Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

small run in with a Z06 sunday (long, kinda)

Brian,
I have met you at the Gathering before. Maybe there is more ET in my car then what I have seen, maybe the car is a factory freak, maybe the original owner did some mods I am not aware of, maybe the Z06 owners didn't know how to drive. All of these are possible, and I don't have answers to any of them.

I think that they are both terrific, high performance Corvettes. I would be proud to drive either one. Their performance is very similar. I am more concerned about spanking rice, Mustangs, etc than other Corvettes. I think that they are both great cars! :D

Hey Brian and Kevin, you guys are only two states away from each other. Why not meet in the middle for a little "Fun"? How about Columbus, Ohio!:D Home of National Trails Raceway. I'd be happy to role tape, and take on the winner. I'll even buy lunch!:_rock

Well:

Yes Kevin, we've met, sorry we didn't have a chance to chat at this years event. The weather really hindered people 'making the rounds' I think... Re: us running, sure, I'm up for it. I'm tentatively planning on going to Carlisle this year, we could hook up then if I do end up going?!?!?!

Brian A.

Brian,
Yeah the weather did suck and I was busy for the entire morning on thursday fixing the car. Damn injectors. Im not all that interested in running. If I win or lose what it is going to prove? That one of us were faster/the better driver on that road at that time. So what? Will it prove that one car is better then the other? No it won't. I ran my time at the Gathering in 99 so maybe there are a few mone tenths on the table. Im not to interested in running the car again just now.

Kevin:

Well, at the very least we can get together for a beer...

Brian A.

Only one? :) I will probably be there on thursday. I know I have a few rides set up with other people. But I'll see you at the :bar

Dad said:
Hey, it's just a story, who did you think would win. The winner is always the one telling the story. You have to make the C4 look good somehow. ;) :eyerole
My very first time at a drag strip with a car, my Z06, I ran an early ZR1 -

I thought oh boy, here we go, this ZR 1 is gonna whoop me.

Even with a terrible 60' time, no powershifting, and my inexperience, I beat the ZR1.

The other driver must have been a little worse than me.

I will downshift to third in my Z at anything under 80mph - I have walked other Z06's just by being willing to rev it into the power.

With these cars, as high performing as they are, it is all driver if they are anywhere near stock IMO.

I love that LT5 - like a jewel in the engine bay.

best regards -

mqqn

Anything can happen on the street, its an uncontrolled environment w/ too many variables to make a blanket statement. I find this a highly believable story.

:grinshot
B2k to ________<FILL blank the in>

:L

mqqn said:
I will downshift to third in my Z at anything under 80mph - I have walked other Z06's just by being willing to rev it into the power.
If not, you don't know how to drive the car. This puts the z right in it's power band. If you're in fourth at 70, you're around 3 grand. If you downshift to third, you're gonna be around 4 to 4.5. That puts you right in the sweet spot for the LS6. I have a 3:73 in my car and I still go to third bellow 80mph.

Im not all that interested in running. If I win or lose what it is going to prove? That one of us were faster/the better driver on that road at that time. So what? Will it prove that one car is better then the other? No it won't.
:eyerole No offense, but this seems like a bit of a lame response. If you're going to meet up anyway, why not put the cars to a test? Might not be a "Oops on the Z06".

Tom,
Im sorry my response doesn't suit you. I don't care if I win or lose a race. I race for the fun of it. I also don't like race other vette owners. I don't do it much and only under special circumstances.

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
Tom,
Im sorry my response doesn't suit you. I don't care if I win or lose a race. I race for the fun of it. I also don't like race other vette owners. I don't do it much and only under special circumstances.
Gee, I guess I should start this with: No offence anyone but, I like racing Vette's in my 03Z. Don't matter if it is a Vette, if they want to run, then we run. That is why drag racing is so fun to do. I don't look for rice because nine hundred and ninety nine percent can not get into the fourteens. Why bother. I think you should run a Z06, might give you a whole new perspective about the Z06, and its total weight of three thousand sixty pounds. Just a simple Vararam with those four hundred and five ponies is unbelievable. Sounds like your friend is offering you a great opportunity to test your ZR1 against his Z06. Also it sounds like he has been around a drag strip or two also. Why not go for it and have some fun. Just curious, just what does it cost to rebuild a ZR1 motor?
:w

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
Tom,
Once again Kevin, I truly did intend no offense. It just struck me as strange that you wouldn't want to give a Z06 another shot at your ZR1. You stated:

I have to say these cars are quick, but nothing that a good running ZR-1 can't take on. Im not talking 1/4 mile here, but on the street, yep... Am I gona run out and sell the KOTH? No way. This settles the ZR-1 Z06 debate for me. Im keeping the King.
I would agree with you about keeping your Z. I'd love to add one to my stable. However, you stated that the Z06 vs. ZR1 debate was settled for you based on this one run in with a Z06. I only contended that another match up between these two awesome Vettes might shed more light on this "debate". I, for one, would like to see the results of this "real world" comparison. :Steer

And, as I said, "I got next!" ;)

I should have expanded on what I ment by "the debate is settled for me". The Z06 is an amazing car, it's quick, it's light, it's cheap to mod, and it is an mind blowing track car. However there are things about the car that I don't like. Will I own a Z06 one day, I may. But there are other cars that I want to own first. Right now I have my eye on a red 94 ZR-1 with about 9,000 miles on it. I plan to do the same small mods on that car that I did to my 90. Mark Haibeck chip, Mark Coplin air duct, open air filter housing, maybe, if Mark Coplin releases it, new air box.

slong said:
Just curious, just what does it cost to rebuild a ZR1 motor?
:w
rebuild to stock CID's or to a bigger cube motor?

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
rebuild to stock CID's or to a bigger cube motor?
A question with a question, hmmmmmmmmm, let me think? How about both. Wait! I know the answer for a bigger motor. How about back to factory?

slong said:
A question with a question, hmmmmmmmmm, let me think? How about both. Wait! I know the answer for a bigger motor. How about back to factory?
-0- The LT5 is damn near bullit proof.

Typically 10K for a rebuild to stock and 12-13k for a 368

just hope if you're in NY you don't try runnin' with a very stock looking t/r z06

Bullies... ya'll are bullies...

ZO6 vs ZR-1....

It is like watching two kids fighting in the school yard during recess. I just hope you two are proud of yourselves. Taking such nice cars and starting a "racist" movement over OHV or DOHC. Next thing you know- the C6's will be in here talking about drag coefficients. And lets not even discuss midyears and displacement....

Can't we all get along and go back to the days when we used kick Ford around!!!
;LOL

DarkShark78 said:
ZO6 vs ZR-1....

It is like watching two kids fighting in the school yard during recess. I just hope you two are proud of yourselves. Taking such nice cars and starting a "racist" movement over OHV or DOHC. Next thing you know- the C6's will be in here talking about drag coefficients. And lets not even discuss midyears and displacement....

Can't we all get along and go back to the days when we used kick Ford around!!!
;LOL
Hey, my Dad's tougher than your Dad! ;)

BTW: I want this one... http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56700

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom