Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shifter boot broke loose

bz1mcr

Corvette
1996 coupe red LT4
The leather shifter boot in my '96 six-speed is loose at the console. It appears the fastening screws are still with the boot but the plastic they screwd into from below has broken off from the console cover. This is the center console cover around the shifter.

How do you take the the console cover off? Is a replacement available from anyone besides my local Chev. dealer?

shifter boot

It's easier to take off the console lid but not fully necessary. Carefull of the wiring at the lid's rear. It stores OK on the rear carpet.
Then remove the carpet-like material inside the console. The screws should be visible at the rear of the shifter cover. Once the screws are out, pull the cover rearward and up to disengage it. Take note how it comes out so all the slots and pins can be refit upon reinstallation. I have an auto so am not sure what you'll encounter. The auto has the gear indicator to re-engage.
Good luck.
PS when reinstalling the console cover, it's 'notched' at a couple of points. Engage them correctly or it binds just a little.
PSPS Try this place for 'used' parts (yeah it's a junkyard but reputable) www.contemporarycorvette.com

bx1mcr, if the rubberized coating on your console cover is peeling, now may be a good time to replace it as I believe the boot comes attached to the new console. The cheapest one I could find was $230.00, but I would have to search for the vendor. Forgot to bookmark. Mine had only a few small peeled areas so I didn't take the plunge.

Thanks JMCCloud

It will be a few days before I get to give it a try. I'll send another message after that.

thanks again JMCCloud

I got the shifter boot cover off. Your directions were right on except 1) there was also a screw under one of the cup holder rubber covers and 2) removing the console cover was not optional. A tab of the boot cover went under the console cover so you could not move it up and back to release it.

Now I need to get the shifter knob off so I can reattach the boot and cover.

How do you get the shifter knob off? It's the production sewn leather with the six speed diagram in the center of the top.

Edit 8/26 Shifter knob was removed with help from another thread I posted. Job was completed successfully. Thanks all.

Shifter knob

bz1mcr,
Sorry to have missed the screw under the cup holder (mine's missing, or was until I added it - thanks)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom