Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Service ABS, TC, ABS warnings

Hubcap

Corvette
2001 Coupe
I've been getting these intermittent DIC alerts for awhile and always just reset the DIC as I assumed they're a result of grounding issues. Now, the alerts come on every time I start the car and the HVAC system including outside temp will not work. I can still do a reset get them out of the DIC, but no HVAC and the steering requires slightly more effort. However, sometimes I will feel a slight jolt when hitting the brakes, the steering effort returns to normal and the HVAC comes on. Anybody know what's going on here?

Have you measured the actual battery voltage when the engine is NOT running, before you start the car? That is info I want.

Also, pull your DIC trouble codes so we know exactly what the modules are throwing. Do it after an engine start and before you turn it off. I want you to include any H , C, or H C designations also.

After that, we can discuss maybe splitting the steering and HVAC out to separate Threads. More than one basic issue in a Thread becomes too difficult and also masks your other problems to other experienced members since they were not in the Thread title. Mr. Sam

Battery voltage is 14.2, after start it is 13.4
CODES: P0135 C,, P0151 C,, P1571 HC,, P1652 HC,, P1689 HC
B0432 HC,, B2527 H
U1040 HC,, U1160 H,, U1064 H
B2264, B2282, B2283, B25284, B2285, ALL H

Thanks for the help

Never seen voltages that high but that would not be an issue. They are normally that high when the alternator is charging correctly.

I just focused on the C codes. You have only 3 that are related to your main issue. These 3 are all DIRECTLY tied to TC: U1040, P1571, and P1689. The U code is loss of communication with TCS. Can't get deeper into it right now but will look at the FSM a little later.

Will define the other codes a little later but they are O2 related, rear defogger etc. on the C codes. did not look at anything with just an H yet.

In the interim, I would now like you to clear all the codes and then go for a drive with TC on. BEFORE you turn the engine off pull your codes again and post them.

The 14.2v is probably surface charge. It can make a bad battery look good.

We're camping and I'm using the phone or I would post a link.

Cleared all the codes and drove the car.
Codes after drive:
PCM: P1571 H,, P1652 H,, P1689 H
BCM: B0432 H C
SDM: U1040 H C

The situation involving increased steering effort and no HVAC was present on start up, but cleared during the drive.

The battery is NEW last August and tested at 14.2 at installation, wasn't driven during the winter, but was on a battery tender.

Thanks for the help

This is what you have now:

P1571 is a PCM TC torque signal out of range

P1689 is a EBCM TC torque signal out of range

P1652 is a PCM powertrain induced chassis pitch output circuit (this is related to RTD and the ESC module, I can assume you have RTD) This would have no effect on TC and can be dealt with later. Who knows, if you clear up the TC issue this might go away even though they are NOT directly related (ground/connector, etc.)

U1040 is loss of serial bus communication with the EBCM

B0432 is a rear defogger relay issue. Check fuse 18 in the I/P fuse box, if good, test the relay or swap it for another similar one to see if that prevents the code. If not start, a separate Thread and I'll work on it with you.

For 1571 and 1689 we will need to look at the grounds for the EBCM and the PCM as a start.
For 1040 you need to make sure the connectors at the EBCM are good as a start.

I can provide more details and info based on if you want to try and figure this out or at least better your knowledge for someone there to target the above.

Also, I recommend you record your codes every time you finish a drive and then clear them. Remember to pull them BEFORE you turn the ignition OFF. I would like to know if any new ones show up. If it is a daily driver you can just do it once a day.

Talk with you later, Mr. Sam

PS: How many miles on your car? Have you ever replaced the ignition switch?

Last edited:
Same issue...

You still out there dadaroo?

I have the same issue as above in this thread... with the same code errors.
You mentioned you can provide some details to help figure it out.
I'm interested. Any help is appreciated.
D

Problem solved

My issue (similar to the problems described in this thread) was traced to the ignition switch. Mechanic tested the power and grounds at the ride control module. Found good ground but no ignition voltage on the circuit. The fuse was ok. The same circuit fuse also feeds the HVAC system and the O2 sensor heater circuit which explains those additional error codes. At this point, the HVAC system would not even come on.
Inspection of the ignition switch harness showed no output on ignition circuit #3. Replaced switch for $206 + labor.
All systems go.
Note: Plastic parts on a car this old are brittle. Be careful removing the dashboard pieces to avoid breaking tabs or cracking the housing.
Hope this helps someone else. :cool
D

Well, today I took on the task of removing my EBCM. It was definitely a pain in the rear. I got it off and watched multiple interweb videos on how to repair it. I opened it up and resoldered the points that connect the relay. I siliconed it up and reassembled. I installed it back on the car about an hour later. I reconnected the battery and started her up. No codes. Just a history code for EBCM. Cleared that and no more codes. My traction control works again. For the abs codes and the rest, watch some vids and try it your self. If it doesn't work, well, it wasn't working to start with. Good luck.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom