Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shouldnt there be a piston there?

Here's a good starting point (plus the other 27 drawers full of a 40-year accumulation of top-quality larger/smaller and special tools); buy good tools and they'll serve you well and last forever:

pubimage.asp

pubimage.asp

:eek Wow, John, you've got a real nice set of tools there! And, what you say about buying good tools is probably the best thing. Pay the extra buck then, and hopefully you won't have to get another one of those (unless you loose it).

Tools seems like quite of an accumulation (sp?) thing. Which is good. Are there tools for, say, specifically a Chevy or Vette? Or are most mechanic tools universal in a sort of way?

Thanks! :D

Stallion said:
:eek Wow, John, you've got a real nice set of tools there! And, what you say about buying good tools is probably the best thing. Pay the extra buck then, and hopefully you won't have to get another one of those (unless you loose it).

Tools seems like quite of an accumulation (sp?) thing. Which is good. Are there tools for, say, specifically a Chevy or Vette? Or are most mechanic tools universal in a sort of way?

Thanks! :D

I dunno if there is that many vetter specific tools really, atleast tools that you would have to have that is... So far working on my c-4 I havn't really needed anything specific for this vehicle.. and I've done a trans rebuild and various suspension stuff.. I dunno of any that i would probably need..
Anyone run into any vette specific tools(that you would need or make a job alot easier)? mainly c-4, I honestly can't think of any

BlackNBlue95 said:
Anyone run into any vette specific tools(that you would need or make a job alot easier)? mainly c-4, I honestly can't think of any

Scan/programming tools with model specific modules, like ABS or BCM (Body control module) testing capability etc... Like a Tech I/II and so on are about the only thing I can think of.

Clutch spline alignment tools are necessary too, though Chevy only has a few V8 spline types.

I have had to fabricate an Optispark case cracker for the "inverse" torx nuts they use, but that's about it.

CYa!
Allen

Mako said:
Scan/programming tools with model specific modules, like ABS or BCM (Body control module) testing capability etc... Like a Tech I/II and so on are about the only thing I can think of.

Clutch spline alignment tools are necessary too, though Chevy only has a few V8 spline types.

I have had to fabricate an Optispark case cracker for the "inverse" torx nuts they use, but that's about it.

CYa!
Allen

I havn't had an opti out yet but inverse torx they make a tool for that.. are you talking about a way to seperate the casing or to get the bolts to turn out?just curious..

BlackNBlue95 said:
I haven't had an opti out yet but inverse torx they make a tool for that.. are you talking about a way to seperate the casing or to get the bolts to turn out?just curious..

The optispark case is held together by 4 inverse torx type screws. I don't have that tool, so I got a torx screw, double nutted it, and used the head of the screw to turn the screws holding the opti together.

Check out: http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/optisprk/optisprk.htm

CYa!
Allen

Mako said:
The optispark case is held together by 4 inverse torx type screws. I don't have that tool, so I got a torx screw, double nutted it, and used the head of the screw to turn the screws holding the opti together.

Check out: http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/optisprk/optisprk.htm

CYa!
Allen
Smooth... nice way to improvise... I'm thinking I'm going to have to take my opti out soon.. replace the cap and rotor on it.. and replace one of the vent tubes that some Jack A$$ did not clip back in the holder to keep it from rubbing on the PS pulley.. so it has a small hole it in.. this will be one of my next projects after I know my trans works.. which I hopefully will get that back in next weekend.. if Percision Industires ever gets me my Vigilante torque converter..
-Rick

BlackNBlue95 said:
Smooth... nice way to improvise... I'm thinking I'm going to have to take my opti out soon.. replace the cap and rotor on it.. and replace one of the vent tubes that some Jack A$$ did not clip back in the holder to keep it from rubbing on the PS pulley.. so it has a small hole it in.. this will be one of my next projects after I know my trans works.. which I hopefully will get that back in next weekend.. if Percision Industires ever gets me my Vigilante torque converter..
-Rick

Smooth, maybe - cheap? Definitely! :D

The opti isn't that big a whoop to get to on a NA car. On my car, it's buried under the SC pulley plus, and this is a big PLUS, I have a billet steel crank hub that you have to pull out half way to get the $#@! thing out :-/

Ahh, your going Pink! A4 guys I know say it's Da Bomb, and their timeslips back 'em up big time. Not a cheap gadget, but it really does work, congrats!

Mako

Whats up with the opti spark. I hear its a real PITA to work with and that its not all that great of a system.

Frank

sscam69 said:
Whats up with the opti spark. I hear its a real PITA to work with and that its not all that great of a system.

Frank

i think the idea was cool to use an optical pickup except for the obviouc problem that the get moisture build up ect. and their location.. also it's kinda lame that that decided to install a dist in a hard to access area when they could have implemented a DIS setup. doesn't make sense would have been cool if the opti was up on top and a few years prior. oh well.. either deal with it or buy an aftermarket DIS system.. I dunno which route I'll go when it comes time.. I think i make stick with the opti... i like tearing things apart..

This is an interesting thread. The last piston I saw go in a 350 was because of a valve float that hit the piston. Broke the valve head off which got crossways in the cylinder between the piston and the head which split the piston like a log splitter out to break out the block. Amazingly, the local machine shop salvaged it. I believe they installed a sleeve of some kind. Since this 350 was a 4-bolt main engine, it was definately worth salvaging. The beauty of that approach too is that the good cylinders didn't have to be oversized with new pistons added. The offending head was cracked, but everything else was salvaged. Over-reving is the usual cause of that type of problem. Those usually occur with a missed shift on a stick though.

As far as tools go, I prefer the SK for two basic reasons. First of all like Craftsman, they have a lifetime guarantee. The second reason is that the ratchets have a finer graduation on the ratchet mechanism. Those of you who have worked on Corvette know the value that can be in the small places you usually have to work in.

The only piece they don't warrant is the 1/2 to 3/8 adapter, so I get that from Sears. Some of the older Crafstmen ratchets do have some handy features though. On some of the older units, the reversing mechanism is a small lever in the ratchet end which is really handy to us. Those also have the socket release button on the ratchet which is really handy for those of us whose fingers aren't as nimble as they should be. It's really nice to have both in the small 1/4 in and 3/8 inch ratchets.

You really should have access to an engine puller and engine stand also to work on it. For those of us in Minnesota, though, the most important thing is a heated shop. One thing you can count on if you get set up though, is a lot of friends.

Good luck

Clark

hhhmmmmm I have never heard of SK tools.

Is that an acronym?

Frank

cdhorn said:
Hi:

Go to skhandtool.com

Clark

S&K are good tools though I've broken plenty probably more then craftsman.. but any tool can break thats just the way it is..
-Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom