Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

sending computer to TPIS

regalniz

Corvette
94 Polo Green Convertible w/auto
has anybody sent out their computer to TPIS for some adjustments? im thinking about sending mine out. opinions?

thats the thing. its not stock. headers, mufflers, and throttle body. 3.75s are going in soon.

i would call that stock still. motor never been cracked open. i agree i wouldn't send it away for the money unless i had a serious setup. intake/BIG cam/heavy ported aftermarket heads.

a guy i met from the forums in MD had a 6 speed L98 car running 10.9's on the stock computer. not sure about the chip but i really wouldn't be surprised if it was a stock chip. i forgot to pick his brain tonight but i'm sure i'll see him again since i am buying some parts off him soon :)

There's no doubt a car could run in the high 10's on the stock ECM but no way with a stock PROM/programming.

What headers do you have ? Long tubes or shorties ?
IMO considering the upcoming gear change I would see if you can find a used Hypertech power programmer cheap. You'll be able to adjust for that plus do a couple other things as well.
I used mine to adjust for a gear change and lower the temp the fans come on w/ the 160 degree thermostat, however, I'm still running the stock tuning on my 94.

i forgot to mention i have the programmer installed. i heard the programmer will only let you adjust the gear ratio to 3.70. i bought 3.75s. not a big deal but still. im gonna call and see what exactly they do. i dont like how the hypertech only kicks in at WOT. ie shift points and shift frimness.

TPIS customer service really sux! Just check out the search feature on TPIS headers over on the corvetteforum. In my opinion, one would really be setting themselves up for service nightmare! They just simply seem to act as though they really don't care whether you are satisfied with their workmanship or not. I bought their $700 stainless steel, long tube, ceramic coated headers and really did not expected to have to spend a day of grinding to clear passage ways, align bolt holes and dimple tubes that were not perpendicular to flange for bolt head clearance. Their reaction?....."So?" ....I guess live and learn, and of course, pass on the bad word to others.

Ummmmm

How's the car run? Is it running rich? Idle okay? Driveability okay?

If no of these are an issue, then your stock chip is within its adjustment authority and any ECM work won't get you anything.

BTW, I liked TPIS; quite a lot. My long tubes fit quite well, except for the #7 plug on these straight plug heads. I change a lot of boots due to arcing, even after having a dent put in the tube for more clearance. I also bought some Bosch platinums from them, which I have since discarded as a poor choice.

Yeah, the number seven tube can be a ***** if you're running straight plug heads.
WhalePirot said:
I change a lot of boots due to arcing

I find these to be very helpful Mike. As a matter-of-fact, I wholeheartedly endorse them! :upthumbs
insultherm_SPBI_insertphoto.jpg
insultherm_8packboots.jpg

By the way, I ditched the Bosch Platinum plugs too. ;)

Whoo. Don't get me started on Bosch Platinums... I just took mine out (<10k miles) and they're SCARY looking. Fortunately the +4's have a lifetime replacement, so I'll get them replaced and throw the new ones on eBay.

Ken, I'm having trouble reading the box in your post. Does it say "Insultherm"? Where might one get these?

[RICHR]

Yeah Rich, the manufacturer is Insultherm. I got mine through the Eastwood Company. You can shop around, but I don't think Insultherm has a site of their own; they just sell through other outlets. Here's what a Google search turns up: results of search. :CAC

_ken :w

Insul did naught for my arcing

I paid dearly for the Taylor insulating boots. They did nothing for my arcing on number 7 , but look cool.

Seems dead air space works better, with FREQUENT boot changes, as they break down from the heat.

Aren't you guys glad to have someone throw bucks at an issue and find it doesn't work? :s

TPIS 3" exhaust

As a follow-on, my 3" system ALSO touches the "+3" pan and the tranny tunnel. Not too cool, when the smoke from the car is toasted fiberglass. Not cool at all. Now, just try and py the whole system over a bit for clearance......RIGHT!

Wrapping and spraying the headers and Y-pipe, with ThermoTech, did nothing except ensure all those parts stay hot a lot longer. Quite a different outcome than my last header wrap!

Lots of folks send their PCM to Ed Wright for programming.
The best way to program is throw the car on a dyno and re-program. You are really not even close to needing a re-program with the simple bolt on parts you have.

Mad-Mic said:

a guy i met from the forums in MD had a 6 speed L98 car running 10.9's on the stock computer. not sure about the chip but i really wouldn't be surprised if it was a stock chip. i forgot to pick his brain tonight but i'm sure i'll see him again since i am buying some parts off him soon :)

If that is Phil, (goes by Wheelsup pn some forums) he has a TPIS Prom in his car, but also had heads/cam work done as well as a miniram

Well, judging from the date of your original post, I'll assume you've already made a decision. I've never used them but for future reference, the guys below have an excellent reputation:

http://www.pcmforless.com/

actually i hadnt made a decision yet. but i gotta tell ya these guys look good. the fact that they send you the program so you dont have to be without a car is the part that sold me.

I've had good experiences in the past with TPiS, and as I was searching for something yesterday I came across the following recommendation regarding TPiS services:
TPIS's Mini-Ram is a great piece. It is much easier to install and work around than the Super Ram, and is the perfect choice for an all out application. Even on milder applications you do not take as bad a torque punishment as often believed. This belief is usually stated by those without any hand on experience. It is in some ways more streetable than the high torque systems. It performs better on street tires, where high torque induction are actually more dependent on excellent traction. The Mini-Ram make power in motion. and camshafts however are another story. Not that the Cam profiles are bad, they are actually quite good. My one warning is; Where you should degree any cam, you must degree a TPIS cam. I have installed many TPIS camshafts, and have found them to be very rarely less than 5° off. I have found them as far as 9° off.

This was from a Hoover 1993 LT1 Corvette Full weight Daily Driver, No Boost, No Juice 10.648 ET, 128.10 MPH in the 1/4 mile!!

He says he's going to get it in the eights!

_ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom