Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Side pipes

stratosjohn

Corvette
1976 coupe & 1987 convertible
Anyone put a set of side pipes on a 76 Vette? My wife would like to have a set put on hers if I can make it happen. I think that they were not an option on this year but she still likes them. Need to keep hers the way she wants it so I can keep mine the way I want it. If you have were they reproductions or after market types? Thanks.

Anyone put a set of side pipes on a 76 Vette? My wife would like to have a set put on hers if I can make it happen. I think that they were not an option on this year but she still likes them. Need to keep hers the way she wants it so I can keep mine the way I want it. If you have were they reproductions or after market types? Thanks.

The real issue is how your state is on emissions inspections. To have side pipes you need dual exhausts, and the last true duals were in 74 I believe.

you can go two ways either Hookers or the stock C3 style but check out your local laws first.
I have Hookers on my 76
I would suggest spending the extra cash to get the ceramic coated ones the others rust eventually.
52.JPG

We live in PA. We're in one of the counties that doesn't require the real strict emission testing (as of yet). Running classic plates on the car. The car already has headers on it and dual exhaust. I realize if our county goes to the stricter regulations I may need to revert back to something stock but it's already been altered from that.

Corvette Central sells the factory 69 pipes and the reproduction chrome covers.The Hooker Pipes are easy to find.(Summit,Ecklers,etc)When the time comes(?) i'm going to order mine directly from Jet-Hot.

I have a few friends with C3 and side pipes & when on day trips most of the wife’s refuse to go out for that long in the car because of the noise. The first time your wife burns the flesh off her leg getting in or out you may be going back to what you had. There are company’s that make shields for Hooker style pipes but I think there just for looks and don’t offer much protection.
Brian

I'm sure I have some scars from my burned flesh that was torn from body while getting out of my friends '74 that had Hooker's or the like. This is not what I expect from a Hooker. They sounded great! The car was an elephant, nothing like that BB grumble with side pipes.

sidepipes

I have a set of jethot coated hookers on my 76widebody/406.
I had a set of s.s.heat sheilds rolled for mine.They are 3ft long and cover from the collecter to the turn for the exit with 3/4 to 1" between the sheild to the pipes..I can run all day in the summer and touch the heat sheilds with my hand. It is hot but it wont burn my hand.I went to a local sheetmetal shop to have the 6/ea brackets and sheilds built. Good luck.---Marc.

I have a set of jethot coated hookers on my 76widebody/406.
I had a set of s.s.heat shields rolled for mine.They are 3ft long and cover from the collector to the turn for the exit with 3/4 to 1" between the shield to the pipes..I can run all day in the summer and touch the heat shields with my hand. It is hot but it wont burn my hand.I went to a local sheetmetal shop to have the 6/ea brackets and shields built. Good luck.---Marc.
Hey Marc, you got some pics of that setup?

stratosjohn, if you do decide on sidepipes, check with Jet-Hot as their prices for ceramic coated and their new sterling coating are very reasonable. (Cheaper than Summit Racing, which surprised me!)

I'm partial to the factory pipes...

LF_fr_qtr_lights_up.JPG

I have not been able to post pictures on this forum.You can email me at (dragster47@yahoo.com) and i will get you a picture of my car.

Marc.

Pictures of sidepipes sheilds

Here is the picture of the heatsheilds I hope this works.

Marc.

We live in PA. We're in one of the counties that doesn't require the real strict emission testing (as of yet). Running classic plates on the car. The car already has headers on it and dual exhaust. I realize if our county goes to the stricter regulations I may need to revert back to something stock but it's already been altered from that.

with classic plates in Pa, you're required an annual safety inspection and are exempt from emission inspection.

I have antique plates and am exempt from both.

Here is the picture of the heatsheilds I hope this works.
Take a look above at your post. Do you see the pics you think you posted? If not, then we won't either.
I currently don't see anything, but I can't guarantee they aren't there because my work firewall could be blocking the location where your pictures are being stored.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom