Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Shock Absorbers:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
;helpHey guys and gals,

I need to replace the 28 years old shocks that's still on my car. I've been reading some old threads and I see some have recommended KYB's, KYB GR-2's, and the Delco "Reactek" shocks.
As for as the driving I will be doing, no track or racing. Just cruising and low riding. I want something smooth and quite. You know like a brand new Vette. :)
What would be some of yall recommendations and why?
I am also going to replace the suspension bushings and coil springs. I understand that the rubber is actually better to go with over the polyurethane for what ever reason.
Any help would be a great help.

Stock parts work for me.

Replaced my shocks with original equiptment Delco's Nov 30, 2001 and had ball joints and new rubber bushings installed Dec 19, 2001.
My cars a daily driver so that was my choice, and the shocks come with a lifetime warranty. PG.

The springs is really just a thought for now. They are as old as the rest of the car. Why does anyone replace the springs? Old, seems to be sagging??

I run Bilsteins on all my vehicles. My vette, Tahoe, hell, I'd run them on my Harley if they made them. You can get a set of 4 for about $300. Not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but you'll like them.....a lot!

Check out Vettebrakes.They are an advertiser here on the CAC.They will have a shock and spring package that will work great together.

I run Bilsteins on all my vehicles. My vette, Tahoe, hell, I'd run them on my Harley if they made them. You can get a set of 4 for about $300. Not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but you'll like them.....a lot!

:thumb

I went with KYB GR2's. Haven't put them on yet, but I figure they are so cheap if I don't like em, will go with Bilsteins. My other suspension parts are pretty much stock, gm springs, a-arms, etc. But, I opted for the poly bushings for their durability. I had installed the red ones in my other car, Z28, and they are great, except of course for that squeek over bumps. It gets worse when it's cold out. Hopefully the black ones impregnated with graphite will help with that. If u don't want to spend the $300, u can get the GR2's for less than $100 and the regular KYB's for around $150.

I replaced my shocks about 5 years ago and I went with Delco Reatecs because they are a service replacement for the originals. They are close in appearance and I am satisfied with their performance. My car is a pleasure driver so track performance was not an issue. I also replaced the bushings with rubber bushings. I did so because I heard that the poly bushings squeaeked. Judging by ed 1970 I made the right choice. Handling and driving comfort improved remarkably.

I installed KYB gas shocks in 1983 (two engines ago).

They're still in there and seem to work great.

I am also going to replace the suspension bushings and coil springs. I understand that the rubber is actually better to go with over the polyurethane for what ever reason.
Any help would be a great help.

I'm in the process of replacing my springs due to sag after many years. As to poly parts, I'd say OK to sway bar links and pivot points. However after putting polys on a friend's '66 rdstr (427-425) and riding in it, I'd recommend against it due to the degradation in ride qualities. Great handling but rides like a big truck and since they didn't have the graphite impregnated ones when we did his, they squeak.

I've used the KYB white in the past. I was looking for a smoother ride on my driver, so this time I put on the KYB G-2s. They are great, nice smooth ride and good handling. For the price I think they are great.

Just my 2ct. worth.

Gary

SAVE the WAVE

are the gas filled better shocks? Tighter less, less body roll?
I need new shocks and front springs as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom