Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shifter and console finish coating?

So Bay Vetter

Corvette
1996 Collector LT4
I'm sure this has been frustrating for many of us; The shifter and console plates on my 96 are finished with some sort of rubber-like coating (almost like tool dip!). Is there some sort of spray coating to re-finish these pieces without getting bent over on the price to replace them?:confused;shrug

I was also wondering how to refinish mine too! I noticed no one has replied to you. Is there anyone that knows what to do or how to refinish this coating? Thanks in advance.

I use SEM Vinyl paint!! It'll have to be mixed,and you'll have to get All the Old finish off,otherwise the old finish will wrinkle at every scratch!! It will take Many,Many coats to make it the right texture!!:thumbYes,It's pain in the WahZoo!!:D:D:D

Thanks to all that replied! Nothing is ever easy on these cars.

Here's a link that I found to refinishing those types of parts. They use SEM, the same stuff Junkie says to use.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtips/viewsubtopic.php?SubTopicID=114&TopicID=2
Thats a good wright up Tom!! I don't use all the same products that guy uses,but I use products that do basically the same things!!I use allot of Polly Cracker around here,It strips Silicone like the Girls sheds clothes down at Mr.Tee's!!!:boogieAnd I buy my vinyl paint by the Qt and spray it with a gun!!:thumb

Here's a link that I found to refinishing those types of parts. They use SEM, the same stuff Junkie says to use.

Thanks GMJunkie & Toms94! I went to the SEM sight to check out their stuff. Geeeze, I had no Idea it would be this involved! If I was in the resto business that would be the way to go but, for my 2 little dash panels I'd probably spend as much in materials as I would just picking up new parts.;shrug

I used Krylon paint same as the guy in this thread, but then again I'm a cheap *&^^%#@# .:D

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1696371&highlight=console

I'm certain my '95 will never see NCRS. It does look really close to the original finish. However, it does not have the same feel to it.

Krylon paint has a few advantages.

1. Easy to repair
2. Low cost
3. Hard finish.
4. If it gets scratched just spray it again.
5. It seems to hold up better than the rubber coatings in high heat situations. ( Ga. summers with the top down.)

6. If I get silicon on it, it doesn't turn into goo.

I have about 20 bucks and many hours invested in my console, and no one but the hard core C4 guys know any difference.

If it were a '69 427 car I may go a different route. For me, my wallet and my kids college fund, Krylon is close enough.
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom