wonder what OIL Company featured the car in its advertizing campain?

I will pay a reward for any info that proves out. I just wish I could find someone that knows who or how it wound up in Dallas tx. painted Black with the gold stripes.

If I had bought it new I dam sure would have let someone know about it.

So if anybody has a name please let me know.

Pantera

Motion

I remember that car from Westhampton Drag Strip on Long Island and National Speedway and seeing it at Motion on Sunrise Highway in either 1969 0r 1970 if memory serves me correct it ran as a NHRA B/MP I dont remember the AHRA class, with times in the high 11's which was quite respectable times back then but not for that class. Anyhow thats what I remember but that was a long time ago. I was under the impression that Dennis Ferrara bought the car and took it to Florida with him anyhow $1500 seems like an over kill amount for the research with no guarantee but back then I dont remember New York as being a title state just registration. LOL with getting anything from Joel Rosen from my dealings with him at Motion in the late 60's if you asked him what time it was he would try to charge you for the answer.:eyerole

I am not going to argue the fact that $1500 is a substantial amount of money for some research. However, if the research does prove this is a real Baldwin Motion car it would add quite a bit more to the value of the car than the money invested for the research. But, as was pointed out, if it proves not to be real, you are back where you started and $1500 lighter in the wallet.

I hope someone else can find a source of information for you.

how did this end up working out, anyways?

Battlesmurf said:
how did this end up working out, anyways?
Unfortunately, we may never know...

View Profile: Motion 1 Last Activity: 08-29-04 08:01 PM

It looks like Larry doesn't frequent here anymore... He did include contact info in his first post, if you've a mind to find out...

-Mac

ps: I just took a look through a link which Larry provided. It looks like he's still looking.

Tom,

If you have any pic or other info on the car from back then please let me know. I am in the swimming pool business and don't have time to drop in on each and every Vette forum that is on the web.

I am tired of trying to find Dennis Ferrara as he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. I am not so sure that he bought the car from Joel? Do you have any close info or were there when it happened?

I find it funny that not one person knows for sure just who bought the car from Joel and or where it went. I do know that it wound up in Dallas Tx. at Diamond Mtr co. in early 1972 painted black with twin gold stripes down the center and around the tail. That is as far as I can trace the car back.

Anybody that can help or has a pic will not be sorry they helped me get to the truth on this car.

Pantera
Tulsa OK

Mac said:
Unfortunately, we may never know...

View Profile: Motion 1 Last Activity: 08-29-04 08:01 PM

It looks like Larry doesn't frequent here anymore... He did include contact info in his first post, if you've a mind to find out...

-Mac

ps: I just took a look through a link which Larry provided. It looks like he's still looking.

Sorry Guys I am still around but really busy this time of year. Thanks to all that have dropped in to look.

If anybody has any info or needs to reach me try

pantera2@@swbell.net (Be sure to remove the second @ simbol first - getting kinda tired of spamers. )

:)

Or Larry at 918-698-3777

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom