Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"sidepipes"

JCL

Corvette
1979 "383" TORCH RED- 2000 Torch Red "FRC."
CURIOUS!WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT PUTTING HOOKER STYLE SIDEPIPES ON C4'S?? YES! NO! MAYBE! THANKS, JCL

curious yes

want to put sidepipes on my 79 also. are they hard to get for that year?...Dar:w

Oh man, I've often thought about how to do something like that. :J

But the reality, or common sense, kicks-in and I remember the loudness, heat, etc. that goes with such a set-up. Mine allow conversation and listening to music at highway speeds possible, and I don't burn my legs. :L

I probably ;) give up some breathing to the header style exhaust, but it breathes as well as, if not better than, most other muffler systems on the market.

<JMHO>

I have really thought about running the exhaust from the cat directly to the side exits ahead of the rear wheels. This would eliminate the silencer capsule this is used under the side covers. I would still use the panels for effect. ;)

"SIDEPIPES"

DORIS. NOT REALLY. HOOKER MAKES THE WHOLE SET UP AND SUMMIT PROBABLY HAS THE BEST PRICE. HAVE TO CALL THOUGH, IT'S NOT IN THE CATALOG. KEEP ME POSTED IF YOU DO TRY IT!! 1987 Z51 LOOKS LIKE A SLICK SET UP. BUT COULD YOU SEE THOSE PIPES GLEAMING IN CHROME. OR BETTER YET STAINLESS STEEL!! WOW.

sidepipes

thanks guys for the input appreciate it. jcl i really like the way u put it. ken has a point to i no shes like ridin in a brick oven now espically wen its hot out oh boy! wat to do. probaly gona do it. still thinkin on it will let u know jcl how it turns out when i do it. thanx...Dar:s :s :s

I've got a very old issue of a '90 V-12 ZR-1 Titled "Conan the Corvette" somewhere..........& it has the older style sidepipes on it. It is very cool looking. I'll see if I can find that issue.....

Jay

JT ZR-Won said:
I've got a very old issue of a '90 V-12 ZR-1 Titled "Conan the Corvette" somewhere...

There we go again Jay, I know I've got that issue too, but just where...??? The Ryan Falconner Corvette, right? ;)

Ken

sidepipes

Jay and Ken if u could find the issue on conan the vette do ya think you guys could mail it to me i will send it right back to you in the mail. i would realy like to see that 90 vette sounds good. thanx again guys for your help. Dar:s

1987 Z51 said:

There we go again Jay, I know I've got that issue too, but just where...??? The Ryan Falconner Corvette, right? ;)

Ken

Ken, that is the issue.....but where oh where could it be:cry
I think a friend of mine has it actually..........i'll have to get that one back.......

Jay

ken

this is not about the pipes. but it is a question. this is such a great site everyone is so helpfull. how do u go about makin a donation to cca. i know it use to be on the home page but i can't seem to find now. Thanx Dar:upthumbs

Re: ken

doris anderson said:
how do u go about makin a donation to cca.

Doris, I assume that you mean the CAC and not the CCA ("Corvette Clubs of America").

If this is what you mean: "Help support the Corvette Action Center and become one of our Sponsors or Community Vendors!"; that comes from the supporting vendors page. I don't know of another link for something like that.

If you want to make a contribution to the Corvette Action Center, I suggest you get in touch with Rob, our illustrious Administrator. I'm sure he'll be glad to help you with your contribution. ;)

Thank you for keeping the CACC in your thoughts. :upthumbs

Ken

ken

yea ken that is wat i mean cacc contribution half asleep when writing that. i will get intouch with rob. thanx again Dar:J :J

HEY I got a question

Does anyone remember when the New Ford F150 came out (1997 I think)>??
They had they're pipes routed in front of rear wheels BUT they quicky discontinued them (form of a Recall!!) because the Soot and water Stained the rear wheels!!!!(which were not fixed)
I see lots of those trucks with the pipes out the rear now but they all of stained wheels

Would the same thing happen of my vette???

Falconer V12

I hope this isn't too big. Pun intented. The Falconer was a V12 big block used in aircraft. I'm told they made a V12 small block too. It may have been installed in a ZR1. I dodn't remember.

Tom

Re: Falconer V12

59Tom said:
I hope this isn't too big. Pun intented. The Falconer was a V12 big block used in aircraft. I'm told they made a V12 small block too. It may have been installed in a ZR1. I dodn't remember.

Tom

Tom,
That is the Motor Trend magazine I was mentioning above. It was a small block Falconer V-12 that was dropped in a '90 ZR-1 with sidepipes. I believe the car was pushing around 670 horsepower.

Jay

I've been looking...

...and still am, but I did come up with this so far:
The Small Block Chevrolet V8s
Want something different? How about one of Ryan Falconer's aluminum V12s? Weighing in at just 523 pounds, they're based on small block Chevy parts. Falconer still sells them, mostly to boat racers. You can get them in sizes from 300 to 641 cubic inches. Cost? Bring a Styrofoam cooler full of money...
Chevrolet, for no reason I could figure, actually built a prototype C4 Corvette with one of these. It's in the museum in Bowling Green. They stretched the chassis about six inches, it looks like, and extended the hood by the same amount. If it's not on display it's probably in the back; they rotate the cars from the back to the front from time to time.

I give up! I can't find the specific Corvette we're talking about. :eyerole Now I'm going to have to sit in the garage and go through hundreds of back-issues of the magazines stored there. :mad

;) :L Ken :w

Falconer

I intended to attach a photo taken at Bloomington several years ago of a Falconer V12 but the window came up that said my photo would consume the entire site. I sent the photo to Bud for downsizing. I still haven't installed Photoshop 6.0 yet. Gotta get that done. Anyway I'm sure this is a big block or at least it has splayed valve heads. I remember Hot Rod had a tech article on the engine about this time. I think I'll go search Hot Rod site for it. I'll post the picture as soon as I get it.

Tom

Re: Falconer

59Tom said:
...said my photo would consume the entire site.

ROTFLMAO :L

Tom, send it to me, I'll be glad to re-size it. ;)

Ken

BigRed said:
...the Soot and water Stained the rear wheels...
Would the same thing happen of my vette???

I don't have any problem with the side exits. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom