Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Side pipes ear aches???

LIRacer

Corvette
65 with ZZ502
Ok, I am about to take the plunge and install my hooker 4" pipies using the glass packs or the JCLs. I am going to close the rear exhaust cutouts, so I am commited if I do it. Its a #s matching LT-1. I'd love to hear from other brothers who have these and how livable they are. I drive my LT-1 a lot. I'd hate to hate driving it because it too loud. Keep in mind that presently, I have a hooker header / Flo master combo installed and it sounds good.

Bruce :hb

I personally prefer the sound of the Flowmasters to the Hookers with glasspacks. They sound more aggressive to me. But, my dad has Hooker sidepipes with glasspacks on his car, and I don't think they're too loud. Of course, the ambient driving noise in the cabin will increase, and the sound does resonate through the cabin more, so conversation is more difficult.

Do you know anyone in your area that has a Shark with the Hookers? You could take a ride with them before you make your final decision.

I have them on my 69. I have the JCL baffles just waiting to go in. Although the car sounds cool, it lacks the polished refined sound of a good under body exhaust with high quality mufflers.

The sound is not too bad. It is hard to have a read deep conversation inside when going 70 mph, and a stock radio would never keep up.

It is very hard to hear/talk on my cell phone at 70 even with the top up, but it can be done.

I also installed the hoopty stereo so that I had the option of going deaf by cubic inches, or by cubic subs.

I don't know about your small block, but one cool thing about the hookers is my car sounds like an entire pack of harley hogs coming at you. In fact, most of my friends have told me they thought the Hells Angels had pulled up in their driveway when I come to visit.

The sound is unique, loud, and --- well, it is one of the few cars in the whole world that you can get away with doing it!

I plan on using the JCL baffles with the front cap in place. Removing it is known to net a few more ponies, but I too am concerned about extra noise.

Bought Thunder with hollowed out glass paks. Bubba slipped a cherry bomb type glass pak into the tube so there was an unobstructed inch and a half to see through. You could not hear yourself think or carry on a conversation so ordered Hooker glass paks from Ecklers.

Pulled the tubes and the glass paks had welded to the tubes. Slit the tubes, slipped in the Hookers and welded up the slit. Thank goodness they sounded great and you can carry on a conversation. But WOT is still LOUD!

If your a guy that likes to hear your cars exhaust, even when sitting at a light, you will love em, I do! Your car will be transformed into a new personality from the day they are installed. Oh and be sure to remind yourself and any passenger they will burn your leg if you touch them!

Owning any Vette is sweet but running Hooker sides makes things even sweeter :)

John

Black Thunder said:
Owning any Vette is sweet but running Hooker sides makes things even sweeter :)

John

Ain't it the truth.

I use those stick-in sponge ear plugs when cruising. Helps quite a bit.

They have them with or without string between them. They're like they use in small aircraft. Makes for even greater :cool factor at the stoplights. :D

Hmmm....

I have had my factory-esque pipes for two years. I don't mind the volume- granted its loud and I do set car alarms off regularly- but I would do it all over again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom