Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Silicon for Cam cover ?!

Hadi-ZR1

Corvette
90 ZR-1 silver
hello... anyone know which good brand Silicon is working best to reinstall the cam cover?

I have had the best luck with the GM grey silicon. Don't know why it works better it just does. Works best if left to dry overnight befor starting or getting wet.

You've had the best luck with GM grey silicone because it's what's known as a high-clay RTV. That's why its seal is more durable but it's also why it costs more. The only aftermarket source for high-clay sealer of which I am aware is Valco Cincinnati. It sells a product called All-In-One Silicone Extreme. Not sure about the name :) but the produt is virtually the same as what GM sells. It's what I use in my shop and a darn fine RTV.

hadi ., dont use silicone , remember that the cam cover is part of the bearing surface and the silicone will give more clearence than you should have . pm me your address and i will send you one of the 2 bottles i have left of the a 26b which is what they used when they built the motor. or i will get on the registry and find out what the locktite stuff everyone is using .

hadi , or corey says you can also use locktite 518. have a great day

You've had the best luck with GM grey silicone because it's what's known as a high-clay RTV. That's why its seal is more durable but it's also why it costs more. The only aftermarket source for high-clay sealer of which I am aware is Valco Cincinnati. It sells a product called All-In-One Silicone Extreme. Not sure about the name :) but the produt is virtually the same as what GM sells. It's what I use in my shop and a darn fine RTV.

Thanks, your response gives a reason as to why it works better. Cost is related to come backs :) so it's worth the difference.

thanks all for info... :beer
Bradly,Thanks Bro for your help, BUT do you know how stupid are they in CZECH REP. custom? i ship 4 new MSD coils there to my friend address, they ask my friend for some non-sense papers, just for $170 bill ??! To the hell.
Now its 6 days in custom not cleared, they ask for real invoice and the cost and if there is any credit card statement. WTF!! its from Big company SUMMIT,and the invoice in box!! :bash
i payed $60 for US express mail for fast delivery and now it stays for another 1 day = 7 days!!

I can't understand how they let this Country to join European Union, they still
has Communist headsh!T :puke

I hope they have this type of sealant there, i must google it.

I am sure in KUWAIT we have all best sealant you mentioned here guys, but the problem is to ship small product there and to face same problem with is with custom there... does not worth it.

Brad, we have in KUWAIT Permatex® Anaerobic ! in ACE HARDWARE, and other shops.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom