Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shop fire - car is toast

I gotta tell ya, I looked at the pics before I read the entry, and I thought it was a total loss. Thank goodness you were able to salvage a good portion of what you had in there, and thankfully, noone was injured. My heart goes out to you and your mechanic. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I were in either of your shoes. I hope everything works out for both of you. -John

The 34 Coupe in this picture was a 10 years effort for Randy before he took it in for paint. The paint shop caught on fire when it was in the process of being painted and the coupe was almost destroyed. It took him more time to complete the project, but it looks Great now!

I'm sure your Corvette will look Awesome when you Git-R-Done! :upthumbs

4gglyzr.jpg

I can't even begin to imagine how I'd feel if I were in your shoes - but you seem to have the best attitude... which is acceptance, and determination to move forward. And your concern for your mechanic and friend says your heart's in the right place too!

Good luck to you as you work to bring her back. Take pix and please keep us posted.

:w Jane Ann

I can't offer anything new, but JA has expressed exactly how I feel. My regrets for your "pain and suffering", but luckily, no human loss or injuries.

"Phoenix" is a great name for your baby. Looking forward to hearing more regarding insurance and recovery/rebuild. Sorry I can't offer more on the technical side at this time, but I agree the interior should be disassembled and that dash checked out, as well as the fuel tank, hoses and all of the wiring-front to rear. Good luck in your endeavor.

Best,

Rick
:gap

... and after it's all said and done and your back on the road..a good name for your Corvette should be the..Phoenix".

I'm sure it will rise again.

VNV
Phoenix...I LOVE it! For the two years I've owned the car, I've been searching for a gender neutral name for "her". I think you hit on it.
Met with the insurance adjuster today. He could only do a cursory assessment because of all the debris in the way. Once the roof of the building is secured and we can pull it out, he'll go over it thoroughly. He indicated that he didn't see any evidence of any seriouis fiberglass damage. That's real good news! The rebuilt engine is going back to the machine shop for a once-over. It was covered in plastic in the corner of the shop and wasn't affected by the heat (i.e., it didn't get shrink wrapped). There were a couple of small holes in the plastic and a little bit of water got in, but I don't anticipate any major problems.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words and support.
Regards,
Jeff & "Phoenix"

PHOENIX

....it fits on a license plate! Grab it if it's available! :D

Looking forward to hearing more regarding insurance and recovery/rebuild.

VNV
Phoenix...I LOVE it! For the two years I've owned the car, I've been searching for a gender neutral name for "her". I think you hit on it.
Met with the insurance adjuster today. He could only do a cursory assessment because of all the debris in the way. Once the roof of the building is secured and we can pull it out, he'll go over it thoroughly. He indicated that he didn't see any evidence of any seriouis fiberglass damage. That's real good news! The rebuilt engine is going back to the machine shop for a once-over. It was covered in plastic in the corner of the shop and wasn't affected by the heat (i.e., it didn't get shrink wrapped). There were a couple of small holes in the plastic and a little bit of water got in, but I don't anticipate any major problems.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words and support.
Regards,
Jeff & "Phoenix"Today 05:35 PM

Heh Jeff

As Evolution1980 stated..Grab that plate name now while you can.

Also..I'm sure all of us here would like to find out how good your Insurance co is. Please..keep us posted on the progression of the claim. I myself will soon be looking for a new insurance carrier.

Your loss will help us all in regards to seeing just how good your insurance company really is. In fact..I would mention to your insurance carrier and or claims adjuster that you have posted the story of your loss and the insurance follow thru on this forum.

Who knows ..it might help you if they understand that 10 Bazillion Corvette owners are following your claim on the internet. Could mean alot more business for them and a faster hassle free settelment for you.

Hang in there and keep us posted ..
:beer

Just got off the phone with the owner of the building. Apparently there's some tension between him and my mechanic, who rents the place. I have a good relationship with both of them and it looks like I'll be serving as a liaison to try to keep the lines of communication open, at least until the roof is stabilized so that I can get Phoenix out of there. Once the car is out, they can take off the gloves and and get bloody. There was some reference to lawyers getting involved, and I need to free the car and get out of the way before I get screwed in the process. Why can't we all just be friends??
Jeff

Terrible !Vetts are living breathin'things with feeling.But yet she will rise from the ashes in time as her spirit has not been damaged.

Jeff
I just saw your thread. That really sucks but at least no one was hurt which is most important and after that the car wasn't totally destroyed so you have something to work with at least. It will just take time (and $$$) to get her back to where she should be.

You asked about dolly plans....... I have the Noland Adams dolly plans posted on my website tech articles page here:
http://69.253.166.197/corvettes/vettetech.html.
near the bottom of the page look for the file called:
BodyDolly.pdf
by: Noland Adams

good luck with everything!!

Barry,
My 'puter is getting tired and doesn't want to connect to the link for the dolly. And I'm too tired right now to coax it out of her. I'll check it in the AM. Sounds like the same one that Herb built for his '60. My situation is complicated by the fact that the body is still on the frame, but I see no reason why I couldn't use the basic concept and make some mods (beef it up) to account for that.
Thanks for your input.
Jeff

Damn... those pictures are just painful to look at and I can't imagine how you felt taking them. Good luck to you and Phoenix.

-Mac

Keep yer chin up, here's hoping the next chapter goes smoothly.

Jeff,

That's a major bummer about the car but you'll get it back to the way it should be. Great that no one was hurt and that the firefighters were able to keep it from destroying everything!

- Eric

So many of you have alluded to how it must feel when something like this happens. The short answer is, it stinks. But life goes on and I always try face adversity straight on and deal with whatever needs to be dealt with. It didn't take me too long to get over the saddness, and I suppose a bit of denial as well. Your collective support has certainly been a tremendous boost and I deeply appreciate your thoughts.
My wife, on the other hand, after looking at the photos said, "You've put so much time and energy into this. Do you really want to go through it again? It'll be that much longer until you're back on the road. Why don't you just pack it in and buy a new one?" She obviously doesn't get it! However, at some point in the future, I may take her advice, but the Phoenix will remain part of the equation.
You guys are great! Thanks again!
Jeff
PS - Since no one has chimed in about heat damage to fiberglass, I'll probably post on the 'other' forum to see if anyone has any thoughts over there. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Jeff

Elkins Parks sounded vagely familiar so I did a mapquest. You are only about an hour away from me.
If interested you could come down and talk to my body/painter who did my '65 last year. He may be able to help answer questions about what your body will need at this point, any damamge from heat, etc. He has been specializing in older (C1, C2, early C3) vettes for 30 years.
he also used to work for Bob Gold as bob's right hand man and body/paint guy so has a lot of experience.
It sounded like you had a great relationship with the guy who's shop the car was in but from the look of things it's going to be a while until he gets his business rolling again so if you are looking for options or even just someone to talk to for info my guy may be able to help if you are interested.
If you want to come down and see him one day or to call him on the phone to ask him questions let me know and I'll give you his info.

Barry

man than sucks. sorry to hear about your loss, but am glad something seems to be salvagable. for what it's worth i had a claim with hagerty (theft of an entire vehicle) in august and while it is never pleasant, my dealings with the insurnace company and all their representatives was nothing short of spectacular. while it was a long drawn out process due to the 30 day elimination period for a stolen car, everything about my dealings with hagerty was first class. they were very professional, understanding, and lived up to their end of the obligation.

i hope you have the same positive experience out of this terrible situation.

steve

man than sucks. sorry to hear about your loss, but am glad something seems to be salvagable. for what it's worth i had a claim with hagerty (theft of an entire vehicle) in august and while it is never pleasant, my dealings with the insurnace company and all their representatives was nothing short of spectacular. while it was a long drawn out process due to the 30 day elimination period for a stolen car, everything about my dealings with hagerty was first class. they were very professional, understanding, and lived up to their end of the obligation.

i hope you have the same positive experience out of this terrible situation.

steve

Steve
Most everything I've heard about them has been positive. I hope it works the same for me.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff
If interested you could come down and talk to my body/painter who did my '65 last year. He may be able to help answer questions about what your body will need at this point, any damamge from heat, etc. Barry

Barry,
I may take you up on the offer, but my first priority at this point is to get the car to safe haven. I have a few options up here that I need to check out as well. I know that you spoke very highly of the quality of your painter's work as well as his integrity throughout your epoch painting saga. If I hired him, however, I'm afraid I'd have to provide him with a supply of amphetamines to speed things along. :L :L BTW, my place is about an hour from the I-95/Rt. 896 interchange (without leaning on the pedal).
Cheers!
Jeff

Jeff,

Phoenix - in ancient mythology, a bird resembling an eagle that lived for 500 years and then burned itself to death on a pyre from whose ashes another phoenix arose.

If this isn't the be-all end-all classic example of a Phoenix then I don't know what is.

Phoenix she is! I love that name! Isn't it amazing how something new and wonderful came about from something heartbreaking and tragic? I would definitely find that license tag if at all possible!!!

Viet Nam Vett - Mark, Kudos to you! :m

:w Jane Ann

BTW:
If I hired him, however, I'm afraid I'd have to provide him with a supply of amphetamines to speed things along. :L :L
;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom