Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

small run in with a Z06 sunday (long, kinda)

pbadad said:
just hope if you're in NY you don't try runnin' with a very stock looking t/r z06
Hey dad, what's that hair dryer thingy for? :confused ;LOL

DarkShark78 said:
ZO6 vs ZR-1....

It is like watching two kids fighting in the school yard during recess. I just hope you two are proud of yourselves. Taking such nice cars and starting a "racist" movement over OHV or DOHC. Next thing you know- the C6's will be in here talking about drag coefficients. And lets not even discuss midyears and displacement....

Can't we all get along and go back to the days when we used kick Ford around!!!
;LOL
I agree with this. I've pretty much preached the same thing for years now. I own a ZR-1. I love the car and refuse to sell it for anyone or anything. It's an awesome Corvette; it was my first Corvette, and I've put over 27,000 miles on the car in the 10 years that I've owned it. All 27,000 miles were added with a smile on my face.

The Z06 is an awesome car, and although trying to compare the ZR-1 to the Z06 is fun, it's also like comparing Apples and Oranges. The Z06 is light years ahead of the ZR-1 in technology. Back in the early 90's the ZR-1 was the pinnacle. Technology advances, and so do cars. The ZR-1 is no longer the pinnacle, nor is it the King of the Hill any longer. Unfortunately, some Corvette owners get too hung up on title and stigma instead of paying more attention to reality.

Again, the ZR-1 is an awesome Corvette and a highlight of the marque, but it is not the ultimate Corvette to own. I'm not even sure you can say there is an ultimate Corvette to own.

Will I ever own a Z06? Probably - years down the road. I want a Z16. I also want one of these ole jalopies that Corvette Development is planning on releasing in 2006. ;) ;) Both will make nice stable mates with my ZR-1 and I'll be proud to own and drive both as much as I have with my ZR.

Just my opinion.

I can't believe that this thread has survived for over two years and three pages w/o someone commenting that the original premise about the Z06 identification may have been wrong.
90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
Im going up a hill and see a red C5, ok I'll get behind him. Then I see the tires, those are kinda wide for a C5, then the exhaust, hummmmm oval pipes. I think we have a Z06. He down shifts and gets on it. Yep Z06.
1) Stock rear tire size on a C5 is 275/40-18; on a Z06 it is 295/35-18. That 20mm width difference equates to about .75". I don't think I would notice the difference on a moving vehicle.
2) Z06s didn't come with oval pipes - C5s did.

In any event, wider tires and aftermarket exhaust are one of the first mods that most people do. I think a better ID would be the things that the owner can't easily change out. Was it an FRC (fixed roof coupe)? Did it have the exposed brake vents in front of the rear wheels? Did it have Z06 badging on the front fenders? Of course, even this method of identification isn't foolproof, but it would be a lot more believable.

Hey, we all have stories.

BUT, my Z06 is FAST. Not much in town here can touch me.

There are a couple of Vipers, but no other vettes about to bother me.

Hehehe!

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CAR AND DRIVER!!

Start shifting..!

-Bill.;)

"Nice work Rob"

Well said. I second it.
Rob said:
I agree with this. I've pretty much preached the same thing for years now. I own a ZR-1. I love the car and refuse to sell it for anyone or anything. It's an awesome Corvette; it was my first Corvette, and I've put over 27,000 miles on the car in the 10 years that I've owned it. All 27,000 miles were added with a smile on my face.

The Z06 is an awesome car, and although trying to compare the ZR-1 to the Z06 is fun, it's also like comparing Apples and Oranges. The Z06 is light years ahead of the ZR-1 in technology. Back in the early 90's the ZR-1 was the pinnacle. Technology advances, and so do cars. The ZR-1 is no longer the pinnacle, nor is it the King of the Hill any longer. Unfortunately, some Corvette owners get too hung up on title and stigma instead of paying more attention to reality.

Again, the ZR-1 is an awesome Corvette and a highlight of the marque, but it is not the ultimate Corvette to own. I'm not even sure you can say there is an ultimate Corvette to own.

Will I ever own a Z06? Probably - years down the road. I want a Z16. I also want one of these ole jalopies that Corvette Development is planning on releasing in 2006. ;) ;) Both will make nice stable mates with my ZR-1 and I'll be proud to own and drive both as much as I have with my ZR.

Just my opinion.

one thing i noticed out of this story is it was a roll race and every Z06 owner that commented pretty much said from a dig it's the Z06 hands down. from a roll the ZR1. so with this information and knowing BOTH cars fairly well why isn't this story believable?

i think it's more of the my newer car is faster no matter what than your older car syndrome.

and sorry but not every 385 Z driver can take their car to a 12.2 every time they want. most are 12.6's and up.

just stating facts here.

Like has been said: on the street there are alot of variables to take into account when ya run your car. One guy has a 01 Z06 that runs 12.2 but the guy thar bought the car built after his can only run 12.8 with his. Point is there is never gonna be 2 totally equal cars of the same year. Back in 87 when Buick had ASC modify GN's into GNX's some cars left ASC with 325 hp and a few were as high as 370. It is called tolerances of the parts. I have seen tests that had 375 HP ZR1's run 12.7 and some 405 HP Cars run 13.1's. It all depends on what parts got into the car. Nothing is exact with these cars. And of course driver makes a difference too.

As far as the Z06 being more technologically advanced you are right. However the ZR1 was putting out 405HP in 1995 and the Z06 got 405HP in 2002. How much more would the ZR1 have put out had it been continued and kept developing the LT5? I think the Vette really should have an "exotic" engine like the LT5. Just my .02

:beer

From what I have seen the Z06 has edged out the ZR-1 slightly, but I like the fact that the LT5 is bullet proof (thats why I own one)..

The ZR1 (in its day) was not like the Z06 is today.. it was more like what the Ford GT is today... The fasted american made car on the road.

I remember a post by a guy who's brother owned a z06 and he a zr-1..he stated that they raced often and almost always the two were equal to 100mph...after 100mph the zr-1 pulled ever so slowly away from the zo6..this i belive..now we need to get a c-6 to run his brothers zr-1 over and over so we can see what happens then!!!!

mqqn said:
I will downshift to third in my Z at anything under 80mph - I have walked other Z06's just by being willing to rev it into the power.

mqqn
Yup, the LS6 likes to be above 4500RPM, many dislike revving their engine up there ... for some strange reason. I guess those are the "cruisers"...

ZO6vettepilot

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
I should have expanded on what I ment by "the debate is settled for me". The Z06 is an amazing car, it's quick, it's light, it's cheap to mod, and it is an mind blowing track car. However there are things about the car that I don't like. Will I own a Z06 one day, I may. But there are other cars that I want to own first. Right now I have my eye on a red 94 ZR-1 with about 9,000 miles on it. I plan to do the same small mods on that car that I did to my 90. Mark Haibeck chip, Mark Coplin air duct, open air filter housing, maybe, if Mark Coplin releases it, new air box.
OOPS... somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but 1994 and later can't be modded with a simple chip, the computer housing is sealed. All fuel table, timing etc. modifications must be performed by reprogramming with a scanner/programmer like Hypertech, LS1 Edit, Predator etc.:)

ZO6vettepilot

vettepilot said:
OOPS... somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but 1994 and later can't be modded with a simple chip, the computer housing is sealed. All fuel table, timing etc. modifications must be performed by reprogramming with a scanner/programmer like Hypertech, LS1 Edit, Predator etc.:)

ZO6vettepilot
I believe that is correct for the LT1 corvette, but for the ZR1, all ECMs had a prom that could be changed out..

I think that is one of the reasons GM discontinued the LT5.. they did not want to spend any more $$ designing and testing the LT5 control system to meet OBDII and emmissions...

I want to say something to all you ZR1 guys. The ZR1 is the pinnacle of the C4. I owned a '96 "Collector Edition" vert, and I still miss that car. If it'd been a LT4, I might have kept it. Stock for stock, on the street, the two cars are very close. Put them on a road course, and the 06 will shine. All this being said, I think the ZRs are some of the sharpest, rarest Vettes on the planet! And if I'm being completely honest, I think they're better looking than most C5s. I still think it's neat to see a ZR1 on the street, a Z06 is not as big a deal (and I LOVE my blown 06!)

You ZR1 guys own a piece of Corvette lore. The Vette that put performance back in the name. Keyboard racing sure is fun though ain't it!:D

Z06 Tom said:
I want to say something to all you ZR1 guys. The ZR1 is the pinnacle of the C4. I owned a '96 "Collector Edition" vert, and I still miss that car. If it'd been a LT4, I might have kept it. Stock for stock, on the street, the two cars are very close. Put them on a road course, and the 06 will shine. All this being said, I think the ZRs are some of the sharpest, rarest Vettes on the planet! And if I'm being completely honest, I think they're better looking than most C5s. I still think it's neat to see a ZR1 on the street, a Z06 is not as big a deal (and I LOVE my blown 06!)

You ZR1 guys own a piece of Corvette lore. The Vette that put performance back in the name. Keyboard racing sure is fun though ain't it!:D
Well put Tom and coming from a blown z06 guy I think that says a lot! LONG LIVE THE "ORIGINAL" KING OF DA HILL!!!

locobob said:
6 months? Try 2 years! I agree, this issue has been beaten to death.
Hell, I havn't looked at it in about a year. Let it go people let it go.

I dragged against a friend's ZR-1 one time only. My first drag race on the strip ever and he is experienced. I had my bone stock '03 Z06 and he a '92 (I think) ZR-1 with Rippie top end job. I did the launch technique as described on Z06vette.com w/launch at 2,500 and feather the clutch, then hit it. I was sleeping off the line and he got me by .5 second. By the end of the run he crossed the line first but my ET was .3 seconds faster so he beat me by .02. His experience started to show...his times kept getting better and better and mine got worse. Turns out I was getting greedy and started lighting up the tires without knowing it. Track was at Boise (high altitude) and hot (track temp 140). Our times were 13.5 for me and 13.8 for him, iirc.

Just thought you might like a real world track showdown. BTW...this guy has since bought an '03 Z06--keeping his ZR-1.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom