Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Seat removal problem

99mallett

Corvette
'99 Red Coupe, '01 White Vert, '64 Red Vert
A buddy just moved up from a C4 to a '97 Coupe, and it needs a little TLC. I've helped him with some of the basics like programming the fobs, replacing the air dam, and a few other things. When he bought the car, the seller advised him that the driver's seat was inoperable, which is true. BUT...it's stuck in the full back position, and I mean STUCK. Normally, I can yank a seat out of a C5 (I have 2) in a couple of minutes...I've done it dozens of times.
Except, with it stuck in the full back position, there is no way to get at the rear nuts. I don't have large hands, which is nice for working in tight places, but I can't even begin to get anywhere near those nuts, and there's no way to reach in from the front either.

Any suggestions as to how I can help him get that seat out to fix it?

Seat stuck

Sorry to see than no one has responded with an suggestion.

You didn't say if it has electric seats or manual. If manual, I suspect that either there is something jammed in the seat track, or the track itself is bent. Sometimes the answer IS brute force.

If electric,then a different problem. Motor burned out, or electrical short perhaps. If you can get to the electrical connector on the side of the seat perhaps you can jump it from a direct 12V source.

Other than that, can't think of how you can move it forward, short of a "come-along" around the brake pedal.

Jay, we should have asked Paul while we were at CruiseFest...Maybe he has an idea. Funny, my first thought was a come-along. :D

Start at the begining. Is there power going to the seat's motors? Does the seat still go up & down? If up & down still work, can you get your hand back the 4 seat bolts (ones that hold the seat to the frame 13mm heads) and remove the seat with the track still bolted down (you'll need a flat ratcheting wrench or do it the slow way with a combo wrench). If it can't be done this way only other way is to remove the leather (cut the hog rings), padding and then get to the rear bolts.

Seat stuck

One other thought... when I took my driver's seat out to do some work I found 5-6 coins under the seat.

Is it possible that you have a coin stuck in the seat track? Can you reach under the seat from the front and feel along the seat track for objects?

Sometimes (most times) the simple answer is the correct one.

Ken Edney
Chandler, AZ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom