Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

slicks

black_81_vette

Corvette
black 81 corvette 4-speed
Any one here running slicks? If so what size? I picked up a pair of Good Year 27.5 x 11x15 for next to nothing! im wondering if they will fit? As of now im running 255 60 15s and have no traction!!

do you have a spare differential?

black_81_vette said:
Any one here running slicks? If so what size? I picked up a pair of Good Year 27.5 x 11x15 for next to nothing! im wondering if they will fit? As of now im running 255 60 15s and have no traction!!

If you're going to run slicks with stock half-shafts, get ready for this:

OZNVWWTQDGHPZSEESNWY-halfsh13.jpg

:beer

he'll split his diff at the pinion area and scatter it all over the floor before the halfshafts or even the u joints (if they're spicers, not the weak ones w/ the zerk) ... these aluminium cases don't handle slicks and/or dropping the clutch very well.

black_81_vette said:
I am sure the 27.5 will fit as that is very close to the height of my 225/70R15. The 15 part depends on your rim. The 11 is the only part I am not sure about. How wide is your 255/60?

Assuming these are not drag radials, the other obvious issue would be that these tires are soft side wall and will move around on the rim more than the radial tire so you may need more inside clearance than a radial tire of the same size.

Are you racing 1/4 mile? What are your 60' and 1/4 times now?

JohnZ said:
If you're going to run slicks with stock half-shafts, get ready for this:
Thats some SERIOUS sh**:nono I would have loved to seen that!!!! What kind of horsepower does that take?

Ron

OZNVWWTQDGHPZSEESNWY-halfsh13.jpg

:beer
Thats some SERIOUS sh**:nono I would have loved to seen that!!!! What kind of horsepower does that take?

Ron

Right now im into the high 13s with zero traction the trap speeds have been 108 or so 60 foot times were 2.0 sec or close to that.Im only making about 375 hp or so as far as i can guess. Im hoping I dont break since the rear is all new parts. My tires measure 27.1 tall the slicks are 27.5 street tires are 10 inch wide tread.

Stick with the road tyres, a little bit of wheel spin is kinder on the drive train and axle and in some cases if you have a peaky motor helps keep the motors rpm's in the sweet spot. I used to get my Vette off the line with at least 4000rpm on the tacho and dumping the clutch, which to be fair didn't last long, and even with tyres spinning got a best 60' time of about 1.7 and the axle is still exactly where it is supposed to be and in one piece, not so sure that would have been the case on slicks they also are a bit tall, what gears are you running.

Have Fun

J.

black_81_vette said:
Right now im into the high 13s with zero traction the trap speeds have been 108 or so 60 foot times were 2.0 sec or close to that.Im only making about 375 hp or so as far as i can guess. Im hoping I dont break since the rear is all new parts. My tires measure 27.1 tall the slicks are 27.5 street tires are 10 inch wide tread.

My 76 Trans Am that runs 12.60's with 1.73 60' times only makes about 105 MPH. The TA is very close in weight to my 75 Vette and I am guessing it can't be more than 300 HP or so. I would think with proper traction and gearing you should easily run low 12's at 375 HP.

According to specs, my P225/70R15 is 27.4" tall, so I would think the 27.5" would fit. Being 1" wider you will have to try them unless someone else here chimes in. I have read a lot on this site about what tire sizes fit and get varying reports.

I would be a little concerned that the tires are taller, but the tenths you gain in the hole should easily offset the disadvantage of extra height.

I have been considering putting my TA engine and trans into the Vette, but I am very concerned about the rear end staying together - and I have an automatic tranny. Keep us posted on the results.

Worst case is you break some parts and have to get better ones. At least the slicks were cheap!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom