Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Side Pipe Homework

B

billybob

First let me applogize for this being a long post, but as I have just basically answered this in an email with regards to my findings I thought this may help some others.

In this bit of research I didn't include Zip or Mid America as they only sell sides not hooker headers, as a FYI though, Zip has the cheapest price on the fiberglass sides, which when you show Ecklers they will match the price then beat it by 1% ;)

The summit stuff, that I looked at again didn't look complete as I'll show below

for 386 you get this
-------
Chevrolet: 1963-82 265-400 Corvette, 1 7/8 in. primary tubes, 4 in. collector, sidemount header kit

Hooker's Super Competition Sidemount headers deliver the most aggressive style and performance for your early Corvette. Sidemount headers are built from lightweight 18-gauge tubing and feature tubes that slip directly into the collector for a leak free seal. This kit includes two headers, premium header gaskets, and all necessary hardware.
-------
Basically headers only

add another 201 you get these

-------
These Hooker Side Tubes are required when installing side mount headers on your 'Vette. They run under the door sill and exit the exhaust in front of each rear tire. They're made from lightweight 18-gauge tubing and slip directly into the collector of the headers for a leak free seal.
-------

now if you want the mufflers another 135

-------
4 in. sidetube, slip-in, glasspack, muffler

For sidetube sound control, Hooker builds long lasting slip-in mufflers. These mufflers are easily removed for racing purposes and are available in a performance style glasspack. These mufflers produce a high level of sound control without restricting engine efficiency.
-------

add em all together for the side package you get this 722 giver er take a few $$$ and that's all in black add chrome and yer adding the cost up

Corvette Central has a package for about 700, but to me somehow looks incomplete, I hate when they don't disclose all information aka when you read this part of it

-------
Replaces stock components, or converts stock Corvettes to side exhaust. Complete kits. Replace your stock components or convert your standard exhaust to side pipes. Great sound-great look! Our 68-74 kits include aluminized steel pipes, fiberglass side exhaust covers (paint any color or silver to resemble factory look), and all necessary installation hardware
-------
Notice the lack of mention of headers, yet the pic associated with them show the headers

Yet for 1200 this is whats advertised
-------
Includes headers, gaskets, bolts and side tubes.

Hooker headers are available for both side mount exhaust and under-car exhaust applications. Side mount systems are complete with headers and side tubes. Slip-in mufflers can be ordered separately. Super Competition headers are designed to use with under-car exhaust systems. Both systems feature four-into-one styling. Applications are for any combination of air conditioning, power steering or brakes, and manual or automatic transmissions. Header sets include header gaskets, header bolts, and instructions. Some systems may not be legal for street use in some states - check state laws before installing.

Installation of headers on small block applications require the use of #323904 alternator bracket set.

Installation of headers on air conditioning equipped small block applications up to 1978 with long style compressors require the use of #323911 compressor bracket.

A.I.R. fittings for header tubes are available special order.

Oxygen sensor fittings in collector are available special order.
--------

Notice they mention Headers this time

Now Ecklers
for 949 you get this
---------
Painted Black Finish

Set Includes Headers, Side Tubes, Mufflers and Hardware

Decreases Back Pressure/Increases Horsepower

Also Available In Premium Chrome Finish (P/N 29410)

Hooker Small Block Sidemount Headers feature four-in-one styling which culminates into a 4" collector. The small block headers have 1 7/8" primary pipes. Hooker sidemounts fit any combination of air conditioning, power brakes or steering, and manual or automatic transmissions. For 63-68 small block applications, order P/N's 26752, 41064 (alternator brackets) and P/N 26753 air conditioning bracket (if so equipped)

Not legal for sale or use in California and many states which require A.I.R. fittings - please check state laws before ordering.
---------

Full disclosure a true complete package,

I'm running a 350 SB so these prices reflect my research but yours should vary slightly with regards to cost.

Most of the other packages I have seen don't include the mufflers, headers or the mounting hardware which priced individually make up more then the difference.

When they say buyer beware they really mean it

Hope this helps someone

Bill

Corvette Central has a package for about 700, but to me somehow looks incomplete, I hate when they don't disclose all information aka when you read this part of it ... Replaces stock components, or converts stock Corvettes to side exhaust. Complete kits. Replace your stock components or convert your standard exhaust to side pipes. Great sound-great look! Our 68-74 kits include aluminized steel pipes, fiberglass side exhaust covers (paint any color or silver to resemble factory look), and all necessary installation hardware ... Notice the lack of mention of headers, yet the pic associated with them show the headers

Billybob:
Are you referring to CC's pn 323114? If not please disregard. If so, those type side pipes (323114) are repro-retro to emulate a factory side pipe setup ... that factory setup did NOT use headers ... it used plain white wrapper ram's horn cast iron exhaust manifolds ... the side pipe is a long muffler affair that has an integral headpipe that extends to the manifold ... the long muffler portion that runs length of rocker panel has a shield/panel/cover made of paintable fiberglass (factory was metal). It would be nearly impossible to use anything but blockhugger (useless) headers with these side pipes ... they weren't intended for use w/ headers.

Summit has the best price for Hooker sidemounts ... use JCL's spirobaffles ($) for volume control http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/ ... many report Hookers mufflers are too restrictive.
JACK:gap

Jack,

Actually I was, thanks for pointing this fact out.

See even with my research its always better to have someone double check your homework ;)

What I was trying to accomplish tho was what I have seen with regards to current trends while looking for a side pipe conversion using hooker headers.

700 for a package that didnt include the headers seemed a bit steep regardless. :) Which I was trying to use as a price guide and a demonstration that not all "complete kits" are the same as other "complete kits" in the same price range.

I'll probably pick up a set of the spirals, more power is better :L

Bill

Bill:
Keep up with your homework ... it'll surely help you prevent mistakes & chart a clearer path to your goals ... and as the rest of us read ... it spurs us to think & we (me) either learn anew or relearn things that've become fuzzy. Your homework's a win-win for all. Ain't it great to have a site devoted to such discussion ... Thanks CACC!

Nice job Bill.
Hooker side pipes do look and sound cool. Just my opinion though. Do you know if they will bolt up to the vortec heads?

Norm.

ahh another kanadian :)

Norms72,

Honestly I would have to refer you to these guys

hooker@support.holley.com

as they own the products they would be in the best position to answer your question with more of a definative answer.

As you after the side pipes and headers .. this might help

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/ES/ESHHSCH/Sidemnt.html

give em a yell, they are generally more then eager to help.

Shop around aswell, if you have a US drop box you can get summit to ship there drive down swap and drive back they are cheaper if you do it this way, problem with them and CAN orders is they dont do international FedEx so your going to get nailed with brokerage and the associated taxes that follow all UPS orders to the great white north.

Full set Headers side pipes + glasspak muff's (all in black) are going to run you 1,218.97 CAN not including shipping or brokerage, figure another 200 easy.

oh ya and welcome to :CAC
Bill

Thanks for the info eh!
:cool

I really like the looks of the old style hooker sidepipes( the all chrome ones that you would burn your leg on if not careful) Thought about them for my ride at one time, found a set (not hooker, but looks like them) in the j.c.whitney book seems like for around 170.00. Did you try hedman headers, or do you already have hookers? (headers that is)

norms72,

NP :L

Jim, The hookers are the only ones that I have seen that offer the aggressive profile, notice the serpentine look as the exit the side of the car.

If your a traditionalist you can go with normal (wimpy ;) ) side pipe mount headers, but when I think about a shark I think aggressive.

Bill

They have the 4 chrome pipes coming out and going into one 31/2 inch chrome sidepipe that turns out in front of the rear wheel. Comes in 63", 73", and 83" lengths. Of course they have the 3" ones also. They also have a picture if you want to look at them. They look alot like the old hookers we used to run 20 years ago. The part # is 21NN3927W just in case you want to take a look.

Jim

HEADER-LOOK CHROMED SIDE PIPE KIT WITH 3-1/2" DIAMETER PIPES
2" diameter inlet tubes. Functioning inlet tube is enlarged to fit over 2" outside diameter header downpipe. Choose 63", 73", or 83" long. Kit features built-in high-flow mufflers (with efficient 6-sided louvered cores) to absorb noise, but not horsepower! Easy installation. Two welded brackets on each pipe allow easy, secure attachment of L-shaped hangers with nuts and bolts. Kits include: 2 complete pipes with 4 tube collectors, installation hangers, nuts and bolts. Choice of 3 lengths to accommodate virtually all applications.
Note: Length of side pipes is measured from the bend in the collector to the end of the side pipe.

Not headers, just pipes that wish they were headers

for those that wish to see

http://www.jcwhitney.com/SearchCatContainer.jhtml?_requestid=92539

Howdy all,
I have been thinking about sidepipes for my 80 and went back and found these forums.Just wondering if anyone tried the JC Whitney ones and how they actually look and perform?Any advice on the correct length to use and would they work better with headers or just follow off my ram horns already in place??
I seen to have a problem with clearance on mine here in Houston as the roads suck with the potholes and such and think they might lift me up quite a bit and look good as well.I even had a guy custom build my system now to get everything tighter to the bottom of the car but still scrape every now and then.
I was also wondering whats the big difference in Small block side pipes and Big Block?
I figure its something I can work on rainy days here and we're having alot of them lately!
Any and all info very welcome!
Thanks guys for all your info already,
Tim

Billy Bob, did you checkout Jet-hot? About a year ago I e-mailed them for a SB Sterling finish quote and I think it was $1025 delivered to my door. They're not chrome but won't corrode or discolor.

intex99 said:
I was also wondering whats the big difference in Small block side pipes and Big Block?Thanks guys for all your info already, Tim

Tim:
sb & BB two entirely different engines. The headers are quite different between sb & BB although the side tubes are the same ... probably sell more sb sidepipes than BB.

Thanks Jack!
I asked because I was wondering what the difference would be in the sidepipes(Back pressure,ect.). So would it be best to use the sidepipes with headers then?
Tim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom