Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shift lock cable from transmission to steering column to long

8kgold69

Corvette
1969 R.Gold CV. Original 8K miles. Pilot 1970 LT1
Working on a 1971 CV base 350 w/automatic, numbers matching engine & transmission. Ordered a new shifter lock cable, P/N 53309, from one of the major aftermarket parts suppliers. Made sure the part was for an earlier C3 car w/automatic. However, when I installed the part, connected it to the transmission first, then ran the other end through the steering column retaining bracket and tried to connect the cable to the pin on the shift lever, the cable is about 1/2" longer than needed. No adjustment on the cable. Any ideas as to what I can do to make it work? Anybody run into this before? Appreciate any response with help.

call the vendor and see what they say...
perhaps it is meant to be trimmed...
is it possible the slack can be taken up on the tranny side or no????

Thanks for responses. Actually there is no adjustment. Each end of the cable is crimped with the eye connectors and the outside shield is clipped into the brackets, one into the trans bracket and one into steering column bracket. When I talk to the vendor all they say is "That's the right cable for that model year with auto trans."

1/2" too long doesn't seem very much. Just make the loop a little wider?

Was working on the car today and realized that the bracket that the cable connects to and the steering column bolts to through the firewall, has an adjustment. Made the adjustment, problem fix. Thanks for every ones help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom