Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shifter Knob Removal?

Pop off the cap that shows the shift pattern using a small screwdriver. Under the cap you'll see a metal wedge that needs to be removed. Its a real b%^ch to get out. Grip the wedge with visegrips and pull straight up while wiggling it from side to side. You might have to actually straddle the seats and put a screwdriver in the crotch of the grips to get enough power to pull the wedge out. After you get the wedge out you can just unscrew the shift knob.

To reinstall reverse the above procedure. Screw the knob back on until it is tigh, then back off until it is aligned properly and then drive the wedge back in. Replace the shift pattern cap.

Good luck

Thanks

Thanks FX GS. I'll let you know how it goes after I give it a try tomorrow.

Shift knob removed!

Thanks again FX GS. Your information was the key to success.

I could not get vicegrips to do the job, and they were marking up the wedge each time they slipped off. So, I made a simple pull hammer from 3/8 threaded rod , a piece of 1/2 inch pipe and an adaptor made to get under the cap of the wedge. Three taps and out it came.

This forum is a great resource. It seems everything I attempt on the Vette requires special knowledge and/or tools.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom