Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Shorty Headers

Tntruckguy

Corvette
1980 L-48 Red Coupe
OK guys and girls. You have not failed me in the past yet! I have a stock 1980 l-48, auto, 350. I would like to add some shorty headers in place of the stock exhaust manifolds. Any advise on brand names, ceramic coating, to do or not to do. Will any brand of Shorty fit?

Fire away my C3 friends! :bash

TNTRUCKGUY

Before I/we answer your question, allow me to answer your question with another.

Why ya want shorty headers versus regular/equal length?

Before I/we answer your question, allow me to answer your question with another.

Why ya want shorty headers versus regular/equal length?

Good question! Maybe I should have asked......Anybody have ideas on a bolt up header/exhaust kit for an 1980 with a 350? I am certain I would need a different cross member. I do plan on pulling the motor and "beefing up a bit" and figured I would start with headers and exhaust. I guess shortys would give me the easy quick fix. Now fire away!!!;help

TNTRUCKGUY

Almost all of the long tubes should be bolt up, though they will require some changes to the exhaust to get them to match up to the headers. Here's my adventure using Dynomax ceramic coated headers.

There really is no point to shorty headers. They don't flow much, if any better, than the stock manifolds.

There shouldn't be much problem at all. You will have to scrap everything from the cat-forward. Every once in a while one of us might run into a minor bind on the steering box or something, but overall it's a pretty simple install.
You'll want to stick with the 1-5/8" primaries on the headers. Until you start getting a lot more air flow (by whatever means that is), the 1-3/4" will be a bit too big. Hooker and Hedman make headers that fit our cars in their stock form.
I suggest getting a pair through Jet-Hot and having them coated. The uncoated black headers get really nasty looking in a short amount of time and there's little you can do to prevent it.

Plus Jet Hot gives a lifetime warranty if the headers are new when they coat them. Plus it really reduces the underhood temp.

Plus Jet Hot gives a lifetime warranty if the headers are new when they coat them. Plus it really reduces the underhood temp.

Thanks for the advice! Do i need to get a different cross member?Someone in my hometown said I needed to change it out for duals. What should I expect running the exhaust underneath?? Too many questions but you guys are pros!!!

Thanks again, Tntruckguy

Please continue the advice, I will keep checking back. We have a Corvette expo next weekend in my hometown I thought about possibly buying something there.

Someone will have to confirm, but my understanding is that the earlier trans cross-members are a direct repacement. Mine came with single exhaust but they had not changed out the cutout yet in 77 so it had the holes for both.

Thanks for the advice! Do i need to get a different cross member? What should I expect running the exhaust underneath??
No, you don't need a different crossmember. The 1980 exhaust doesn't run through the transmission crossmember like earlier C3's. Look at your exhaust as it currently is. Does it run through the cross member? Nope!

I'm not on my computer right now, but when I'm back on it and if I remember, I'll post a pic of what the exhaust looks like from the underside.

As for what you expect running it underneath? Ummm...well it doesn't obstruct your view as much than if it was on top of the car. ;shrug :L
There's really nothing that will change. You'll have a slight bit of decreased clearance to the ground since they do hang a wee bit lower. There's been occasions where starting up steep/sharp inclines (i.e. a parking garage), they nicked just a hair. But nothing damaging. It sounds way worse than it actually is. And thankfully, it's very rare. The clearance shouldn't really be a concern.

First, note how the headers hang down and then go straight back. I'm running dual exhaust with no cat. Obviously, these are the uncoated headers. I never found a hi-temp that didn't eventually bubble and flake off. I'm sure there's one out there, I just never found it.
144563647_a846860530.jpg

Here are the ceramic coated headers (from Hooker, not JetHot :cry) You can also see that that really don't hang as low as it seems in the pic above.
144563598_4ee1e91e72.jpg

And here's the balance tube ("H-pipe") that from Summit Racing that I installed.
144563573_2452f6a4f0.jpg

I have more miscellaneous pictures of the headers and whatnot on my Flickr page.

thanks

First, note how the headers hang down and then go straight back. I'm running dual exhaust with no cat. Obviously, these are the uncoated headers. I never found a hi-temp that didn't eventually bubble and flake off. I'm sure there's one out there, I just never found it.
144563647_a846860530.jpg

Here are the ceramic coated headers (from Hooker, not JetHot :cry) You can also see that that really don't hang as low as it seems in the pic above.
144563598_4ee1e91e72.jpg

And here's the balance tube ("H-pipe") that from Summit Racing that I installed.
144563573_2452f6a4f0.jpg

I have more miscellaneous pictures of the headers and whatnot on my Flickr page.

thanks for the awesome pics. I think I got it from here. One more!!! Hot jet or Headman or Hooker?? Ceramic coated for sure ???

Thanks, Tntruckguy

Hot jet or Headman or Hooker?? Ceramic coated for sure ???
Hedman and Hooker are both brands that JetHot sells. There's probably little overall difference between the Hedman and the Hookers.
As for coating, yes, you definitely want it. It protects the headers from corrosion, looks better, and handles heat better.
Last time I checked, you could, for example, get JetHot's "Sterling" finish on a set of Hooker's for less than the cost of ceramic coated Hooker's from Summit Racing. (If I recall correctly, the "Sterling" finish is supposed to be a step above standard ceramic coating.) If I had to do it again, I'd go with the purchase from JetHot. But shop around and see what's out there.

I am going with the shorty headers, the Headman headers that are on the car run into the shift linkage, so i tossed them and the bent up shitty exhaust that was on the car from the muffler shop. Corvette Central has a nice 2-1/2" kit with headers. for $600.00

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom